The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ford Racing Suspension Upgrades

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I got my suspension components installed today. I have been driving around the last two weeks with the stock dampers set to full firm so I can compare it to the new suspension. I have the 302S dampers set at one up from full soft (think stock setting on the stock dampers). My initial impression is the new setup is a touch softer overall but you'll feel more small stuff like rocks and uneven pavement. On larger stuff it feels just a touch softer. The difference is the initial movement of the springs is stiffer but the dampening is softer at the current setting. There's more adjustment with the new dampers and I expect they will be significantly firmer on full than the stock dampers. There is a bit more noise since the panhard bar and LCA'a both use urethane bushings. I was told the panhard bar is where most of the new noise is generated.

Right off I notice the brake dive is significantly improved but I didn't get a chance to push it in any corners yet so I can't comment on body roll. I expect that to be better as well. I'm happy to report that while there is more noise and the ride is firmer it's not bad at all and I'll be surprised if my wife notices a difference. ;D More to come later.

As Gary noted in his thread there's not a huge drop so if you're looking to slam your car you'll want the K springs not the P springs. I have a 1/8" drop in the front and just under 1" in the rear. I was expecting 1/2" in the front and 1" in the rear. I always hear cars settle after a few hundred miles but I doubt that myself. Anyway I wanted three things out of this, to lower my car a little, reduce brake dive and body roll. I'm confident I've accomplished all three. Here's photos of before and after.

P1030545.jpg
P1030556.jpg
P1030547.jpg
P1030558.jpg

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Sweet - it's not a Laguna 'Feca' anymore ! Is the the exact same setup that Gary did ?

PS: Now that both of you went this route (As well as Ron !) you know what that means.... God it's gonna suck sleeping with the lawn tractor out in the shed. ::)

fuhrius said:
has anyone tried the K springs yet? they drop the car another 1/2" front and rear (front the p's)? and are they stiffer or the same rates?

I used the K-springs on my 07 GT/CS. I loved the spring rates and ride wasn't too bad. However the car is all over the bump stops in the rear. IMO they lower the car too much and don't allow the suspension to work properly without some type of adjustment. I shimmed the rears 1/4 inch and it fix the bump stop issue. Also, as 5 Dot 0 stated a bumper steer kit is a must with K-springs as well. IMO, the P-springs allow the suspension to work much better.

Fat Boss said:
cloud9 said:
Looks great Rick 8) Will be looking forward to your track review after Laguna Seca.

It'll be fun to compare head-to-head since mine is stock.
You guys suck :mad: J/K I can't wait to live vicariously through your review of LS when you get back. I guess I shouldn't complain since I'm heading to the "America's Finest Road Course" Sunday ;D

GA
5 DOT 0 said:
I believe the rates are very similar they just drop the car more. You might need a bump steer kit for the front with those springs since it drops the car more. When you run 18's at the track you'll drop the car an additional 1/2" to 1".

I read a review on the MGTAA suspension pack that said the K springs didn't give any performance advantage over P springs. The K spring just makes the car look lower and the ride a lot worse.

PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:
I believe the rates are very similar they just drop the car more. You might need a bump steer kit for the front with those springs since it drops the car more. When you run 18's at the track you'll drop the car an additional 1/2" to 1".

I read a review on the MGTAA suspension pack that said the K springs didn't give any performance advantage over P springs. The K spring just makes the car look lower and the ride a lot worse.
That's essentially what I've been told as well and the reason I went with the P springs.

cloud9 said:
PJWANNABE said:
5 DOT 0 said:

That's essentially what I've been told as well and the reason I went with the P springs.
Ditto. It lowers the car enough to get rid of the 4x4 look in the back and that's good enough for me.

PeteInCT said:
Sweet - it's not a Laguna 'Feca' anymore ! Is the the exact same setup that Gary did ?

PS: Now that both of you went this route (As well as Ron !) you know what that means.... God it's gonna suck sleeping with the lawn tractor out in the shed. ::)

From a suspension standpoint, I think Rick's car is now more capable than a stock LS...so no need to 'play second fiddle.'

and on the question of the 'Rick' vs the 'Gary' setup...not to speak for Rick, but since I just jumped in with the 'Rick' setup I'll let you know there are some differences.
similarities: MM camber plates, dampers, springs, panhard bar, jounce bumpers, LCA relo brackets.
differences: LCAs - Poly bushings versus ball joints ends - Rick (and I) are going with Poly (M-5649-R1), Gary went with ball joints (M-5649-S). 3rd link - Gary did one - the Steeda unit - don't think Rick did (I didn't)....and the sway bar package - again, Gary went to the adjustable swaybar kit (M-5490-A), Rick (and I) have not.

I will be getting my setup installed in the next week and will, similarly, report back once tested.

fuhrius said:
PeteInCT said:

From a suspension standpoint, I think Rick's car is now more capable than a stock LS...so no need to 'play second fiddle.'

and on the question of the 'Rick' vs the 'Gary' setup...not to speak for Rick, but since I just jumped in with the 'Rick' setup I'll let you know there are some differences.
similarities: MM camber plates, dampers, springs, panhard bar, jounce bumpers, LCA relo brackets.
differences: LCAs - Poly bushings versus ball joints ends - Rick (and I) are going with Poly (M-5649-R1), Gary went with ball joints (M-5649-S). 3rd link - Gary did one - the Steeda unit - don't think Rick did (I didn't)....and the sway bar package - again, Gary went to the adjustable swaybar kit (M-5490-A), Rick (and I) have not.

I will be getting my setup installed in the next week and will, similarly, report back once tested.
And just to add a little more confusion to this, roketman went with a hybrid of the above. I believe he did the 5 DOT 0 and fuhrius version plus the swaybars and the Steeda 3rd link with poly bushings.

cloud9 said:
fuhrius said:
PeteInCT said:

And just to add a little more confusion to this, roketman went with a hybrid of the above. I believe he did the 5 DOT 0 and fuhrius version plus the swaybars and the Steeda 3rd link with poly bushings.

that will be the next stuff I do once I start running the car at the track and fiddling with tire setup (esp. square - which I'm inclined to run - versus staggered...the adjustable bars will be a must-have at that point). I may still add the 3rd link with the initial install of the other stuff, but ordered all the frpp stuff all at once (through tousley)...along with a 302s grill, 302s wheels, and gt500 spoiler (gt500?! wtf?! ;-)

For the last time- THE 18000-C DAMPERS ARE NOT 302S EQUIPMENT

They are not and never were offered on the 302S in any way shape or form. They are strictly Ford Racing upgraded dampers for all S197 Mustangs. Nothing more and nothing less...... They are Tokico D Specs that were spec'd out by Multimatic/Dynamic Suspensions for Ford Racing. This is the same company that makes the UPGRADED suspension for the 302S not the standard equipment that comes on the 302S.....that is by Sachs.

HOWEVER......they are absolutely top notch equipment and the whole setup together is awesome, especially for the price. Yes this setup is better than a stock Boss or even the Laguna Seca. For less than $2k you can have an EXTREMELY capable car....Most of us really wouldn't need anything better.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
adam81 said:
For the last time- THE 18000-C DAMPERS ARE NOT 302S EQUIPMENT

They are not and never were offered on the 302S in any way shape or form. They are strictly Ford Racing upgraded dampers for all S197 Mustangs. Nothing more and nothing less...... They are Tokico D Specs that were spec'd out by Multimatic/Dynamic Suspensions for Ford Racing. This is the same company that makes the UPGRADED suspension for the 302S not the standard equipment that comes on the 302S.....that is by Sachs.

HOWEVER......they are absolutely top notch equipment and the whole setup together is awesome, especially for the price. Yes this setup is better than a stock Boss or even the Laguna Seca. For less than $2k you can have an EXTREMELY capable car....Most of us really wouldn't need anything better.

ahem.... ;D LOL

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel