The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway February 18th and 19th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Definitely having a good time and the weather's great. Hopefully they have our cars ready this morning.......lots of tire and brake changes to keep the pit crew busy :eek:

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Definitely having a good time and the weather's great. Hopefully they have our cars ready this morning.......lots of tire and brake changes to keep the pit crew busy :eek:
the track crew was working on them until probably 9 pm or so; they are ready

I was only able to play at Chuckwalla yesterday. Had a great time and great meeting all of you out there! Will post up some pics later today.

PeteInCT said:
Absolutely Bill, his and the one trying to catch him ;D
John ran his pads to the backing plates THROUGH the rotors yesterday so they nicknamed him Gary. Nice.

I just had a clunk on a fast right hander and was getting a wobble up front so pitted in......only to find I sheared 3 studs on the front left. God didn't want me today I guess. Anyone running the stock studs should be swapping to ARPs. I was on a "street" tire btw. Falken Azeni RT615s.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
John ran his pads to the backing plates THROUGH the rotors yesterday so they nicknamed him Gary. Nice.

I just had a clunk on a fast right hander and was getting a wobble up front so pitted in......only to find I sheared 3 studs on the front left. God didn't want me today I guess. Anyone running the stock studs should be swapping to ARPs. I was on a "street" tire btw. Falken Azeni RT615s.

...you just *HAD* to break stuff! ;D

Was great meeting everyone! We'll have to do something again soon...

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:

Glad to hear you caught it before disaster. Big lesson to all, check lug torque before each session. Also change to High strength studs if yo do a lot of track days.
Steve

cloud9 said:

WOW...glad to hear you brought it in and caught it. Guessing probably took them quite a while to fix that one :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Wow, thanks for the heads up. I tend to ride the curbs and never have seen an issue with studs , but sure sounds like I had better count my blessings. Glad it turned out okay , Gary!!

this is the stuff that bugs me. for the super small amount of COGS that Ford absorbs by putting some of these things on the cars stock (and pass the price along to me, I don't care)...to be 'track ready'...and they cost a pretty penny to add aftermarket (labor cost)...I just wish they'd done it from the factory.
I'm on record as LOVING my boss...and I'm a life-long Ford fan (and ex-employee)...but good wheels studs, metal valve stems, accommodations for tow hooks...stuff like that would be a great starting point. I get it that 9x% of people won't ever use / need them...but let's a build for those that will.

thinking about Chuckwalla this last two days...must have been spectacular...between the facility, the weather, the people...and, oh ya, the cars...of these, these greatest is the people. Rick, Gary...and whoever else...thanks for keeping up the best part of being a mustang owner...the community. Sorry that I had to bail out at the last minute...but I'm glad you guys seem to have worked out some of the kinks in the car...and I'm so glad you guys had fun.

Thanks we had a GREAT time. Sounds like maybe the lugs were getting hit with a gun at one of the shops they went to. It was really fun meeting everyone and wish you would have been able to make it John. Since we had such a good time we should do it again next year. They got the cars back up and rrunning and Mickey made it out for some hot laps with us. Rick got a ride along with him and I got to follow and learn a couple new lines that helped shave a couple more seconds. All in all a great time.

cloud9 said:

Wow, that's scary. I have the arp studs (got them for Xmas). Ill install them while I fix my splitter. Great trip! Fun to meet you all.

Btw did the school cars have lap timers? What were you guys running?

Mike (z06), Paul and I took turns with my starlane laptimer (I like it a lot btw)
My best was a 2:10 same with Paul
Mike turned a 2:02 in his z06

Keavdog said:
Wow, that's scary. I have the arp studs (got them for Xmas). Ill install them while I fix my splitter. Great trip! Fun to meet you all.

Btw did the school cars have lap timers? What were you guys running?

Mike (z06), Paul and I took turns with my starlane laptimer (I like it a lot btw)
My best was a 2:10 same with Paul
Mike turned a 2:02 in his z06
They clocked Rick and John at 2:08 and I managed a 2:06 the last time out chasing Mickey.

We had a few bumps along the way but in the end we had a great time. Between driving a car with modified suspension and the ride along with Mickey my lap times dropped by two seconds. It was nice meeting members for the first time and seeing the ones I've met before again. If they'll have us back we'll do it again next year.

BTW I really like that track.

Next up is "Do the screw in your 302. I'm meeting with Gordon from Hooked on Driving this Sunday and hope to have the date nailed down then. Probably Thursday June 20th or Sunday August 25th. Stay tuned

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
They clocked Rick and John at 2:08 and I managed a 2:06 the last time out chasing Mickey.

My roadblock and I only managed a 2:12 :( Still have to comb thru the rest of the video, but I think that's it for me. I'm loving the grip from the R-S3s, but I definitely need to get more comfortable with the added grip and the relative lack of noise compared to the PSSs and P Zeros.

Good work shaving seconds off your day 1 times! Thanks again to you and Rick for setting this up! Thanks to Chris for bringing the parts plus helping to get the valence in...and thanks to Jason for the coaching and lead/follow...much appreciated guys!

You boys are fast!

I uploaded the telemetry from my laptimer and here's my line on my 2:10. This thing is cool - you can do an onscreen comparison of any 3 laps and run them in realtime. Just getting started with this software

FastLap_zps543a8e86.png

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel