The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Did the Zaino Treatment today (pics inside)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Judging by the shine on your Boss I'd have to say 'overkill' is your middle name! ;D

98RedGT

2012 #552
boss2511 said:
4dRacer said:
when using Zaino products you listed did you have to worry about keeping it off any other parts on the exterior, like plastic or rubber?

Also what do you use for clay bar lubricant? Do you clay just horizontal surfaces or entire car?

I will run all the tests with the bag but just curious what your process is since the car turned out really nice with what you did.

Sorry to ask so many questions in numerous post but they come to me as I am planning this.

Thanks in advance.
The bottles say not to get it on porus surfaces ie parts like the front valance and rear valance and side skirts and around the mirrors etc. I didnt tape them off or anything. the stuff doesnt leave a white residue like wax so you dont really notice. the stuff you can put on the plastic that is porus is the Z-CS.

For the Zaino clay I use a spray bottle with a mix of water and there Z-7(car wash) instructions are in the can of the clay to do this. other clays I have used say to use there detail spray. both work just fine. you really want to do every surface of the car but you will notice the horizontal surfaces will have more than the vertical surfaces. I clay bar the wheels too but that might be over kill to some.

Thank you.

ace72ace

If it doesn't move, clay it. If it moves, smack it until it stops moving and clay it twice.

Yes, clay it all, can't hurt. ;D

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
4dRacer said:
One more question, did you use clay bar over the decals?
yes you can and I did just be careful at the edges as it will get clay pieces shaved off by the decal leaving a residue behind that is a bear to get off.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Ordered Zaino, now looking at Porter Cable polisher. Anybody have any suggestions on dual action polisher and pad kits, etc.?

I have been doing everything by hand with Meguiars stuff up to now but with so many steps in Zaino process (too really get it nice looking) feel like it would be faster with a polisher.

ace72ace

I ordered that same PC unit, on sale at amazon for ~89$. boss2251 told me that the PC is not really for Zaino, as you would waste so much product in the pads. He also has the PC polisher, and can speak directly about his opinion on this...

I got my Zaino kit, as well as the bucket, and used it (car wash soap) yesterday for a quick wash of my DD Grand Marquis. Loved using the bucket with the grit guard in it, and the soaps suds were thick and foamy. I liken the quality of the soap bubbles to beer, small, concentrated and lots of them. Kinda like when you see proper Guiness Draft poured (or Boddingtons). Thick and creamy!

I will have a good before/after of my wife's black '11 GT for the Zaino treatment. I had used turtle wax black box last year, and it was 'ok'. We'll see how this product stacks up when applied properly as per the instructions...

Justin

4dRacer said:
Ordered Zaino, now looking at Porter Cable polisher. Anybody have any suggestions on dual action polisher and pad kits, etc.?

I have been doing everything by hand with Meguiars stuff up to now but with so many steps in Zaino process (too really get it nice looking) feel like it would be faster with a polisher.
I would maybe use the PC with the pc fusion from Zaino to remove heavy swirls. as for the other stuff there is no way. as to do it by hand takes less than half an oz. to use a machine would take half a bottle. and the stuff isnt cheap. you could use it to take it off I guess adams has a video of how to use a PC to take off product. or you can get the bonnets on griots garage for wax removal. for the pads I would go with adams pads for the PC.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Did Zaino treatment yesterday on the 98 GT, it took 8 hours but I would say this picture makes it a success

DSC06830.jpg

Thanks to all that answered my questions over the last week in getting this treatment done right.

ace72ace

Awesome! At first I looked at the pic trying to figure out wth...? Looking forward to the full set of pics. I have my wife's '11 GT to practice on, and will leave that project for a full weekend to get it done.

98RedGT

2012 #552
boss2511 said:
nice pic! what all did you apply?

I pretty much followed what you did on your Boss.

Z-CS was the only one that after putting it on I questioned doing it. It was oily and left some spots on the roof and hood that did not look all that great. Thinking about skipping that particular application on yellow blaze Boss. What do you think?

Justin

4dRacer said:
boss2511 said:
nice pic! what all did you apply?

I pretty much followed what you did on your Boss.

Z-CS was the only one that after putting it on I questioned doing it. It was oily and left some spots on the roof and hood that did not look all that great. Thinking about skipping that particular application on yellow blaze Boss. What do you think?
I bet you put to much on it. 4-5 sprays is all it takes for me to do the whole car. put what it did is ok. tomorrow wipe it down with z-8 this will take care of the build up and help it look clear again.

ace72ace

The weather looks great for today and tomorrow, so I'm going to get this done over 2 days. Question I have is that Justin took some time in between steps, and I want to see what would be the best step to stop and save the rest until Sunday? We are also planning on running some errands today, so the car will get a little dusty. When I complete the process tomorrow, what would be the best way to prep/clean for the next step? I was thinking the Detail spray would do the trick?

Gonna go cook breakfast for the family, and then do the 'dawn wash', door jams and all. Will check back for a reply in a few hours. Oh, and lots of 'before' pix of the '11 GT.

98RedGT

2012 #552
Looking forward to before and afters. You will be tired for some time after it's done :)

I plan on doing another car (probably wife's Taurus) today and tomorrow and my step to stop at today will be right after the Z car wash. But I will have the car in garage after that and until tomorrow afternoon so I should be able to just start with first coat of Z-5. Anybody think this would not work?

Justin

you can stop at any step really. when you start back up again just make sure to wipe it down with Z-6 or wash it again depending on its state. What is going to take the most time is the dawn-clay-z-7-zaio the three coats takes time due to the 30-45 mins to allow it to dry. thats when I take my break. I was thinking about putting on another couple of layers today myself

ace72ace

So a ordered a plastic syringe as suggested in this thread, are there detailed instructions on the mixing procedure? It's only 47 degrees here this morning so we are gonna do errands first and I will start this afternoon after it warms up a bit.

TMO Supporting Vendors