The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Daytona 2024

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
That really sucks. How can they call it “racing” if they are just going to penalize a particular car brand in order to manipulate a set of desired results?

Hate to see one group forced to struggle in order for another group to be successful.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
MD
So I’m still learning about racing but I don’t understand this BoP issue. How can a team with bigger pockets sway how their car is evaluated(not sure of term…maybe tech’d)? Using the BMW cars for example…why make the faster cars slower when the slower cars can work to be faster? Can’t the BMW cars do something whether it be a tune or less restriction to catch up to the mustang?
Something doesn’t add up to me.

So I’m still learning about racing but I don’t understand this BoP issue. How can a team with bigger pockets sway how their car is evaluated(not sure of term…maybe tech’d)? Using the BMW cars for example…why make the faster cars slower when the slower cars can work to be faster? Can’t the BMW cars do something whether it be a tune or less restriction to catch up to the mustang?
Something doesn’t add up to me.
Don't get me started...

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Soddy Daisy, TN
I've long believed IMSA is just a bunch of BS. They use BOP to get their desired winner. Fake racing? One wonders how big a cheque needs to get written to get decent BOP.
It's not just about how much money needs to be given to the sanctioning body, but if the higher end Euro brands don't win or perform well, they won't participate in the series and it will dry up. Unfortunately, teams also sandbag during practices and then run hard during qualifying. This is the first race of the year and it happens nearly every year. The fact that Luca beat the shiznit of them last weekend during the VP Challenge race probably had a lot to do with the restrictions. Race conditions are different and it's a fairly long race so let's hope that the Kohr guys planned for the long game.

Teams could have been sandbagging last weekend as well by playing for the long game of the endurance race. We will just have to see.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Columbia, TN
Such a good looking car!

If there isn't a pay to play system they sure do a good job of spinning up the conspiracies with BOP changes like this. Personally, I think there is a "ladder" of sorts, talk with the "ol timers" of NASCAR and they'll tell you all about the games played "back in the day"... and do you think that's dead? Sad IMSA think it's perfectly hidden under extremely convoluted processes and relationships. Almost as if they think it's hidden in plain sight. Can't change it, so until another racing organization comes up, best of luck to you guys!

TMO Supporting Vendors