The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTD Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
GT350 can too with proper levels of camber. I just want that SLA front suspension and associated crossmember.
I'm really hoping SLA and transaxle make their way onto normal mustangs in the future.

Before the S650 was revealed, I was saying I hope they put a transaxle in it. Looks like Ford read my comment but put it in a car I can't afford 😆

I have seen a lot of comments like that. But I feel like we are attached to the name a bit too much.
At the end of the day you pay for the build of the car. Calling an LFA a “Prius GTD” doesn’t change the build and performance of the car.
Also I would assume the target customer already has a garage full of or has owned several $250k cars. Ferrari makes a successor to their main car very often. There will always be 911s GT(RS). McLaren 750s is the new girl on the block after just releasing the 765LT a few years ago.
Just my thoughts. If it posts lap times faster than your normal cars in that price range then I don’t see the issue.
I agree with this... The "its just a mustang" comment makes absolutely no sense.

Found this very interesting
The rear brake cooling solution is definitely interesting, going to the caliper instead of to the hub. I've personally never seen that before. I'm assuming it must be due to the way carbon ceramic rotors shed heat, so perhaps the caliper supplants the rotor as the area of concern.

Probably be unpopular but why would anyone spend $300k on a Mustang? Do what you want to it , it’s still a Mustang..

It's a bit like saying "why would someone spend $620K on a 911? Do what you want to it, it's still a 911." Except this Mustang is still street legal, while the 911 GT2RS Clubsport is a track toy only.

The answer is (a) it's a street legal car which (my fearless prediction) will absolutely blow the doors off of a similarly-priced Porsche GT3RS in both straight-line and road course performance, and (b) it's a Mustang, which is a big plus to many of us.

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
How many will Ford actually build? Is it going to be a lottery only purchase similar to the Ford GT? How many will get sucked up by actual enthusiast versus collectors that wrap them in plastic and store them in humidity controlled and conditioned chambers so they can cash in at the Barret Jackson or Mecum auction in 5-10 years?

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
How many will Ford actually build? Is it going to be a lottery only purchase similar to the Ford GT? How many will get sucked up by actual enthusiast versus collectors that wrap them in plastic and store them in humidity controlled and conditioned chambers so they can cash in at the Barret Jackson or Mecum auction in 5-10 years?
Well we know at the very least the gentleman who posted above you will undoubtedly take his to the track.
Ben, we all live vicariously through you

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
It will be a system similar to the Ford GT , so sadly that will ensure a bunch will go into collections to be stored as 4 tired 401Ks. Sadly, selling high performance limited edition vehicles will often see the majority of the buyers barely driving them or putting them in a giant hermetically sealed chamber of preservation. I have been hammered with calls from past customers and the bulk of them are collectors and as I have no real skin in that super niche market anymore ( I can still help friends and racers with more conventional machines ) I have just directed them to those that can explain the situation. The one really good thing is if Mr. Benjamin Sloss gets one I can guarantee it will be " Hammer Time."

Every time we get a super special machine we wonder if anyone will actually use it for what we think it's intended use should be. The reality is those that actually track their cars ( TTs, HPDEs, autocross, Drag race , etc. ) is likely no more than 10-20% of the population and most of my friends in Marketing think the 20% is too high. So, go look in the mirror and realize you are a special breed and that is why this is such a great Forum to hang out at. You are part of Genus Trackraticus Superbious and though a small part of the Human Race , you understand the word Race truly defines you!

Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
SoCal
It will be a system similar to the Ford GT , so sadly that will ensure a bunch will go into collections to be stored as 4 tired 401Ks. Sadly, selling high performance limited edition vehicles will often see the majority of the buyers barely driving them or putting them in a giant hermetically sealed chamber of preservation. I have been hammered with calls from past customers and the bulk of them are collectors and as I have no real skin in that super niche market anymore ( I can still help friends and racers with more conventional machines ) I have just directed them to those that can explain the situation. The one really good thing is if Mr. Benjamin Sloss gets one I can guarantee it will be " Hammer Time."

Every time we get a super special machine we wonder if anyone will actually use it for what we think it's intended use should be. The reality is those that actually track their cars ( TTs, HPDEs, autocross, Drag race , etc. ) is likely no more than 10-20% of the population and most of my friends in Marketing think the 20% is too high. So, go look in the mirror and realize you are a special breed and that is why this is such a great Forum to hang out at. You are part of Genus Trackraticus Superbious and though a small part of the Human Race , you understand the word Race truly defines you!
Some value cars by the virginity of the odometer. Others value cars by the number of Miatas it can pass in one lap.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Be careful with that statement, as Miatas pass a ton of cars if one is autocrossing, ha. Having raced both Mustangs and Spec Miata , both cars suffer under the idea that they are not that fast or are not that great of a track car, and both surprise constantly!

Virgin odometer machines, that will go into my lexicon of great automotive sayings to use in the future, ha!

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
The front suspension is fascinating to me. I haven't seen one that has 3 rotating points before. I'm guessing they are all in line on the steering axis, but just wild.

Anyone know advantage of this style opposed to a conventional lower A-arm?
1692808983790.png

Anyone know advantage of this style opposed to a conventional lower A-arm?
It's dual/double ball joint suspension, which has one joint in tension and one in compression. It's becoming a lot more popular with high-end marques within the last decade. It creates a virtual ball joint located outboard of the spindle (imagine the arm angles continuing until they intersect) that improves the scrub radius, steering, and brake packaging.

This seems like a great writeup if you want a deeper dive: https://www.theautopian.com/our-for...ouble-ball-joint-suspension-is-so-incredible/

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
It's dual/double ball joint suspension, which has one joint in tension and one in compression. It's becoming a lot more popular with high-end marques within the last decade. It creates a virtual ball joint located outboard of the spindle (imagine the arm angles continuing until they intersect) that improves the scrub radius, steering, and brake packaging.

This seems like a great writeup if you want a deeper dive: https://www.theautopian.com/our-for...ouble-ball-joint-suspension-is-so-incredible/
Great article on the double ball joint suspension. Ford engineers must have thought the improvements it offered was worth it as they did put it under the S550 rather then keeping the S197 setup.
The suspension on the GTD is modern art, I'd hang that stuff on the walls of my garage, its a almost a shame that the body covers it up.

TMO Supporting Vendors