The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Falken RT660 Info Needed

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks JBrad and hope to hear from you more often when the Fall Ken Route 660 hits da roadzzz! Always good to have you jump in there as there have been some favorable tests out there and I know a couple of the guys running the Spec Series ( Autocross ) in BRZs and FRSs and they seemed like it better than the 615 on a cone course. Not much data for road course use

I think you will benefot from nitto nt01.
They last long and they are perfect for you Erik.
They will allow younto know your far way deeper and they were awesome when i started with very small experience.

Ale

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I think you will benefot from nitto nt01.
They last long and they are perfect for you Erik.
They will allow younto know your far way deeper and they were awesome when i started with very small experience.

Ale
I completely agree. I originally wanted NT01s or RS4s but both of which are so hard to find. I've called numerous shops and none of them had any in stock nor could they find any locally. The other thing is the 19" NT01 is a lot more expensive than comparable tires; a bit over my budget. I was about to buy a set of Supercar 3 (non R) but then I read about these RT660 and they caught my attention.

I completely agree. I originally wanted NT01s or RS4s but both of which are so hard to find. I've called numerous shops and none of them had any in stock nor could they find any locally. The other thing is the 19" NT01 is a lot more expensive than comparable tires; a bit over my budget. I was about to buy a set of Supercar 3 (non R) but then I read about these RT660 and they caught my attention.
You right. They cost more but they last longer.
So is an investment initially. But pays off on the long run.

https://www.americastire.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt01

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
Didn't even think about buying directly from Hankook. I tried some local shops and even TireRack and none of them had any inventory

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
Didn't even think about buying directly from Hankook. I tried some local shops and even TireRack and none of them had any inventory
May want to consider the BFG Rival S 1.5 in 305/30-19 as well - for some reason the 19” is priced substantially below the 315/30-18 ($322 on Tire Rack). I recently finished a set at Auto Club, and was very happy with the consistency and life of the tire. 29 heat cycles, not including quite a few highway miles to Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. 14 heat cycles on Big Willow (hard on tires), 8 on Buttonwillow and 7 on ACS. It took me a bit to figure out the ideal pressures for these, which I found are higher than others. Hot 38F/37R was the sweet spot for my car for both lap times and even tread wear. Non-directional tread is nice on a square setup as well, so you’re completely free to rotate tires from F/R and L/R which is nice when running tracks that are noticeably harder on one side. I’m pretty sure this is why I was able to get close to 30 heat cycles. The RS-4’s and the upcoming RT660 are both directional, so requires a bit more work to balance the tread wear right/left.

Good to have choices, and can’t wait to try the RT660’s when they’re available.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
May want to consider the BFG Rival S 1.5 in 305/30-19 as well - for some reason the 19” is priced substantially below the 315/30-18 ($322 on Tire Rack). I recently finished a set at Auto Club, and was very happy with the consistency and life of the tire. 29 heat cycles, not including quite a few highway miles to Buttonwillow and Willow Springs. 14 heat cycles on Big Willow (hard on tires), 8 on Buttonwillow and 7 on ACS. It took me a bit to figure out the ideal pressures for these, which I found are higher than others. Hot 38F/37R was the sweet spot for my car for both lap times and even tread wear. Non-directional tread is nice on a square setup as well, so you’re completely free to rotate tires from F/R and L/R which is nice when running tracks that are noticeably harder on one side. I’m pretty sure this is why I was able to get close to 30 heat cycles. The RS-4’s and the upcoming RT660 are both directional, so requires a bit more work to balance the tread wear right/left.

Good to have choices, and can’t wait to try the RT660’s when they’re available.
I thought the Rival S 1.5 was more of an AutoX tire (like the RE71R, works great but gets slippery when hot and gets hot quickly. No personal experience here, just going of what I've read). I'm down to try anything that works well for a learning/HPDE standpoint that's around the $300/tire mark

Also, I looked up America's Tire and they show 305/30/19 RT660 available. I want to call them cause @Jbrad says they will not hit the market till later.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
SoCal
I thought the Rival S 1.5 was more of an AutoX tire (like the RE71R, works great but gets slippery when hot and gets hot quickly. No personal experience here, just going of what I've read). I'm down to try anything that works well for a learning/HPDE standpoint that's around the $300/tire mark

Also, I looked up America's Tire and they show 305/30/19 RT660 available. I want to call them cause @Jbrad says they will not hit the market till later.

I had RE71’s on the car when I bought it, and then switched to the Rival S. The RE71 were great for 2-3 laps, and then would definitely feel greasy. The Rival S stays much more consistent through a 20 minute session. Even ran some 30 min sessions early this year on Big Willow, and several sessions above 100 degrees ambient at Buttonwillow and ACS and never experienced that same greasy feeling of the RE71.

Definitely call America’s Tire - I noticed the same thing on their website, so I stopped in the Ontario store to confirm. They said they had to call the Falken warehouse directly because they didn’t have any in their network - been waiting for their call back since last Tuesday! Jbrad has the inside line - America’s Tire just released them on their site prematurely from the looks of it. Let me know if you find out something different

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
I had RE71’s on the car when I bought it, and then switched to the Rival S. The RE71 were great for 2-3 laps, and then would definitely feel greasy. The Rival S stays much more consistent through a 20 minute session. Even ran some 30 min sessions early this year on Big Willow, and several sessions above 100 degrees ambient at Buttonwillow and ACS and never experienced that same greasy feeling of the RE71.

Definitely call America’s Tire - I noticed the same thing on their website, so I stopped in the Ontario store to confirm. They said they had to call the Falken warehouse directly because they didn’t have any in their network - been waiting for their call back since last Tuesday! Jbrad has the inside line - America’s Tire just released them on their site prematurely from the looks of it. Let me know if you find out something different
Good to know! I'll definitely shop around for those now too. I think my top pick is still the RT660 though. The reviews sound very promising and that price point is unbeatable!

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Part of the reason I prefer TireRack , they get more fresh stuff than anyone and they don't tend to list until they have supply. Seen this in the past with the prior mentioned company. I will admit to being biased as I and the company I used to work for got such killer service from TireRack -- and your orders help this Forum also, which is an added bonus.

I would not look at the RT660, RE71R or A052 for anything but TT or autocross. They are all designed to heat up quick and have a lower temp ceiling. They also wear very quickly for HPDE/lapping days.

Goodyear Supercar 3 (not 3R) would be my recommendation if you cannot get the R-S4.

why not the 3r....i have a set for next year

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel