The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Car you wish you still had

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I had a '70 Mach I 428 SCJ R-Code with shaker and wing. It was a real SCJ with the tougher close ratio toploader, a 4.30 Detroit Locker, different engine internals, oil cooler, etc. It was a total drag car, geared to redline in 4th at the end of the 1/4 mile. It was the worst handling car I ever owned though.

It is ridiculous what they go for now. Someday I'll dig through the boxes of photos I have and find the one crappy picture of it that I still have and scan it.

I've also owned a '65 Corvair Corsa (four one-barrel carburetors), a '69 AMC AMX with the 390/4-speed Go Pack, a '73 4-door Pontiac Grand Am 400 (I haven't seen one of those in over 25 years, there are not even any '73-'75 Grand Ams on eBay!), a '77 Trans Am T/A 6.6, '83 Mustang 5.0 5-speed LX notchback with t-tops and Recaros, a '85 Capri RS 5.0, '88 Mazda 323 GTX (only 2000 made and 1000 in the US), and a 2006 Mazdaspeed6 (one of the most obscure and underrated cars of all time).

My 2013 Boss is definitely the best car I've ever owned, but the '70 Mach I was the coolest. It was the very definition of a scary muscle car from the peak of the scary muscle car era.

64 detomaso indy car. set up for formula one back in 64 when the car was not making the grade at indy prior to that 500.
destroked sb ford. hilbore injectors ect...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
In 1987 I owned one of these
SpoilerII_zpsbd084045.jpg

I spent a year stripping the body and gutting the car down to a shell to make a replica of this with a Boss 429.
DansSpoilerII_zps3f82dd5d.gif

Lost the fire and sold all of it for $4000 (including a "T" code Boss 429 engine) to buy my '89 Thunderbird Supercoupe.
Wish I had all of them back.
Steve

MGCurry

2013 Boss 302 #1548 SBY
1970 Torino Cobra J code, 4sp Hurst factory detriot locker staggerd shock traction bars and 4:30 gears, solid lifters the works.... I never want to sell one of my babies again.

70cobra.jpg

img0123mz.jpg

cobra6282001atlizzard.jpg

MGCurry, nice Torino's...I have a brother that owns 3, 70 Cobra 429SCJ, 73 notch, 73 Sports Roof Q code... At the Carlisle show he always comments about the Torinos being the forgotten Ford cars. The 70 was ordered with a bench seat, drum brakes, shaker and that is it...will not stop! But a fun car on the straights.

Has to be my '66 GT 350. Owned it in college, 1970 to be exact. Too young and poor to keep it. I did drive it from Santa Barbara to Laguna Seca to see Parnelli Jones win the '70 Trans Am there.

Or maybe it was my 1964 Porsche 356 SC. I dunno....

Each of the car's I've had have fit a particular time in my life and filled a special role. It would be tempting for me to identify several cars I could wish I still had, but the truth is what I really would want to do is relive the respective era I had the car in.

So in that sense, I'm going to say none. The cars I wish I had are those I have now.

I have owned 9 Mustangs since I was 16 years old, 4 of them being Saleen Mustangs. The only one I would want back, and wish we never got rid of, was our 1985-#115 T-Top Saleen. Being 1985 was Steve's first full year of production, and only 140 examples exist make it a point in itself. But being Saleen only converted 21 total T-Top cars between 1984 and 1987 makes this one getting away even harder. Live and learn.
Saleen4-5-08-26.jpg

NFSBOSS said:
Very nice. Those early Saleen's were Bad A$$ looking. Plus I'm a big fan of Fox bodied Mustangs.
Thanks Rick. Quite crude by todays standards, but man, these where the cars I lusted after as a high schooler back in the 80's. Good times!

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel