Cost to Repaint Mustang?

Discussion in 'The Detailers Corner' started by ChrisM, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Fastfordnut

Fastfordnut TMO Race

For a car used heavily/primarily on the track, I would expect a wrap to be more resistant to chips... No ?

2. Bill Pemberton

Bill Pemberton TMO Addict

If you paint it you will want to keep your baby forever, as you will have 7-10K in a high quality job as noted earlier. Wraps are not cheap , though likely could be half or less for pro job. Either way if you love her long, long, long time, do what feels good and go with no regrets?

3. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

After he paints the car!!!

4. 302BOB

302BOB TMO Addict

A good body shop will take pride in their work and reputation for a paint job...my guess $4 to $5 gs..My Dad had a Earl Schieb paint job way back when....He wasn't going to any car shows, so it served the purpose for the price...............

5. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Guessing a bit low. $1-2G's just for stuff.

Bill Pemberton likes this.
  6. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Advanced

Materials cost more than people think. Some color alone is 4-500 per gallon. Clear ain’t much cheaper. Not to mention primer, paper, mud, undercoat... and then labor on top of all that.

7. Bill Pemberton

Daegoba is correct and when you add in the labor of removing alot of items on the vehicle so you don't get overspray or so there are not tape lines, it is reasonable to think it would cost 7-10K. Labor rates are about the only thing that will reduce the cost as that will vary in different parts of the Country.

Daegoba likes this.
  8. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Advanced

To add to this: In a restoration environment, several things happen outside of just paint.

You don’t want to put old, foggy headlights back on a car with fresh new paint, or faded, weathered plastic trim. Lots of things get replaced around a paint job, and those things add to the cost as well.

You may not consider things like lights or trim, but when you start assembling the car with old stuff? It becomes apparent that those things need replacing too.

TymeSlayer likes this.
  9. Bill Pemberton

Agreed......those are the little things that set apart a high quality job and just a paint job. I can tell your shop understands what serious gearheads usually expect when a reshoot on their baby!?

10. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Add I. The desire to “Freshen” the interior since you pulled some of it any ways. If you are changing colors, the car is likely being “Blown Art” before paint.
    I am working on painting my Wives 1969 corvette. A few cracks, a small”Mistake” and lots of new trim and chrome will easily bring the cost to $20k.

11. Bill Pemberton

Don't want to derail , but if you get into that $20K range , you might just want to contact me about a new S550 or GT 350 ,ha,ha!?

12. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

Have owned the car since 1986. Its not going anywhere.

13. Bill Pemberton

Understand TMS, was a little response to Chris M.

14. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

No worries Bill. A S550 convert is also on the table. GT and PP
    Got to take care of mamma

15. Daegoba

Daegoba TMO Advanced

I think it’s always important to ask yourself exactly how much you love the car you’re considering restoring, and what the reasons are behind your decision.

It’s almost never what someone would call a sound financial decision. It’s incredibly expensive, outrageously time consuming, and takes a level of ego that most normal people either don’t have, or are ashamed to admit.

But we don’t restore or build cars for profit; we do it for Passion. The amount of discipline it requires of a person no amount of money can buy. It’s the sacrifice of time and commitment a man spends honing his craft. The best hours of your days. The best days of your years. The best years of your life. For they guy doing the work? It’s an exercise in the pursuit of greatness. A never ending battle towards achievement and mastery. For the customer? It’s the chase of feeling whole again, to see the sights and hear the sounds of a time when life wasn’t what is is today.

If you just want a nice car to ride around in, and maybe, if you’re lucky, make some everlasting memories? Just go buy a new car. But if you want to experience that special moment you’ve cherished all these years for a second time?

Come see me. I’ll be waiting.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  16. Bill Pemberton

I like momma's "honey do," list --- ya gotta love that girl!!??

Last edited: Jun 2, 2019
  17. TMSBOSS

TMSBOSS TMO Addict

We were working on the restoration a few years back.......Then came the Boss.

Got to fix this.

18. blacksheep-1

blacksheep-1 TMO Addict

the big issue, to me, is that to really do it right, you need to paint the engine compartment to match the rest of the car, nothing says "repaint" on a mustang than a different color engine bay. So that would just make the cost astronomical, It would suggest, and as many people have said, look at a wrap. I'm not a big fan of those in general, but they hold up pretty well (our Porsche GT2 was a wrap). The best thing is, you keep the stock paint jog underneath which will add value to the car, rather than a repaint, which is not only expensive, but devalues the car.

19. Bill Pemberton

See not only is BS1 da man with all da help with mechanical knowledge , he is also a " Wrap Artist."

The Notorious BS1 !!

20. Grant 302

Grant 302 OPM Spent: $665,833 Moderator

Guys, this thread is just shy of 2 years old...

Sure, some good info has been added, but the first time it was dug up was largely not needed.