The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GT350 Videos

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
NFSBOSS said:
After watching that video a few times I thought Ford needs to hire you for demo drives. ;) I'm pretty sure it's an R. One thing I noticed was his comment on the tires. Not having owned Cup 2 or Trefeo R tires my bet is the Trefeo R tires are at least a second a lap faster on a two mile track or more. I have a friend that switched from Cup 2 to Trefeo R's tires on his C6 Z06 and he's way faster on the Trefeo. Another member went from NT01's to Trefeo R's with a similar result on his Boss.

You are right it's an R. But he's not getting air on the jump, and I'm sure that the passenger and liability concerns are worth another 2 seconds....

No doubt. I just wish the R came with Trefeo R tires so there's a larger margin of ass whopping on the Z/28.

Did you say jump?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eNEIhMBg58

Black Boss said:
Yes. Much better lap. Air on the jump and a better line with more tire noise. Still has a passenger and the car has the electronics package (more weight).

This car is going to be fast!!! 8)
Update. From the asphalt repair line going onto the front straight at about the 1:36 mark he turned a 1:25:47.

@Z20WHAT
@LS110
@cloud9
@fuhrius

DW-Burnett-PUPPYKNUCKLES-LRP-IMSA-5819.jpg

From another site quoting Kerry Baldori, Chief Functional Engineering, Global Performance Vehicles at Ford:

"We brought our GT350R and our GT350 Track Pack here at Grattan to do fair, back to back same day and same driver comparisons. The GT350R with the Pilot Sport Cup 2 tires is equal to the 100th of a second as fast as the Porsche 911 GT3 and it is over a second quicker than the Z/28.

The base GT350 with Track Pack, which uses the Pilot Super Sport tire, is equal again, to within a 100th of a second to the Porsche Carerra and the Corvette C7 with the Z51 package."

hoping they're using current gen cars as comparo's...otherwise it would be a bit disingenuous.
I'm more intrigued by the base car's match to the c7 z51 than to the porsche. that's solid.

fuhrius said:
I'm more intrigued by the base car's match to the c7 z51 than to the porsche. that's solid.
Solid but I was hoping for faster. ;) Having spent two days in a Z51 at Spring Mountain it's a nice and fast car. Where it was a lot better than the Boss was at the limits but it didn't feel a lot faster than my Boss with big sticky tires.

Some Grattan lap times for comparison. I wonder what lap times mwilson7 runs there in his 302S?

@mwilson7

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/grattan_raceway.html

All of this leads me back to what suspension differences there are between the GT350 and GT350R? Hopefully Ford discloses that soon.

fuhrius said:
hoping they're using current gen cars as comparo's...otherwise it would be a bit disingenuous.
Actually I think you're spot on and I'm impressed if the GT350 matches 991 Carrera and GT3 lap times. The GT3's are really fast and I'd love to be able to keep up with them, or pass them, driving a car that starts with the letter M and has a blue oval on it. 8)

NFSBOSS said:
Actually I think you're spot on and I'm impressed if the GT350 matches 991 Carrera and GT3 lap times. The GT3's are really fast and I'd love to be able to keep up with them, or pass them, driving a car that starts with the letter M and has a blue oval on it. 8)
Heaven on Earth :p

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel