The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Floods, Fires, Fear of Covid!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
I thought this was correct so I googled.

"According to an analysis that Gregg Girvan and I conducted for the Foundation for Research on Equal Opportunity, as of May 22, in the 43 states that currently report such figures, an astounding 42% of all COVID-19 deaths have taken place in nursing homes and assisted living facilities. " https://www.forbes.com/sites/theapo...on-43-of-u-s-covid-19-deaths/?sh=76976aa674cd

With the concentration being so stark and some states making some real mistakes regarding returning infected folks to nursing homes and assisted living. We can wonder where the numbers would be if better decisions had been made by state leaders. Although many centers had few cases and zero deaths.

I personally have always leaned toward self determination. You decide what is best for you. Likely why I do NOT like the way the whole crisis has been handled. Educate the folks, protect the weak and let everyone else determine their future. I have not seen much of this lately.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
We are having a hot dry spring so our numbers are getting better every day.
Gives me some hope for us to ‘fix’ things by spring.

Little hope of significant improvement before then without things getting worse in between. Apparently it does need to get worse here before people will actually change their behavior without government intervention and even stricter measures.

Grant 302

I think part of the reason for our higher mortality rate versus that of other countries, is that a much higher percentage of our population is in nursing homes. Whereas, in many other countries, they live in extended family households.
I think this was true early on. Certainly like the charts I posted previously with the cases and mortality by age.

But that is not the typical problem AFAIK, right now in states that didn’t really get affected earlier in the year. They need time to realize and react.

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
If the behavior you refer to is going to work, that is another problem all in it self. I had positive covid tests and All I do is go to work and go home. I am on my 4th box of disposable masks, 25 each. 100% mask use is mandatory at work. We screen and test our people free of charge. Hand sanitizer dispensers are at every door.

A serious discussion of the negative effects of the "Cure over the Disease" is needed. Unfortunately most "Discussions" soon head down political lines and we can all agree how well that works out.

I have asked the question "How did the last great pandemic end"? Surely it was not from a vaccine or miracle drug. Several sources say it simply ran its course. Is the answer today to protect the vulnerable while allowing the disease to run its course? Are the methods we are using today prolonging the "Course" and therefore prolonging the time necessary to protect the vulnerable? Did folks 100 years ago depend upon the government for their answers? These all seem like logical questions. I cant recall a reasonable discussion on these subject. Although I can find 100's of discussion explaining how an opposing view is dangerous if not fatal to the world. Sure wish Covid had shown up in a non-election year.

sfo
Wonder if increased governor tightening restrictions is due to looming elections. Many areas are boarding up for coming unrest.

Maybe "running it's course" may refer to taking out those who's reckless behavior is spreading the disease to other reckless people.....There's an irony there somewhere........A vaccine may help slow the spread if enough people get it, but I'm sure it's not the cure-all many hope for..................

Last edited:

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
We used to depend upon the police to serve and protect. Now we treat cops like we treated soldiers at the end of Vietnam and later. Frankly I would not be too interested in rushing in to help citizens if I thought no one had my back. If I had to wonder if a video edited and incomplete would determine my job status and in some cases, my freedom. Sorry folks, your cities can burn. I wore a uniform 23 years for this country and then worked in combat zones for 10 years after retirement. Sorry.......You don't pay enough for me to consider being a cop, Today. 99.9+% of soldiers in Vietnam did everything right. Today, cops are about the same. Still, there is a counter culture blaming crime on cops and others jumping on the wagon with protests. I would consider boarding up my shop once. The sign on the outside would say, For Sale. Common values have not left America as a whole.......Just some cities. Unfortunately, that's where the reporters live.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
We used to depend upon the police to serve and protect. Now we treat cops like we treated soldiers at the end of Vietnam and later. Frankly I would not be too interested in rushing in to help citizens if I thought no one had my back. If I had to wonder if a video edited and incomplete would determine my job status and in some cases, my freedom. Sorry folks, your cities can burn. I wore a uniform 23 years for this country and then worked in combat zones for 10 years after retirement. Sorry.......You don't pay enough for me to consider being a cop, Today. 99.9+% of soldiers in Vietnam did everything right. Today, cops are about the same. Still, there is a counter culture blaming crime on cops and others jumping on the wagon with protests. I would consider boarding up my shop once. The sign on the outside would say, For Sale. Common values have not left America as a whole.......Just some cities. Unfortunately, that's where the reporters live.
We can thank Jane Fonda and her Ilk for the start of that.....and look what it has snowballed into.
That's why traitors have to be taken out immediately, literally or figuratively. Allowing that sort of thing to go on is a cancer to society. By the time everybody finally understands the disease the prognosis is bleak. You gotta nip it in the bud.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
That bud may be starting to blossom......there is a hidden force behind all of this that thrives on unrest....they are the looters that come out when the rest are just protesting!
Yes, emboldened by the left...its disgraceful.

by the left.
The left of the law...................they are the ones yelling "Defund The Police"...once they get Police out of the way.....It'll be open season for whatever they want to do!!!!!!!!!!...they forget one thing...us citizens have the right to bear arms and defend ourselves......................................nobody's defunding us!!!

