The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Build a better BOSS Engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
I have been running code free for 2 days now. hope I have enough miles logged to pass emissions today.

this is how I got code free: i cleaned out the intake really well. i got the new pcv and it works exactly the same as the old one. i guess i can't generate enough vacuum with my mouth as the intake, so it just doesn't close? well, i put the new one in anyhow and plumbed my oil separator. took it out and got code immediately. i pulled the coil packs and checked all the plugs for fouling. all was well. so, i had the granatelli COP's that i had not installed yet. I figured if it was misfiring due to oil, a stronger spark will help. it didn't.

i had an hour long trip to think about what was going on. then it hit me. i recall hearing that a crank trigger relearn must be done after changing clutches or the pulse ring (both of which were done). so, on my way back home, i stopped in at Koons to ask the tech if he had done this and any other relearns necessary on a completely new engine. well the tech wasn't there, but the service manager took my car in and hooked it up. he first told me that everything resets when the battery is disconnected for that long and that on first startup, everything would relearn. well, some testing later, i asked him to do relearns on anything available in the program. there is a crank relearn, a misfire recalibration and something else i can't remember right now. he did all three and all the codes went away!

the true test will be Saturday, when i gradually work my way up to "flogging" it on track. but as it is, everything is copasetic.

You are 100% correct. When they changed out my flywheel, clutch, and pulse ring, Capaldi racing had to get a Ford ProCal tool to do the relearning. Disconnecting the battery won't do it.

Steve, if you happen to be at Summit Saturday it would be awesome to have you instruct as I am not sure who I would end up with.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
...might be nice if the FORD DEALER would know they needed to do this! :eek:

I swear, it seems that nowadays, most professionals I contract to do anything, simply have less knowledge, less pride in their craftsmanship and less concern for customer service and satisfaction. is it the area I live in? is it a sign of the times?

I think about opening a shop every now and again to bring this concept back. I just fear I will never find a technician who cares enough about their craft to actually accomplish this.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Brandon302 said:
Steve, if you happen to be at Summit Saturday it would be awesome to have you instruct as I am not sure who I would end up with.

well brandon, I didn't sign up to instruct. I need to focus my attention on the car this time. but I will be there for sure. packing up the car today. maybe I will see you on the road out! hey, do you know how to view the registration list? it used to be right there on the site, but now with the new registration site, it seems to be gone or somewhere I cant find it?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
pufferfish said:
...might be nice if the FORD DEALER would know they needed to do this! :eek:

I swear, it seems that nowadays, most professionals I contract to do anything, simply have less knowledge, less pride in their craftsmanship and less concern for customer service and satisfaction. is it the area I live in? is it a sign of the times?

I think about opening a shop every now and again to bring this concept back. I just fear I will never find a technician who cares enough about their craft to actually accomplish this.
sign of the times most of the time. I have thought about opening a shop as well once I retire from the navy.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Justin said:
sign of the times most of the time. I have thought about opening a shop as well once I retire from the navy.
Justin, you have a lot of solid advice and knowledge, so you would be a good candidate for a successful shop owner. too bad you aren't local...could be a partnership ;)

When you refer to Koons, is it the one on security blvd? As for trying to find good help these days your spot on for the sign of the time's. Half hearted people that consistently wonder why do i have to do that, instead of pick me, pick me. But they can tell you when the next payday is here.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
racered302 said:
When you refer to Koons, is it the one on security blvd? As for trying to find good help these days your spot on for the sign of the time's. Half hearted people that consistently wonder why do i have to do that, instead of pick me, pick me. But they can tell you when the next payday is here.

exactly how I have perceived it!

the Koons Ford of Annapolis on Riva Road

pufferfish said:
well brandon, I didn't sign up to instruct. I need to focus my attention on the car this time. but I will be there for sure. packing up the car today. maybe I will see you on the road out! hey, do you know how to view the registration list? it used to be right there on the site, but now with the new registration site, it seems to be gone or somewhere I cant find it?
It is a different site, no longer dlbracing and is now http://www.motorsportreg.com/index.cfm/event/event.advert/uidEvent/D94E03CF-A5D5-3E11-C4B03C637962D9A3#.UjOnFcbbN8F . Ill have to get a ride along then and vice versa if time permits.

Also, I told someone about this entire ordeal and he gave me his number. He said that his nephew/cousin works as a Ford tech and handles stuff like this all the time, said that you can't have something claimed under warranty if the tech writes it up a specific way.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Yesterday was a resounding success! I ran the gt intake and a street tune to keep things safe. I short shifted at 6000 all morning and worked up to 6500 for the afternoon. I did work in a few 7000 pulls, but was definitely not giving it the hell I normally do. I would say everything is working well together. I had an amazing fast lap followed by a 1st place for raw time and PAX! A blistering 1:23.7 on Summit main! That's podium for most American iron races!

I give most of the credit to those amazing continental gt-o's.

Impressive but I agree that you should put the Boss or even CJ intake on your new engine. Where are you going to set the rev limit?

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
pufferfish said:
Yesterday was a resounding success! I ran the gt intake and a street tune to keep things safe. I short shifted at 6000 all morning and worked up to 6500 for the afternoon. I did work in a few 7000 pulls, but was definitely not giving it the hell I normally do. I would say everything is working well together. I had an amazing fast lap followed by a 1st place for raw time and PAX! A blistering 1:23.7 on Summit main! That's podium for most American iron races!

I give most of the credit to those amazing continental gt-o's.
Man I just ran a 1:23.89 best on Summit Main iRacing with the FR500C. You are really killing it with those monster Contis.
Have fun out there.
Steve

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
Now I need to dump the stock gt (aside from lowering springs) suspension and really run that track!

Don't worry, the boss intake will get a fair shot;)

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
yes! checked the oil level before and after every session! learned my lesson for sure! also checked the oil separator can and I had a couple teaspoons after each session.

just got the video loaded. I actually had 2 back-to-back 1:23.7's.

lap 1: 1:24.7
lap 2: 1:24.9
lap 3: 1:23.7
lap 4: 1:23.7
lap 5: 1:28.7 - I was being held up by a baby grand stock car and then he blew the engine right after that lap ended.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpUzfU8useA[/youtube]

TMO Supporting Vendors