The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Engine replacement under warrenty

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyboygsxr said:
Has anyones motor failed on the stock tune?
Many have including mine.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
VooDooBOSS said:
Many have including mine.

What failed? Can you give more details? My motor has 16k on it and is still going strong I think/hope :) I change the oil every 3-4 track days which usually never ends up being more than 1000 miles.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
CC7B44C8-FE7C-4890-8A68-49761F35A08E_zpsskyryoft.jpg

I think he had only 1 hole in the block.
[/quote]

It looks like it blew before he got out of the pits. Whoever took the picture sure captured the event for your Dad. Glad the repairs went well and were covered. It does pay to run the factory tunes, and I'm glad I stayed with OEM tune and the Ford Racing TracKey.

Good Luck,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Brandon302 said:
Ended up hearing from my dealer that they ordered a motor and intake. Not sure if that means it is a long or short block but I am glad to know the car will be back together under warranty.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

Good News! Happy to learn it will be covered.

It's really easy to tell if an engine has, or has not received regular maintenance once it's disassembled for inspection. Plus, I'm sure Ford is seeing some common threads in the engine failures they are covering under warranty.

That has got to be a relief!

Dave
302 Hi Pro

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Texas
I am uneducated on this matter but I thought I read in some previous threads that they don't make the Boss motor anymore. If they are replacing the short block does it still have the forged internals or is it a standard GT short block?

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Fomoco302 said:
Have the majority of failures been on 2012's?

No, both 12's and 13's have had a few failures. Overall I think Ford has provided excellent repair and warranty coverage for Owners who have used their Boss 302's as intended. (IMO)

Dave
2HP

Flyboygsxr said:
I am uneducated on this matter but I thought I read in some previous threads that they don't make the Boss motor anymore. If they are replacing the short block does it still have the forged internals or is it a standard GT short block?
That is what I want to know or is it an aluminator with a Boss intake.

302 Hi Pro said:
No, both 12's and 13's have had a few failures. Overall I think Ford has provided excellent repair and warranty coverage for Owners who have used their Boss 302's as intended. (IMO)

Dave
2HP
Yes they have been and there have been probably more 12's but plenty of 13's as well. I don't think this is systemic and the sky is not falling but I can tell you that my original motor drank oil at the beginning and used 1/2 qt. every track day. My new motor? In 3,000 miles and four track days I have not added a drop of oil and it feels very strong.

Yes they have Boss long blocks and they will for sometime. They are not using Aluminator motors.

One nice thing about the new motor for a 2012 is you get the better cam sensor connectors and they had to upgrade the wiring harness.

VooDooBOSS said:
Yes they have been and there have been probably more 12's but plenty of 13's as well. I don't think this is systemic and the sky is not falling but I can tell you that my original motor drank oil at the beginning and used 1/2 qt. every track day. My new motor? In 3,000 miles and four track days I have not added a drop of oil and it feels very strong.

Yes they have Boss long blocks and they will for sometime. They are not using Aluminator motors.

One nice thing about the new motor for a 2012 is you get the better cam sensor connectors and they had to upgrade the wiring harness.
That is really sweet, I can get down with a few upgrades as far as motor. I never had oil issues once broken in so hopefully this one is the same. If you had a new motor put in does that reset the power train warranty for the motor?

VooDooBOSS said:
I asked that question and was told no. It's only good for 60 months or 60,000 miles.
That's the same as the regular power train so that's awesome.

Brandon, I don't think the warranty restarts, it'll continue according to your original miles and purchase date.

Glad things are working out!
I have no idea what I'd do if mine blew, I don't have a good relationship with a dealer that I trust :eek:

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
F.D. Sako said:
I have no idea what I'd do if mine blew, I don't have a good relationship with a dealer that I trust :eek:

Auto dealers typically make most of their money in the Parts and Service departments. Once a dealer gets factory approval to do an engine replacement, they would love to have that big ticket job.

F.D. Sako said:
Brandon, I don't think the warranty restarts, it'll continue according to your original miles and purchase date.

Glad things are working out!

I haven't seen any work they have done but as far as service Koons of Annapolis seems to have my back, which is a very nice feeling.

Got the car back yesterday, engine was replaced under warranty. Not sure what it was that caused the failure, Ford didn't require a tear down but the tech knows at the very least that either piston 7 or 8 snapped.

TMO Supporting Vendors