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
The left of the law...................they are the ones yelling "Defund The Police"...once they get Police out of the way.....It'll be open season for whatever they want to do!!!!!!!!!!...they forget one thing...us citizens have the right to bear arms and defend ourselves......................................nobody's defunding us!!!
Correct. I would absolutely hate to shoot anyone and I sure as heck hope I never have to, but if forced to defend myself I sure as heck will. I'm in the SF Bay area, we have a lot of left wing loonies here causing trouble and their elected leaders support them. If there is going to be a civil war its going to start in places like this. I pray for peace but I fear things may only get worse. I got a dang race car to finish, ain't nobody got time for that.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Cmon guys, TMO has been a place devoid of politics , religion, ethnicity, etc. because we all are a bunch of gear heads and track rats that want to talk about our cars, racing and what we can do to go faster.

I sold cars for close to 30 years and most of them went all over the US. Because of this I have friends/customers in virtually every State and I put this post up because I have had 3 friends die of Covid, numerous friends threatened by fires and some sustaining damage, and so many impacted by the Hurricane and Tropical Storms this year I can not count them. I posted this thread just to see how everyone was doing, not to get into Radical Left or Far Right Conservative issues , and frankly I don't really want to discuss folks political concerns here, I just want to talk racing, Mustangs, etc. and have a little humanity to ask how others on this website are doing?

So , since I started this I am going to ask to have it closed because it has morphed into something political when it was just a sincere gesture of concern about how we were all doing?

Time to go back to mods, tires, racing, videos , pics , as this has been a happy, helpful place and a refuge from all the other stuff going on in the World , whether fires, floods, hurricanes or a pandemic.

Grant 302

A serious discussion of the negative effects of the "Cure over the Disease" is needed.
Yes, but that also requires people discuss the cure. Without participation, there is no cure.

Unfortunately most "Discussions" soon head down political lines and we can all agree how well that works out.
Yes, that was why we used to draw a pretty hard line on such topics. My views have little to do with party and political affiliations.

If the behavior you refer to is going to work, that is another problem all in it self.
Nope. I want people to go to work. I want people to be safe and follow good infectious disease protocols for whatever type of work that they do, and for how close they need to be to perform their work.

I had positive covid tests and All I do is go to work and go home. I am on my 4th box of disposable masks, 25 each. 100% mask use is mandatory at work. We screen and test our people free of charge. Hand sanitizer dispensers are at every door.

Ok. So where and when did you get it? What would you have done differently to prevent getting exposed while going to work? How many people were you exposed to that tested positive? What, if any contact tracing was done, and what did that tell you?

TMSBOSS

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
Ok. So where and when did you get it? What would you have done differently to prevent getting exposed while going to work? How many people were you exposed to that tested positive? What, if any contact tracing was done, and what did that tell you?
From a coworker. He was asymptomatic when we had contact. I took the test because he was positive, I had no symptoms.
I did everything right, masks sanitizer, screenings each day.
The likely person who passed it to me was not symptomatic until after I got it. What does that tell me?? You can stay home and hide under your bed or go on with life. Of the people I know who have had the virus, all under 60 years of age, good health no other issues. All claimed they have had more serious cases of the flu in the past. Am I immune now?? That's also only a guess.
My thoughts after?? Protect the vulnerable and go on with life.

Grant 302

From a coworker. He was asymptomatic when we had contact. I took the test because he was positive, I had no symptoms.
The likely person who passed it to me was not symptomatic until after I got it. What does that tell me?? You can stay home and hide under your bed or go on with life. Of the people I know who have had the virus, all under 60 years of age, good health no other issues. All claimed they have had more serious cases of the flu in the past. Am I immune now?? That's also only a guess.
Thanks for the response and info.

How many others tested positive at work? How often and how close did you get to that guy in the week prior?
How long ago was that?

Almost everyone I know or know of were from the first wave and early on. So I appreciate the data as being more current and relevant. The news of course bakes in dramatic and tragic stories. More ‘regular’ stories with detailed data are helpful IMO.

In the V6L
The current research (new information is coming out every day, so it's evolving) indicates:

- somewhere between 20% and 80% of infections produce either no symptoms or very mild ones. There isn't a lot of consistency in the various study results; it's in the range somewhere.
- everyone who's infected can spread the disease, symptoms or not. Children are as good at it is as adults are (this is new data - older data said otherwise).
- newly infected people start spreading the disease on the second or third day after infection, which is two days or so before symptoms start (if they're going to start at all).
- once infected, people can spread the virus for up to 3 weeks

So, that's the amazing strategy that the virus uses to spread. People can spread it starting at 2 days, but they won't know they have it for another two days or so. That 2-day window for everyone, combined with asymptomatic spread for a large proportion of infections, makes the virus a very efficient spreader and that's what makes mask wearing so important. Masks don't really protect the wearer from germs, but they do reduce the wearer's ability to spread germs by about 30% or so.

By the way, when you're looking at media reports, the words "there's no evidence that..." are important. Sometimes those words mean that research has revealed no issues, and sometimes they mean that there's no evidence because there's been no research in the first place.

TMO Supporting Vendors