The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Initial mods are done. Just need 500 more miles.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Last night I went out and bed in my pads on the new front rings. I noticed a pretty significant "brake dive" under hard braking. It's similar to what I saw on some of the magazine review videos. I probably didn't notice it as much with the street pads. Man do these DTCs stop the car. I know some were worried that the DTC70 might be too aggressive for the ABS on the fronts, but I didn't kick them off even with street tires. With r-comps they shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, it's got me wondering how the springs will hold up under track conditions ???

Yeah I am looking forward to some one coming out with BOSS spacific springs in the near future like MM. Not only to stiffin it a little but to lower it just a bit.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Last night I went out and bed in my pads on the new front rings. I noticed a pretty significant "brake dive" under hard braking. It's similar to what I saw on some of the magazine review videos. I probably didn't notice it as much with the street pads. Man do these DTCs stop the car. I know some were worried that the DTC70 might be too aggressive for the ABS on the fronts, but I didn't kick them off even with street tires. With r-comps they shouldn't be an issue. Anyway, it's got me wondering how the springs will hold up under track conditions ???

I think you've got that backwards, R-Comps should stop even harder...

Well we had a blast. It's going to take some getting used to from the GT500. The car really turns well and you can apply throttle more easily in the corners. It took me a while to figure out the transmission ratios and ended up finding running one gear up was better for me. I ran a square setup of 275/40/18 NT01s in the morning and a staggered set of 305/35/18 and 275/35/18 R888s in the afternoon. The NT01s were brand new and the R888s were mostly used. It felt better to me with the staggered set and was able to apply throttle with more confidence. However, my best lap time was only 1 second faster and that was after a lot more seat time. So, it's too early to tell what setup will be the fastest. I will say that it felt like it wanted to oversteer with the square setup which isn't surprising. Dialing back the rear dampers to 4 seemed to help, and maybe 3 would have been even better, but I didn't get to that. Too many things to experiment with in one day!!

Another big factor was the braking points. The braking system worked great. I had a very firm predictable pedal all day. I found I could brake much later than the GT500, but it took me a while to adjust. That's just going to take some time. Ford did a really nice job of giving us a fun car right out of the box.

There was a future Boss owner with a 3Q car that found me down there. He lived in the area and was hoping to get a good look at a Boss. He asked about coming out and I told him to bring a helmet and he could ride along. Apparently he brought a video camera too :D

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/2012-boss-302-mustang-373/765571-boss-302-track.html#post10609508

Hey Gary, sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait till I get out on track. ;D

What kind of coolant temps did you get? The reason I ask is that my temps are much higher than I thought they would be and that's not even under track conditions.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Another big factor was the braking points. The braking system worked great. I had a very firm predictable pedal all day. I found I could brake much later than the GT500, but it took me a while to adjust. That's just going to take some time. Ford did a really nice job of giving us a fun car right out of the box
Other than the brake cooling kit, did you do any brake mods? DOT 4? Different pads?

I enjoyed the vids!

ArizonaGT said:
Other than the brake cooling kit, did you do any brake mods? DOT 4? Different pads?

I enjoyed the vids!
Just a few....he'll be by later to give you the laundry list of brake mods. ;D

Dean#4AI said:
Hey Gary, sounds like you had a great time. I can't wait till I get out on track. ;D

What kind of coolant temps did you get? The reason I ask is that my temps are much higher than I thought they would be and that's not even under track conditions.
Great question Dean. I noticed we must have a 192 stat so my car runs between 188-200 just driving around. One of my biggest gripes with the GT500 was the overheating issue. I ran around 220 all morning. In the afternoon, it got up to 88 degrees ambient (hot for early April!) and temps started to rise. I started hitting mid-230s and eventually over 240 and drew a warning and shut it down. Well I started analyzing my driving and realized I was running way too high RPMs because of the different transmission ratios on the Boss. I typically drove this track in 4th on hte GT500, hitting 5th in the long front straight, and down to 3rd in Turn 15 heading into that straight. I had been running the Boss mostly in 3rd going to 4th in 2nd and 3rd longest straights and 5th in the longest one. That also left me just at the rev limiter in the 4th and 5th longest straights. There wasn't enough time to benefit from upshifting there.

Well, 4th gear is 1:1 in the GT500 and 3rd gear is 1.69 in the Boss, so I was running effectively two gears down from the GT500! With 5th being 1:1 in the Boss, that wouldn't work since it doesn't have the low end torque like the GT500. So, I let it run in the paddock and the temps came down to 192, but the reservoir was still almost at the top, well above the top of the cold fill line. I went back out and ran 4th (going to 5th in the long straight and 3rd in 15), and temps stayed right around 220. The reservoir was back down to the cold fill line right after exiting thre track. Best of all, I dropped my lap time by over 1 full second. ;D There's just a learning curve with a new car.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
5 DOT 0 said:
ArizonaGT said:

I enjoyed the vids!
Just a few....he'll be by later to give you the laundry list of brake mods. ;D

I think I had a few too many beers last night, the info I was looking for is posted earlier on the same page :)

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Great question Dean. I noticed we must have a 192 stat so my car runs between 188-200 just driving around. One of my biggest gripes with the GT500 was the overheating issue. I ran around 220 all morning. In the afternoon, it got up to 88 degrees ambient (hot for early April!) and temps started to rise. I started hitting mid-230s and eventually over 240 and drew a warning and shut it down. Well I started analyzing my driving and realized I was running way too high RPMs because of the different transmission ratios on the Boss. I typically drove this track in 4th on hte GT500, hitting 5th in the long front straight, and down to 3rd in Turn 15 heading into that straight. I had been running the Boss mostly in 3rd going to 4th in 2nd and 3rd longest straights and 5th in the longest one. That also left me just at the rev limiter in the 4th and 5th longest straights. There wasn't enough time to benefit from upshifting there.

Well, 4th gear is 1:1 in the GT500 and 3rd gear is 1.69 in the Boss, so I was running effectively two gears down from the GT500! With 5th being 1:1 in the Boss, that wouldn't work since it doesn't have the low end torque like the GT500. So, I let it run in the paddock and the temps came down to 192, but the reservoir was still almost at the top, well above the top of the cold fill line. I went back out and ran 4th (going to 5th in the long straight and 3rd in 15), and temps stayed right around 220. The reservoir was back down to the cold fill line right after exiting thre track. Best of all, I dropped my lap time by over 1 full second. ;D There's just a learning curve with a new car.

ARGHHHHH I AM HAVING TRACK WITHDRAWLS!!! :eek: :mad: :-[

ArizonaGT said:
The SS lines seemed to make a big difference, but I can't give a direct comparison since I never had it on track with the stock "low compressibility" lines. I can only compare on the street, but the braking was awesome. I have so much time to be gained there, it's just going to take an adjustment from the GT500 braking points. The Super Blue held up well. I'll swap to Brembo next time I change, but go back to super blue for ease of seeing the different color. I never engaged the ABS with the 70s so no worries there. I think you said you had some trouble with those on your GT.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Cool!

Regarding the fluid--ATE also offers "TYP200" which is the same thing as Super Blue, minus the blue dye. Look into this unless you're interested in the Brembo fluid for some specific reason (higher DBP, etc).

ArizonaGT said:
Cool!

Regarding the fluid--ATE also offers "TYP200" which is the same thing as Super Blue, minus the blue dye. Look into this unless you're interested in the Brembo fluid for some specific reason (higher DBP, etc).
Thanks. I have 5 bottles of Brembo left. If the Super Blue seems to handle it I'll try the Type 200 after going Super Blue again.

Good question. I usually change it every 2-4 track days, or at least bleed it good. I try to look at it to see if it's darkening and make the call on that. I am thinking I won't have to change as often as the GT500 as it really cooked it due to being so front heavy. Others chime in........

cloud9,

What offset are the PF01's? Are you happy with those wheels? Did you source from TireRack or somewhere else? I'm asking, because I don't think TireRack shows any 18" wheels fitting a Mustang GT, much less the PF01's. So I guess you have to just call and ask?

enkeir_pf01_b_ci3_l.jpg

The PF01's are available with a black finish now, so they are my top contender for track wheels. Just looking for the offset and any other comments you might have.

Thanks.

Jimmy

Hey Jimmy. Glad to be the guinea pig on this one. (NOT! ;D) I already had a set of Enkei PF01s in 18 x 10.5 38mm offset rear and 18 x 9.5 35mm offset fronts. I bought a new set of 18 x 9.5 45mm offset all around. I would have bought the black finish if they were available. Are they available now? They weren't in stock when I ordered the latest set.

I run a 305 on the 10.5s. I run 275s on the 9.5s. You can run a 275 up front on either offset 9.5 wheel. If I were to do it again, I'd probably stick with the 35mm offset as it gives you more strut clearance. As it stands, I still have 1/2" with a 275/40/18 up there on the 45mm offsets, and almost a full inch with the 35s. Since I have -1.7 degrees of camber without c/c plates, and will probably add them, there's tons of room from the fender. The rears will stick out just a bit from the fender out back, but they will not rub. You have a ton of clearance inside with a 305. You could probably run a 315 if you wanted to, but then they'd stick out another 3/16" roughly.

I love these wheels. 20 lbs and at a great price. I'm actually starting to like the silver, but will stick with the black wheels on the street.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel