The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Track Tire Options

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ok, I haven't heard of those specifically, similar to a cup 2 or 3R looks almost more like a slick? I was wondering more about the scrubbed slicks GT Racing Tires sells
I ran the 315/705-19's used pirelli slicks this last year and did not like them. I feel those are just to tall for this car, and they barely run front inner fender skirt too. I ran decent lap times, but didn't like them as the car doesn't have the power to rotate such a tall tire like I would like. Same weekend ran the Toyo Proxes 295/30-19s (came new on a set of used wheels i purchased) and the car just seemed so much free'r and happier and ran more than a second faster. I know they have a 305/295-19 pirelli used slick that I want to try out next year as I could not find them this year to see if I like them any better. I am still trying to figure out the GT350 and ran a Boss before and loved the used take off Pirelli's.

Everyone's driving style is different so this is just my opinion. I look at the used take off's as I am on a tight budget, just do this for fun not running a series, and I am hard on tires so do not like to put a lot of money into tires.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Phoenix
I ran the 315/705-19's used pirelli slicks this last year and did not like them. I feel those are just to tall for this car, and they barely run front inner fender skirt too. I ran decent lap times, but didn't like them as the car doesn't have the power to rotate such a tall tire like I would like. Same weekend ran the Toyo Proxes 295/30-19s (came new on a set of used wheels i purchased) and the car just seemed so much free'r and happier and ran more than a second faster. I know they have a 305/295-19 pirelli used slick that I want to try out next year as I could not find them this year to see if I like them any better. I am still trying to figure out the GT350 and ran a Boss before and loved the used take off Pirelli's.

Everyone's driving style is different so this is just my opinion. I look at the used take off's as I am on a tight budget, just do this for fun not running a series, and I am hard on tires so do not like to put a lot of money into tires.
Appreciate the feedback! I need to scoop up 2 3R's before the next session should probably be getting 4, that's what got me interested in the slicks. 4 tires for less than half of a set of 4, and also the idea of trying something different with 3-4 track days still out here in Arizona before the season ends. I'll keep ya posted

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
One item to consider is with the Pilot Sport Cup 2s and the Goodyear F1 3R you have tires made in the US, and you may not experience shortages that some have seen this year and are likely to continue for awhile. Just a thought as the Nankangs ( Taiwan ) are not available at too many places , though that may be changing since the company is increasing it's footprint here. Of course you still have Hoosiers and if you are doing HPDEs or looking for an endurance tire similar to the RS-4 , ContiHoosier now has the Continental Force designed for just that purpose.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Anymore feedbacks on the F1 3Rs versus the stock Cup 2s? I've got about a couple more track days at most before ordering a new set. Granted the 3Rs are 100TW and Cup 2s 180TW, would the 3Rs even last beyond 3 typical track days (4x20min sessions)?

What about 200TW for longer tread life? NT01, R-S4, others? BTW, I run square 19x11 Apex so can rotate my set.

Anymore feedbacks on the F1 3Rs versus the stock Cup 2s? I've got about a couple more track days at most before ordering a new set. Granted the 3Rs are 100TW and Cup 2s 180TW, would the 3Rs even last beyond 3 typical track days (4x20min sessions)?

What about 200TW for longer tread life? NT01, R-S4, others? BTW, I run square 19x11 Apex so can rotate my set.
on our 350R, have run 305/315 MPSC2, 315/315 MPSCR and 305/305 Nankang AR-1's. The AR-1's were the fastest and their life is excellent. With fifteen heat cycles they are still smooth and suitable for street use. A new sticker set of course would be faster on track. At our local PBIR, tight turns nine and four destroy the MPSC2 in just a few miles. Better results with the 315 square. But the AR-1's are a superior tire. I might add that the sticker speed was quite good, 1;26 PBIR, 2;22 Sebring and 2;05 Daytona with a very lightly modified '16 350 R. Incidentally, on stock wheels. Good luck and happy tracking!

TX
3Rs are very fast for their short life. You’ll get two solid days out of them and then you’ll be in chording territory. They likely could last for (3) days just fine - just make sure your alignment is good, rotate if your track is hard on a specific tire, and watch them closely on day 3.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Snowy North
3Rs give a handful of "quick" sessions fewer than SC2s, provided that you help them along with a thoughtful initial heat cycle...especially at high load, abrasive tracks.

But they are more potent tires vs SC2s...to say the least.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
One of my next plans is for a set of 3Rs since a few friends run them, but if tread life is even shorter than the PSC2s I will consider the AR-1s for performance plus value - $359 vs 389 vs ~500 for AR-1, 3R, PSC2 respectively - for 305/30/19 square.

While I know sizes are still limited, I ran the Conti ExtremeContact Force for the second part of this season. 5 trackways, a little daily driving, and driving back and forth to the track. I get these aren't as fast as some Hoosiers, but for a 200TW with extended wear these were great and I'd definitely recommend adding them to your list of options. The tires heat up fairly quickly and I had no issues of loss of grip. I only got to run one session in rain and again I was able to confidently push the car in the wet w/o issue.

TX
One of my next plans is for a set of 3Rs since a few friends run them, but if tread life is even shorter than the PSC2s I will consider the AR-1s for performance plus value - $359 vs 389 vs ~500 for AR-1, 3R, PSC2 respectively - for 305/30/19 square.

3Rs are the shortest life tire I’ve ever been on. I’d argue around Hoosier R7 life. You can burn them up real fast if you abuse them or you can get a good 10 or so cycles out of them.

their super power is their cost to performance ratio and consistency.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
OK I know different market and stuff but based on my research this are the available options for me in Europe and I wonder what to get for my 19x11 Apex wheels:

305/30 - Michelin PS4s (300 TW) - Good for daily + track - 1100 euro per set

295/30 - Zestion 07R (240 TW) - Run this last season in 275/35 lasted a good season however the Gloc R10 overload them during braking but really cheap - 500 euro per set

295/35 - Yokohama A052 (200 TW) - never run them but according to people here the fastest 200TW option seams that they will not handle heat well so I guess limited track life - 1290 Euro per set

295/30 - Zestino 07RS (140 TW) run them last 2 season still good life faster than 07R by 0.5 sec or so - 680 euro per set

305/30 Michelin Cup2 (180TW) - 2000 euro per set

305/30 Nankang AR-1 (100 TW) - 1400 euro per set

305/30 Goodyear F1 Supersport R (80TW) - 1677 Euro per set

My goal for the season is to maximise my seat time as I still have a lot to improve and also to get the most out of my GLoc brakes if possible.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Bulgaria
If you're only doing track days and have a budget then I'd run this:
295/30 - Zestion 07R (240 TW)

Cheaper = more seat time = more learning time
This is my plan as well. I do time trial as well but most people here run ether 07RS or old tires so 0.5 sec is not big difference won all my Time trials events last season with the 07R. So should be fine. Thanks.

Toyo proxes R888R were a good track tire on my GT350. I started driving them on the street for a summer before I moved them to strictly track duty and swapped back to OEM wheels on street. I ran Apex wheels in a square 305 tire set with the toyos. I could not compare them to cup2 since I never ran those but from what others had reported I was getting more life out of the toyo setup. Before those I ran some Rs-4 which wore well but after multiple heat cycles just lost their stick before they were down to the cords. The toyos did not lose stick after multiple heat cycles.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
Def going with GY Supercar 3R for next set, wonder if true 100TW, I do want them to last 5-6 track days, squared setup.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
NoVA
I'm trying to choose a tire that will wear well on track on stock GT350 wheels and run consistently in the heat. My usual favorites aren't available in sizes that work on this car. Does anyone have experience with Falken RT660s and how they wear? I'm thinking about getting a square 295/35 set up and rotating on the rims between events. Just not sure whether I'd be better off with something harder and less grippy like the Continental ExtremeContact Sports (not Force) to maintain longevity. Prefer to spend under $400/tire. Suggestions welcome.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
So CA
I'm trying to choose a tire that will wear well on track on stock GT350 wheels and run consistently in the heat. My usual favorites aren't available in sizes that work on this car. Does anyone have experience with Falken RT660s and how they wear? I'm thinking about getting a square 295/35 set up and rotating on the rims between events. Just not sure whether I'd be better off with something harder and less grippy like the Continental ExtremeContact Sports (not Force) to maintain longevity. Prefer to spend under $400/tire. Suggestions welcome.

If you guys don’t mind my posting a for sale ad from another forum, the RS4s are great track tires and being 200TW long wearing! Favorites around here with the time attack crowd. I’ve run them before, very consistent tires.

These are not mine.

TMO Supporting Vendors