The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Electric cars... the cons

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Cumming GA
The problem with hydrogen fuel cell cars is primarily one of efficiency. Hydrogen fuel cells work by more or less turning hydrogen into electricity but it takes quite a bit of electricity to create the hydrogen in the first place via electrolysis and then you loose more energy in the hydrogen to electricity conversion process. Its a lot more efficient to just store the electricity in a battery. The only upside to hydrogen fuel cells is quick refueling, but the costs involved due to inefficiency will pretty much always make it too expensive. At least until we start mining it from asteroids, pulling it directly from stars, or just scooping interstellar hydrogen up with magnetic fields (see Larry Niven for that one).

New energy sources and ideas will always be a challenge to us older folks who are set in our ways for so long....that will change soon whether we like it or not....I like my cordless electric shaver, so I'm moving forward one small step at a tyme...................

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
New energy sources and ideas will always be a challenge to us older folks who are set in our ways for so long....that will change soon whether we like it or not....I like my cordless electric shaver, so I'm moving forward one small step at a tyme...................
I like my cordless electric weed wacker, starts first tyme, every tyme, don't even have to mix in any oil either.

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Thanks but subscription required. I guess I used my freebies earlier in the month.

The gist of the article, as I recall it, is this. The BEV takes more greenhouse gasses to produce, primarily because of the batteries. By the time the cars hit 36k miles, the ICE car has created more greenhouse gasses. At 100k miles, the ICE car has produced approx 77% more greenhouse gasses. This is all-in, including the average greenhouse emissions from the generation of the electricity and the production of gasoline.

The gist of the article, as I recall it, is this. The BEV takes more greenhouse gasses to produce, primarily because of the batteries. By the time the cars hit 36k miles, the ICE car has created more greenhouse gasses. At 100k miles, the ICE car has produced approx 77% more greenhouse gasses. This is all-in, including the average greenhouse emissions from the generation of the electricity and the production of gasoline.

So does that also include the emissions (non greenhouse) of the replacement batteries and the disposal of same at the end of the car's lifetime?
While we're at it, besides destroying an entire industry (auto repair) has any of these coconuts figured out how much taxes are on gasoline, both at the state and local level? Because those taxes basically pay for road construction and repair, along with infrastructure projects and right of ways.. that will vanish.
But I'm sure that the electrics will be spun as much cheaper while a tax is created based on mileage, income, or whatever these guys can dream up.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Because those taxes basically pay for road construction and repair, along with infrastructure projects and right of ways.. that will vanish.
Silly. Taxes don't vanish. They pop up in another form, usually stronger than ever!

So does that also include the emissions (non greenhouse) of the replacement batteries and the disposal of same at the end of the car's lifetime?
While we're at it, besides destroying an entire industry (auto repair) has any of these coconuts figured out how much taxes are on gasoline, both at the state and local level? Because those taxes basically pay for road construction and repair, along with infrastructure projects and right of ways.. that will vanish.
But I'm sure that the electrics will be spun as much cheaper while a tax is created based on mileage, income, or whatever these guys can dream up.

I don't know, or can't remember if it considers the replacement of batteries. My guess is the batteries will almost never need replacing. The value of the vehicles at the 15+ year point will likely be dictated by current range.

I get that you're totally against EV's, but you're coming across like a coconut who'd rather have bank tellers and long lines instead of ATMs. Just because there's an existing workforce in a certain industry, that doesn't mean that industry should be protected at all costs.

You're probably right about the taxes. Let that be a lesson to the young folks. Choose a career where you make so much money taxes don't really matter, because the liberals will certainly come after your wallet.

TMO Supporting Vendors