The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Differential Vent Tube venting on track days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
I'm not going to do anything about it right now. The amount of fluid that appears to have leaked is miniscule at best, much less than would leak from the axle tubes on my '06.

I had a KR catch can that went in the axle hump above the diff, but gave it to a buddy of mine for use on his race car.

In the long run, I plan on installing a diff cooler system either from FRPP once the '13 GT500 parts become available or from Rehagen.

ArizonaGT said:
I'm not going to do anything about it right now. The amount of fluid that appears to have leaked is miniscule at best, much less than would leak from the axle tubes on my '06.

I had a KR catch can that went in the axle hump above the diff, but gave it to a buddy of mine for use on his race car.

In the long run, I plan on installing a diff cooler system either from FRPP once the '13 GT500 parts become available or from Rehagen.

At first I thought that Gary's Boss was overfilled, I changed mine and ran it just fine up until two events ago. Once again Gary proved himself correct and he is driving the wheels off that Boss! I guess I am running just a little harder and it finally happened to me, like you it was not much but I am throwing the baster on just in case.

When I installed the baster on the top of the diff cover, I threw the plastic breather that came with the baster away. I then installed the metal breather/check valve that I removed from the diff cover and install that in the place of the plastic breather. It will thread right into the rubber baster. I then used small hose clamps on top and bottom of the baster to make it did not come apart. Have not had an issue yet, but then again, maybe I have not had the really long straight aways that others have had issues on. The metal check valve needs a small amount of pressure to let air out, unlike the plastic breather, which is free flowing. As always, do not overfill.

PeteInCT said:
I'd go for up to $200 - I saw one in a thread (this one?) but it looked like a poor prototype. Last thing we need is RedLine lightweight all over turn 3 ;D
Here you go. Oooooh it's on sale.

http://shop.bobsautosports.com/Mustang-axle-reservoir-KR-style-axle-reservoir.htm

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
TBH that looks to be similar or better quality than the actual KR one. Only "issue" I see is that the mounting holes are not slotted--meaning that if this attaches to the mounting point for the third link like the KR one does, the bolt will have to come all the way out instead of just backed up a few turns.

AND it's less expensive :)

Steve is a great guy and makes some truly well thought out and machined products. He'd love to hear any feedback you guys could offer regarding his reservoir.

I have the terribly constructed Shelby KR piece and I think Steve's piece is much improved over it.

Tob

mcmmotorsports

Resident Mental Patient
Gonna bring this back from the dead vs starting a new thread (yeah, I still use the search function) :p
Getting ready for my first track day in 2 weeks at NJMP and I don't want to have the same diff fluid issue I had with my '04 GT a few years back.
So, with that said, do I:

A: Leave it alone
B: Go with the turkey baster from Ford on top of the diff
C: Get Bob's kit

Thanks.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
mcmmotorsports said:
Gonna bring this back from the dead vs starting a new thread (yeah, I still use the search function) :p
Getting ready for my first track day in 2 weeks at NJMP and I don't want to have the same diff fluid issue I had with my '04 GT a few years back.

Thanks.

Unless you drive like Grandma Moses you can't leave it alone if you have a Torsen. I have Bobs kit , much better but I still need a true rear diff cooler. Going to make one or buy the Rehegan unit.

PeteInCT said:
Unless you drive like Grandma Moses you can't leave it alone if you have a Torsen. I have Bobs kit , much better but I still need a true rear diff cooler. Going to make one or buy the Rehegan unit.

I also have Bob's kit...

A well thought out and reasonable solution for most 8.8" owners, IMHO..

If you really want to get spendy, you could try to retrofit the '13 GT500 optional cooler setup.

Or get a 9" ;)

I have tracked with your three options. Given those choices get Bob's kit. Diff cooler would be nice but I also haven't seen any blown rear ends yet either.....unlike clutches :'(

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
I have tracked with your three options. Given those choices get Bob's kit. Diff cooler would be nice but I also haven't seen any blown rear ends yet either.....unlike clutches :'(

Not blown. But too hot. Also even with Bobs I've gotten blowoff...

PeteInCT said:
Not blown. But too hot. Also even with Bobs I've gotten blowoff...
Yea I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea, just not a must do for every car. A few minutes ago got a text from a GT buddy at BIR who blew out the boot on the hanger bearing in his driveshaft yesterday. It said he lost his clutch today. Clutch and driveshaft appear to be must haves on tracked Mustangs.

mcmmotorsports said:

Thanks.

IMHO, this is the best setup for the overflow issues unless you have a full blown oil cooler

pics from here: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1696.msg36914#msg36914
another pic: https://trackmustangsonline.com/index.php?topic=1696.msg81327#msg81327
CIMG3119.jpg
CIMG3123.jpg

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
cloud9 said:
Yea I'm not saying it wouldn't be a good idea, just not a must do for every car. A few minutes ago got a text from a GT buddy at BIR who blew out the boot on the hanger bearing in his driveshaft yesterday. It said he lost his clutch today. Clutch and driveshaft appear to be must haves on tracked Mustangs.

You Great Plains guys just kill cars on track. Sorry to hear all of the bad luck and carnage.
Steve

steveespo said:
You Great Plains guys just kill cars on track. Sorry to hear all of the bad luck and carnage.
Steve
Yea we're starting to get a rep. :-[ Part of the issue is we have these power tracks out here like RA and BIR that are just brutal on equipment.

i dont know much about solid rear axles, so i'm trying to figure out a few things.

if you get diff blow-off at the axle vents, does that mean your fluid has already passed the axle seals?

drano38

Wayne
No, because there's a vent on top of the diff cover on the Boss. If it gets really hot, it will vent out there.
If you track several weekends a year, Bobs or Scott's homemade expansion tank, or a full blown cooler are almost required.

Check with Vorshlag. They're planning on releasing a catch can/expansion tank that's similar to Yellow Boss' setup, except the can vents back down underneath the car to keep fumes and gear oil smell out.

I'd definitely go with some sort of expansion tank solution before you take your car on the track. It's not a huge deal to run it stock, but it'll keep things clean (from oil) and you won't be guessing how much fluid burped out.

TMO Supporting Vendors