The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Hello 2021 Mach I - Goodbye GT350 and Bullitt.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Just from our personal experience it appears that the likely end of the GT 350 is not hurting sales but generating more interest. We currently only have one in stock and one incoming available ( others are all sold). We are even trying to get more allocation since we should have earned it but the build dates will be getting late quite soon and there is a possibility they will not increase production back to the original projections!

Incoming , actually should be listed as unsold, as we do have one Heritage Edition GT 350 available.

[email protected]

Just from our personal experience it appears that the likely end of the GT 350 is not hurting sales but generating more interest. We currently only have one in stock and one incoming available ( others are all sold). We are even trying to get more allocation since we should have earned it but the build dates will be getting late quite soon and there is a possibility they will not increase production back to the original projections!

Incoming , actually should be listed as unsold, as we do have one Heritage Edition GT 350 available.

[email protected]

Stop.....if it was an R, id have to figure out how many meals a week i could miss to afford a 3rd mustang.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
While the ratios are nice, I don't care for the MT82 for performance variants of the mustang. The 3160 is miles better. Outside the issues mentioned (clutch and supporting hardware), I'm surprised to not hear about some of the quality control issues around the earlier MT82 boxes. My 2011 GT whined and wailed with just a few miles on the clock when I picked it up, had no idea it wasn't normal until the first dealer oil change. Swapped transmission later, it was much improved (but even after throwing every part at it one at a time - it still couldn't compare to the shifting speed of a Magnum XL trans). My 2016 GT had a MT82 as well, and was much improved; still the GT350 driving experience is so much better that if it weren't for the shared platform, bodywork and interior parts you wouldn't recognize the cars as being related to each other.

Hopefully the Mach shows up with something nicer (especially nicer than a MT82 - D4 ). 3160 gets my vote.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
While the ratios are nice, I don't care for the MT82 for performance variants of the mustang. The 3160 is miles better. Outside the issues mentioned (clutch and supporting hardware), I'm surprised to not hear about some of the quality control issues around the earlier MT82 boxes. My 2011 GT whined and wailed with just a few miles on the clock when I picked it up, had no idea it wasn't normal until the first dealer oil change. Swapped transmission later, it was much improved (but even after throwing every part at it one at a time - it still couldn't compare to the shifting speed of a Magnum XL trans). My 2016 GT had a MT82 as well, and was much improved; still the GT350 driving experience is so much better that if it weren't for the shared platform, bodywork and interior parts you wouldn't recognize the cars as being related to each other.

Hopefully the Mach shows up with something nicer (especially nicer than a MT82 - D4 ). 3160 gets my vote.
I read: Even Chris didn’t break one! ;)

And FWIW, since you didn’t have a Boss clutch, I’m not surprised you didn’t have any massive failures.

If the MT-82 was as fragile as some claim, wouldn’t you have broken one too?

Grant 302

I did absolutely break one rather extensively/catastrophically (on a warm up lap no less, on a fairly gentle downshift), the nicer one of the two my 2011 had. Pieces of it are still probably in the runoff at Wild Horse Pass Motorsports Park East track adjacent to turn 1.
I stand corrected. Must have forgotten!

What broke?

EDIT: wasn’t that a clutch grenading?

Last edited:

Grant 302

That be it. I don't necessarily blame the transmission for the fault directly, but as a platform. We shouldn't have had to engineer around all these issues (and thus run into developmental teething issues like exploding clutches)
Yes, thats what I blame Ford for...the ‘platform’ issues and as I have said, all the supporting hardware. And the crappy Boss clutch from Turkey to top it off.

But I couldn’t blame them for an exploding aftermarket clutch, nor would I count that as an MT-82 failure.

captdistraction

GrumpyRacer
Phoenix, Az
I absolutely count that as a MT82 failure, its the platform they chose (while the box itself wasn't the cause of the issue, but again I had already gone through one other once that unit was killed by its clutch). There was a lot of push about "hey this thing will be great for the track" with the GT and Boss 302, and the experience in oem form was far from what was advertised.

I don't have similar issues in my 6060-derived magnum XL, nor the 3160 (which neither admittedly would never end up in the pedestrian mustang models in volume). Side note, if you didn't like the boss clutch, you'd really not like the GT clutch which was even worse (I went through two before landing on the RXT that ultimately claimed the transmission - they couldn't stand up to high RPM usage on track in hot weather without losing the bonding agent for the friction material)

Grant 302

Side note, if you didn't like the boss clutch, you'd really not like the GT clutch which was even worse
I have a GT and don’t have a problem with it. But I only use it up to the stock GT rev limit.

My problem with the Boss clutch is that it doesn’t even work for stock Boss RPM limit or power levels.

Grant 302

Isnt the guy from Chile on his 3rd Calimer built mt-82 in his boss

Might be some user error there. I know a co-driver was directly responsible for killing one.

@Mad Hatter - I suppose you’re the ‘guy from Chile’! ;) :p

In context to the rest of the discussion, I include lack of or improper heel-toe as ‘user error’.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Isnt the guy from Chile on his 3rd Calimer built mt-82 in his boss

Second Calimer, to be correct... first one was a stage one that got me two championships... then, when it died tried to rebuild a couple ourselfs... gears fell apart, maybe questionable parts? Now on a stage three tranny and happy with that. Untold number of dead regular MT82s... Nice to have a tranny thats rated to over 700 lbs torque for a change.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Might be some user error there. I know a co-driver was directly responsible for killing one.

@Mad Hatter - I suppose you’re the ‘guy from Chile’! ;) :p

In context to the rest of the discussion, I include lack of or improper heel-toe as ‘user error’.

Note a chance! Would not spend money on a Mach1 Sorry might be cool and all but its not for me... And never owned a automatic car.

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
Just a note, the Calimer Stage 3 was my budget choice since its much cheaper then a Magnum XL swap.... And its lighter! If it was good enough for Fords one off electric 1000Hp S550.... its fine for me.....:)

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel