The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Installed BOSS LCD Track Apps Cluster

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yeah, it is long, but the main three characters who began this odyssey and figured all of this out did exactly that, installed '13 LCD clusters in '12 mustangs. (Jim010, DMHines and ZeroAviation) It is a looooooong read, but it is over months and these guys figured it out.

great read actually if you have a while LOL

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f803/13-14-cluster-into-10-12-car-trackapps-retrofit-514651/index61/

93Cobra, I don't feel bad at all. Dealerships monopolize a lot of things and charge out the wazoo for them. I bought the cluster for a reasonable price FROM a dealer. I let some others buy the VCMII first and got their feedback after they had tried it. I have looked at a mechanics scantool at a shop are the same. Guarantee they are made in the same factory. The quality is good and they work great. They even log in to Ford and do security checks and download the newest updates. If it were a problem, they would prevent that for sure.

Maui
Deerslayer, you're right, that is a pretty long read.. This would be a cool upgrade to the 2012 cluster... So is the final write up for the 2012 on the mustangforums on a particular page? haha. I have a lot of reading to do.

Here is what you need to do to install a track apps cluster in a '12

parts needed:
1) Cluster
2) ZeroAviation's "black box"
3) VCMII scan tool
4) 4way Cruise switch

Install the switch, cluster and hook up the "balck box" inside your console
Use the VCMII to do Instrument Panel Cluster (PMI) install
Use the VCMII to do PATS key relearn and reset
Use the VCMII to change ASBUILT for the ABS module (change two codes)

*the only thing that they have not completely worked out is the cruise 4way switch. It works with the new switch, it just is a different order of commands for the cruise than what is marked on the switch.
The cluster will work with out the black box, but it is a basic cluster without the track apps or the digital gauges like cylinder temp, AFR etc. The black box converts the data from the '12's modules so the cluster reads it properly and displays the full menu, not the base menu. They have a switch that is like a dead mans switch inside your console so if you take your car into a dealer, you turn that switch off so that the dealer cant see it when they hook up their scan tool. For the installs into 13's and 14's none of this is needed to get all of the bells and whistles.

Deerslayer,

Thanks for the thread and the link (great read).
I am also interested in where you purchased your VCM II clone from.
Quick question, do you know which model # number VCM II you received (SP177 or SP177C)?

Thanks,
Pinbot1966

This is exactly where I bought mine from on this link: I paid via paypal and it was here in 6 days
http://www.carsets.co.uk/wholesale/ford-vcm-ii-diagnostic-tool.html

The "SP177C" is for the wifi, BUT....it is a LOT more AND you can get the dongles for MUCH LESS.
This VCMII with the Dlink it is $200 more! LOL

Here is what you need if you want to go wireless for a fraction of the cost:
On ebay, if you buy two of these, you can wifi this and do not have to hook up via usb to your laptop.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/291089020016?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

These VCMII units have rubber caps on the end, open the little door where the wifi symbol is and plug in one of these to it and one to your laptop if you want to go wireless.
For $20 more, you have a $450+ VCM II scan tool for $250

I need to update this:
There was a significant breakthrough on the MS thread regarding a '13 Track Apps Cluster install into '12 model cars. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE A "BLACK BOX" ANYMORE. You can own a '12 and with the use of the VCMII tool make a LCD track Apps cluster work 100% Cruise control and all! Even on '12s, all you need is the cluster, steering wheel switch and the scan tool.

Nice.

Deerslayer did the company you bought your new boss cluster from include updating/programming the current mileage and did you buy from Tousley/Auto Nation?

Thanks for the clarification on the SP177 and SP177C.

Barry

Deerslayer did the company you bought your new boss cluster from include updating/programming the current mileage and did you buy from Tousley/Auto Nation?
Yes, when you buy the cluster from Tousley/AN, you need to give a VIN# of a '13 Boss like: (1ZVBP8CU9D5248786) [one I used] and give YOUR mileage. I sent my BASE model cluster back to Tousley/AN and they reimbursed me my $300 core charge no questions asked. Your cluster new will come with the mileage you tell them.

Can you buy a used (eg from a total) cluster and reprogram the proper mileage for your car?
If you buy a used cluster, the only way to adjust the mileage is to send it to a speedo repair shop that reprograms mileage. I have heard it costs about $75 and there are quite a few places that do it.
You need to consider that if buying used cluster. The tool and IDS will NOT program mileage.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Deerslayer said:
I need to update this:
There was a significant breakthrough on the MS thread regarding a '13 Track Apps Cluster install into '12 model cars. IT DOES NOT REQUIRE A "BLACK BOX" ANYMORE. You can own a '12 and with the use of the VCMII tool make a LCD track Apps cluster work 100% Cruise control and all! Even on '12s, all you need is the cluster, steering wheel switch and the scan tool.
thank you. Please pm me the link to the scan tool

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Justin

I have the gauge and steering wheel switch. This mod isn't as easy as it lets on for guys with 2012's. Wiring of the switch is required. Have to get pins for this. Where do you get the pins.....no one can seem to answer this.
You also need to buy a new abs module if you want track apps to work
Here is the part I don't like...you have to change the vin stored in your ECU and force a 13 boss program load on to it.
This is the true bummer on this thread. The how to is poorly poorly written. Yeah easy swap this repin this. The vcmII use directions are this " load as built for a 2013" thanks! That clears that right up as if using the ids program is clear cut. It's not.
When I manage to get all the parts and how to flash everything I'll take what are called screen shots of navigating through the menus and sub menus and do a logical in order how to. Attempted to go through the 80+ page thread quickly abandoned that to mind numbing so for me just isn't going to happen. The condensed how to is lacking on details

Summary: it's not a simple straight forward swap I was lead to believe

Justin,
Sorry to hear but thanks for the heads up! I was planing to do this in the near future but now it's obviously on hold......hope you get it figured out.

I saw your post on another site, I best this is about to change ;D

Yeah, after this weekend the car will have significantly more get up n go to her and then I am sure this will be our second favorite mod :)

I have the gauge and steering wheel switch. This mod isn't as easy as it lets on for guys with 2012's. Wiring of the switch is required. Have to get pins for this. Where do you get the pins.....no one can seem to answer this.
You also need to buy a new abs module if you want track apps to work
Here is the part I don't like...you have to change the vin stored in your ECU and force a 13 boss program load on to it.
This is the true bummer on this thread. The how to is poorly poorly written. Yeah easy swap this repin this. The vcmII use directions are this " load as built for a 2013" thanks! That clears that right up as if using the ids program is clear cut. It's not.
When I manage to get all the parts and how to flash everything I'll take what are called screen shots of navigating through the menus and sub menus and do a logical in order how to. Attempted to go through the 80+ page thread quickly abandoned that to mind numbing so for me just isn't going to happen. The condensed how to is lacking on details

For '12 owners, it is a LOT more involved than what I had to do. It is ashamed, because I have helped install 5 premium and Boss Clusters now in '13s and '14s and it is literally a half hour job that anyone can do. For '12, they have simplified it quite a bit from the beginning where you needed a black box, but I agree, it is more complicated if you are not a computer guy (which I am NOT) People hesitate to post complete how too using the VCMII because it is a clone tool using Ford Rotunda software and I am sure they fear some type of retribution if they openly post it.
I will say, you can contact some of the guys on that thread and they will walk you through things over the phone.

Justin

I have been searching and searching for harness pins online. Can't find them no where. Went to several electronic shops again nothing. This is what is holding me up from going any further.

Any where can I get some freakin' pins!?!?!

Sad to say this is not the first time I've heard negative comments about the present day Radio Shack. Back in the 70's & 80's they were a force to be reckoned with but now they have seemed to stagnate in the market place. I hope they can turn it around & return to their former business commitment.

TMO Supporting Vendors