The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build a better BOSS Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
SHES ALIVE!!! she purrs like a kitten and roars like a lion! I can't take her home until later today though. they needed some more time to finish bleeding the clutch, fix an exhaust leak, burp the coolant and give her a bath.

what a relief! I know I can build engines, but I go through this heart palpitation dealio every time before they come to life. Its just par for the course, I guess ::) I have built a 2.3 turbo SVO, 4 Windsor 5.0's, a 347 stroker, a 408 stroker, but never a quad overhead cam v8 engine...until now! I guess the real test is still to come when she debuts at my local track, but today, I seized a victory! yay me! man, my arm really hurts from all that hyperextending trying to pat my own back 8)

pufferfish said:
I have built a 2.3 turbo SVO, 4 Windsor 5.0's, a 347 stroker, a 408 stroker, but never a quad overhead cam v8 engine...until now! I guess the real test is still to come when she debuts at my local track, but today, I seized a victory! yay me!
Congratulations and I hope it smells like victory on the track.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=sBksHaTQCbU[/youtube]

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
So it's not all roses, but I just need to be patient. The gt intake is a labyrinth of tubes that is harboring oil. Oil that is randomly getting sucked in and causing misfires and temporary limp modes. They say it could take a week to get it all out of there or I could just beat the daylights out of it and suck it out sooner. I had an opportunity or two to goose her a bit and WHOAH! Can't tell if there is more pep in her step or just that I've been without power for 2 months? I need to find a road trip to clear it out and get my breakin miles so I can get back to doing what I do best!

On another note, the spec stage 1 clutch is going to take getting used to. The pressure plate is heavier, so it's harder to modulate for a smooth takeoff. I won't be taking off in second any time soon!

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Sorry to hear.

Is that sucking more/new oil in or residual oil from before? It does take a while to suck out any residual oil from the plenum, if that's where it's coming from.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
pufferfish said:
So it's not all roses, but I just need to be patient. The gt intake is a labyrinth of tubes that is harboring oil. Oil that is randomly getting sucked in and causing misfires and temporary limp modes. They say it could take a week to get it all out of there or I could just beat the daylights out of it and suck it out sooner. I had an opportunity or two to goose her a bit and WHOAH! Can't tell if there is more pep in her step or just that I've been without power for 2 months? I need to find a road trip to clear it out and get my breakin miles so I can get back to doing what I do best!

On another note, the spec stage 1 clutch is going to take getting used to. The pressure plate is heavier, so it's harder to modulate for a smooth takeoff. I won't be taking off in second any time soon!

If you are not running a breather can after all this ordeal, I don't even know what to say.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Steve
Silly question, did you replace the original PCV valve in the right valve cover? If the old one was bad that could contribute to sucking oil into the intake. Also get a breather can as Arizona suggests. If the oil is residual, take the intake off and fill the plenum with denatured alcohol to wash it out then blow it out with compressed air. I would then throw it in the oven at 175 degrees to evaporate any residual alky. Shouldn't have any oil left in there after that. If you have oil ingestion after that something is wrong. Also pull the plugs and clean them if they are oil fouled before the cant be and cause detonation due to cooked on deposits.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
To be clear, the oil being ingested is from the old engine. The dealer dumped a bunch out on teardown. Then I took it and let it sit vertical to drain for about 2 weeks. Then when I flipped it around more came out. It's just very difficult to flush out this thing with the helical runner path. I do like the idea to pull it off and fill it with denatured alcohol and then bake it dry. I think I will try that rather than risk fouling any longer.

I will also be pulling the plugs to check for fouled out, will clean them all up and I also want to do a compression test just to make sure the rings are seating properly.

I have the moroso oil separator that just needs to be installed, but I wanted to do it after emissions since bypassing the pcv system is not legal.

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
Sounds good. Did you replace PCV? Also after emissions please put on the Moroso can, a Boss intake and a tune! Pretty please, those heads and valve springs aren't being exercised being choked by that intake and running below 7000 rpm. When I buy my Cobra Jet setup I'll give you a good deal on my Boss intake ;)
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I haven't replaced the pcv, but I don't think it matters because I am going with the moroso can, which will be an open system (no vacuum drawn through).

I know Steve! You've campaigned well for the boss intake! I just think there's merit to the gt. so as an engineer, I will obtain empirical data to determine which manifold suits my needs best. Of course I want the boss to win...if for nothing more than it looks fantastic on top of that engine!

That does bring up a thought though. No reason I can't put the boss intake on with the bama retune while I get the "BP gulf oil spill" cleaned up. I can continue to get the engine broken in!

chefron50 said:
How about trying seafoam,that is what most of the gm- ls engines use,exaust is awful but it works great.
I think seafoam is more for built up carbine in the cylinders, plus I would hate to think how much you would need to flush through the intake to get all the oil out and what that would cost.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I pulled the intake yesterday after multiple P0300 and limp modes. what I found was astonishing:
5m1b.jpg

runners caked in oil! and its not as dark as the oil that dumped out of the intake, so I am sure its drawing in new oil. don't know how to check a pcv for proper operation, but it doesn't offer resistance to me blowing or sucking in either direction, so I assume its toast. I am ordering a new one today.

I cleaned the intake with denatured alcohol as steveespo suggested and let it sit overnight. I tried to install the moroso oil separator, but it appears I got one for a 96-04. the bracket is wrong. I also realized this is a non-vented canister, so its intended to work with a closed pcv system, not as an open system to eliminate the pcv system. its a much larger can than the JLT, so I am hoping it will hold off more oil vapor.

I was very tempted to drop the boss intake on, but it had some oil in it as well. so it got cleaned too. I haven't had that intake on in a long time, so my pcv was failing for quite some time.

I would send that info into Ford and refute your warranty claim. Then again I just like to argue, so it probably wouldn't do any good, that can't be a horribly expensive piece though which is nice.

TMO Supporting Vendors