The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Chuckwalla Valley Raceway February 18th and 19th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grant 302 said:
:D But I'm thinking of bringing my lowly 412HP GT...

I just want a some constructive criticism and coaching from inside the car!
LOL it's not the horsepower difference but the suspension and tires.

Talking with Mickey he suggest only two guys with one coach for the day or you wouldn't get that much value out of it. He said you could go to as many as three guys splitting a coach but he wouldn't recommend it as he didn't feel you would get enough personal attention to get the benefit.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
LOL it's not the horsepower difference but the suspension and tires.

Talking with Mickey he suggest only two guys with one coach for the day or you wouldn't get that much value out of it. He said you could go to as many as three guys splitting a coach but he wouldn't recommend it as he didn't feel you would get enough personal attention to get the benefit.

I was just kidding about the HP...my main problem is the guy behind the wheel. Only reason I'm looking for a little coaching is that I like to work on just one or two things to improve at a time. It's enough for me to be learning a new track...not easy for me if I have someone providing input for a whole day.

Just left Renee a message. If there is still space available, I am in for the 18th. Been wanting to run Chuckwalla for a while.

I had a fantastic track day at Chuchwalla today! A lesson from Mickey and new Toyo r888 tires made this the best track experience I have ever had. The weather was perfect with lots of sun and 62 degrees. I am looking forward to February.

Sounds great. I almost signed up for this weekend but all the kids are home from college.
Still...sitting here watching Star Wars while they're off in their rooms doing their thing...lol
Maybe a jan run?

The party starts seven weeks from tonight. ;D

Looks like I'll be at Chuckwalla, about a month later! The SHELBY RUN is starting in Palm Springs this year and we're driving right by CW on the way to Vegas.

See link here for the SHELBY RUN route for 2013. http://goo.gl/maps/775Uw

Keavdog said:
Found this course layout you might find helpful

image-1_zps8d6c65be.png

In looking at the race line shown in this diagram there are two unusual turns that standout for me. Turn 13 shows the line following the outside of turn until about half way through, and then dropping in for a very late apex. Turn 16 shows two apexes. One very early and then one very late. When I compare this to actual YouTube video, I do not see the drivers using this line and instead taking a more traditional line. Anyone been on the track and tried the lines being shown in this diagram for those two turns?

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
LS110 said:
In looking at the race line shown in this diagram there are two unusual turns that standout for me. Turn 13 shows the line following the outside of turn until about half way through, and then dropping in for a very late apex. Turn 16 shows two apexes. One very early and then one very late. When I compare this to actual YouTube video, I do not see the drivers using this line and instead taking a more traditional line. Anyone been on the track and tried the lines being shown in this diagram for those two turns?

I haven't been on the track but the diagram makes perfect sense to me. The important part to see is the different set-up for entering 14 and 17. The very late apex in 16 sets you up to straighten out 17 which would otherwise be really slow. The setup for 14 has a straight in-between and 13 is a much larger radius than 16 and has enough banking to be a much faster turn.

I wish I had a diagram like this for every new track!

NFSBOSS said:
Here's who I have so far, let me know if I missed anyone:

Rental car with instructor:
1. Gary - cloud9
2. Rick - NFSBOSS
3. John - LS110
4. John - fuhrius

Personal car with no instructor:
5. BOSSBAD - Paul The 18th only
6. ArizonaGT - Drew both days
7. motoviper - Ron both days

Personal car with instructor:

I am confirmed for the 18th (Personal car, no instructor). From looking through the thread, running CW, correct?

I've updated the list in the first post. Let me know if I'm missing anyone. Grant are you going to make it and have you heard from Warren? I'll send him a message.

Rental car with instructor:
1. Gary - cloud9
2. Rick - NFSBOSS
3. John - LS110
4. John - fuhrius

Personal car with no instructor:
5. BOSSBAD - Paul The 18th only
6. ArizonaGT - Drew both days
7. motoviper - Ron both days
8. captdistraction - Chris both days
9. Keavdog - John the 18th only
10. Z06 - Mike the 18th only