The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

GTD Mustang

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ralph Nader's wacko complaint that the car was " Unsafe at Any Speed." That was the title of treatise and it was based on early models, and it struck a lot of Trackraticus folks as hilarious as the latter models were out winning races and even in the 1980s a C Prepared Corsair won the National Championship autocrossing. All those rapid movements and big sweepers and I never saw a single one get into any problem ----- but I did see a VW Rabbit and a Volvo Amazon flip over onto their lids!!
This is the God's honest truth, some of those cars still had the SCCA class records at some tracks up into the 80s.

IDK, the Torino Talledega was raced at Talledega, The Dodge Daytona was raced at Daytona, the Superbird was.. well it was in a comic strip with a coyote so that counts, but I don't really get the GTD moniker for a car that won't be raced at Daytona, THAT car will be the GT3 in GTD.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Gibsonia, PA
Great article on the double ball joint suspension. Ford engineers must have thought the improvements it offered was worth it as they did put it under the S550 rather then keeping the S197 setup.
The suspension on the GTD is modern art, I'd hang that stuff on the walls of my garage, its a almost a shame that the body covers it up.
Agreed, a very well done article. Thanks for posting.

Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
It's dual/double ball joint suspension, which has one joint in tension and one in compression. It's becoming a lot more popular with high-end marques within the last decade. It creates a virtual ball joint located outboard of the spindle (imagine the arm angles continuing until they intersect) that improves the scrub radius, steering, and brake packaging.

This seems like a great writeup if you want a deeper dive: https://www.theautopian.com/our-for...ouble-ball-joint-suspension-is-so-incredible/
Ah, thanks for the explanation and article. Interesting stuff. I didn't realize the S550 used a similar suspension design. Going to try to wrap my head around how it works...new rabbit hole to go down 😁

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
Ann Arbor, MI
Like it or not, for a large percentage of car guys the Nurburgring in Germnay has become THE yard stick for determining a car's performance, and that's not without some merit, at least for street cars. YouTube has tens of thousands of videos that each day evaluate most every cars' capabilities on that "track." It's like Trans Am, SCCA or LeMans races back in the day, but anyone with a driver's license and entry fee can try their hand (if you happen to be in Germany with your car).

That being said, to me it looks like Ford is simply building a car that will once again capture the world's attention, just like they did in the 1960's and early 70's (think Shelby Cobra, Daytona Coupe, Boss 302). But in the 21st century it's no longer Ford v. Ferrari or any one team. The world's stage for car enthusiasts has become Nurburgring , and that's where Ford can once again make a statement that cuts across the whole world and for decades ahead. Genius. As a result, maybe the car should be labeled "GTN" rather than GTD, as GTD, whatever the D means in this case, makes no sense for its primary purpose - to "win" at Nurburgring. Farfenugin.

Boone

Professional Thread Killer
I know the Ring is the world stage for a street car lap time, but the most important time on this continent is the Lightning Lap at VIR Grand. I'm praying for a GTD to show up, and I'd like to see something under a 2:38. This will place it slightly better than the fastest street Vette to ever attend. Here's hoping the weather and cooperate entities cooperate.

GT"D" is an entry level endurance series that runs GT3 cars, relatively unrestricted because they allow amateur drivers, the GT cars are regulated with pro drivers. GT3 spec cars run in both. I guess Ford thought the D sounded zoomie

Exp. Type
Drag Strip
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Houston
Hey everyone, I’m very interested in ordering the new Mustang GTD this seems to be the only forums I could find talking about it. Im not sure if I even have a chance to be accepted as a buyer. I gave ford my email on their website, they sent me a email back a few days later saying they will have some one contact me in 30 days. Any idea what it takes to be accepted ? My dream scenario would be to order it in Mystichrome 😍 but I highly doubt I will be accepted seeing that I never owned a Ford-GT and I’m not a huge social media influencer.

Last edited:
@treynor were you able to already put down a deposit for an allocation in Monterey? If yes, that's pretty awesome, congrats!
To be clear, I didn't get asked to put down a deposit. Ford invited me to the launch event, and sent me my chassis number inscribed on a coin. It was a very classy move.

It looks to me like they handpicked a set of folks that they expect will drive these beasts in anger once they're released. In my case, they are correct 😁

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
To be clear, I didn't get asked to put down a deposit. Ford invited me to the launch event, and sent me my chassis number inscribed on a coin. It was a very classy move.

It looks to me like they handpicked a set of folks that they expect will drive these beasts in anger once they're released. In my case, they are correct 😁
But you didn't disclose why they selected you nor why they are "selecting" people to purchase these cars.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Simple : GT3 is trademarked by Porsche ... GTD is an IMSA category in which we (Ford) will race the Mustang GT3 racecar. Mustang being an american car, it makes sense to use GTD as a moniker.

@treynor were you able to already put down a deposit for an allocation in Monterey? If yes, that's pretty awesome, congrats!
Congratulations on being a part of this project and having the wraps taken off of this for the public. The car has been pretty well-received and you should be proud. Great job!

But you didn't disclose why they selected you nor why they are "selecting" people to purchase these cars.
Ben's got a pretty decent history of buying Ford and Ferrari performance street cars and factory race cars and driving the piss out of them. I'm guessing the selection process will be similar to how Ford gave out GT allocations.

TMO Supporting Vendors