The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ghost 2017 Build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So a buddy of mines is going to help me out while I'm deployed and I'm thinking of sending the car off to get safety features installed (e.g. 4/6 point harness, racing seat, fire extinguisher etc) because I'm just trying to be proactive and have the car ready when I return. Searching in Texas there's Vorshlag and Texas Track Works that prep cars for HPDE and track duty. Has anyone received their services in this regard. Or ship the car to Watson's or Kohr?

If you're close to Vorshlag there aren't many better shops in the US. Give Terry or Jason a call. @modernbeat

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
So after careful and responsible consideration I'm going to keep Ghost when I return, however send the car to Vorshlag this spring/summer for prep. What kills me is not doing some of the work myself, but I rather the car be ready since I see classes start in late Jan. So what I decided to get done and your input is appreciated is the following;

Safety Set-Up
6 point cage (thought about 4pt/roll bar)
Recaro Racing Seats
Vorshlag CC
Alignment
Toe Rods
Vertical Links
Brake Ducts
FRPP Track Handling Pack
PP Front control arms
Knuckle to Toe Link Bearing
Rear Subframe 2 Body Bushing Kit
Rear Differential 2 Subframe Bushing Kit
Mishimoto Oil Cooler
Mishimoto Radiator
Brembo 6 Piston
MGW Race Shifter
FRPP Half Shafts
Rear Seat Delete
Springs ?
18x11/305's
DSS Driveshaft

I think this is enough to get me through a dedicated year advancing throughout the HPDE levels. And ready for TT and the best class that matches my skill level. Going to be a treacherous year watching the car be built!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
With the advice, research and purchase of 18x11 Apex wheels being a great option, not to many options for tires though. Thinking I should of went 19's. Going to run the Michelin 4s since I like the way they responded on my stock wheels.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
On the 18's vs. 19's. I did some research a while back, and I know the tire market is fluid, but I went with 19's due to tire availability and trending market availability. All my options were 200TW or more for CAM requirements.

Rims - Forgestar CF5 Deep Concave 18x11 with 52mm offsets:

315/30/18 (All 200TW unless noted)
Falken Azenis RT615K
BFG Rival S
Michelin Pilot Sport PS2 (220TW)

305/30/18 and 305/35/18
None
Nothing
Nada

295/35/18 (All 200TW unless noted)
Nitto NT05
Michilin Pilot Sport PS2 (220TW)
Toyo Proxes 1 (240TW)
Nitto Invo (260TW)
Michilin Pilot Super Sport (300TW)
Conti ExtremeContact DW (340TW)
Bridgeston Potenza RE760 Sport (340TW)

Rims - Forgestar CF5 Deep Concave 19x11 with 52mm offsets:

315/30/19
None
Nothing
Nada

305/30/19 (All 200TW unless noted)
Bridgeston Potenza RE-71R
Khumo ECSTA V720
Hankook Ventus R-S3 V2
Bridgestone Potenza RE-11
Nitto Invo (220TW)
Khumo ECSTA PS91 (260TW)
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (280TW)
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 (320TW)
Nitto Invo (220TW)
Conti ExtremeContact DW (340 TW)

295/30/19 (All 200TW unless noted)
Khumo ECSTA PS91 (260TW)
Conti ContiSportContact 3 (280TW)
Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position (280TW)
Hankook Ventus V12 EVO2 (320TW)

295/35/19 (All 200TW unless noted)
Yokoham Advan Sport V105 (240TW)

I pulled these from Tire Rack and DiscountTireDirect, so no promises on availability. It would appear my best selection is in the 305/30/19 size which includes the aforementioned RE-71R and the budget friendly V720.

Since you are going to be in the DFW area I would give Vorshlag a call. They are located in Plano and have developed parts for the S550 in the past and they just picked up a new GT to continue development.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Colorado Springs
Since you are going to be in the DFW area I would give Vorshlag a call. They are located in Plano and have developed parts for the S550 in the past and they just picked up a new GT to continue development.

True story. I watched their video when they took it to the track and by the looks agree with their assessment. The way the car seemed to handle and suspension begging for mercy. Those 305's and coilovers they are installing should make a significant difference.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel