The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Here's the video of my best lap at Road America in the Boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=svTOPxfqamA

Subjectively the Boss felt much more planted in the corners than the Shelby, although obviously didn't pull as hard up the straights. Interestingly the (cooled) 4 pot Brembo's on the Boss had less fade than the (un-cooled) 6 pot Brembo's on the Shelby. Both cars were running XP24's up front with Contis. I was 5 seconds faster in the Boss in hotter, more humid weather.

Here's the data (Shelby/Boss):
Front Straight Speed: 153/146
Moraine Sweep: 147/141
Kink: 90/100
Canada Corner: 53/63
Turn 5: 46/51

Clearly very different laps! Part of the explanation for the Braking difference is obviously weight and the fact that the shelby speed differential are higher due to faster top speeds and lower corner entry speeds......

Nice driving! To be clear you have a 2013 GT500 with 662 HP that's basically stock right? Interesting to see the differences in speed in both directions. If you spent more time with the GT500 on track do you think your times would improve?

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
NFSBOSS said:
Nice driving! To be clear you have a 2013 GT500 with 662 HP that's basically stock right? Interesting to see the differences in speed in both directions. If you spent more time with the GT500 on track do you think your times would improve?

Thanks -- Yes Stock 2013 GT500, with the Boss 18" Wheels, Contis, Carbotech XP24 Pads and DOT4 Fluid.

Re times, obviously I've had more track time in the Boss so I know it better around the Track. That said I had about twice as much seat time at RA in the Shelby (6 sessions) versus about 2.5 in the Boss. However, my last session was on R6's in the Boss, that were about 1 second faster than the Contis.

There's room to improve both times, but I don't think the stock Shelby can get within 2-3 seconds of the Boss on this track using the same tires. Take some weight out of the Shelby, stiffen up the spring rates and improve brake performance and it would be real close on this track.....

Of all the tracks I've run, RA most favors the Shelby

Black Boss said:
Thanks -- Yes Stock 2013 GT500, with the Boss 18" Wheels, Contis, Carbotech XP24 Pads and DOT4 Fluid.

Re times, obviously I've had more track time in the Boss so I know it better around the Track. That said I had about twice as much seat time at RA in the Shelby (6 sessions) versus about 2.5 in the Boss. However, my last session was on R6's in the Boss, that were about 1 second faster than the Contis.

There's room to improve both times, but I don't think the stock Shelby can get within 2-3 seconds of the Boss on this track using the same tires. Take some weight out of the Shelby, stiffen up the spring rates and improve brake performance and it would be real close on this track.....

Of all the tracks I've run, RA most favors the Shelby

That is best comparison of the two cars I have read, and amazing how much better the Boss is vs the Shelby. The comparison seems very fair especially given you have more RA seat time in the Shelby. Thanks for posting that and nice lap time!!

Went to Mosport last weekend. It was my first day at this track. This is my new favorite track, lot of turns, but also lots of speed. It seems to be good track from the Boss as the power helps down the back straight, then the ultimate grip and balance helps through the many high speed sweepers. I really got an appreciation for my 50+ heat cycle Nitto NT01's after I corded them on the 3rd day and ended up running on my street BFG Sport Comp II's. We had rain the first day, and I had a charging problem with my Ipod, so my only dry video is from my first 2 sessions on day 2, where I was still trying to learn the track.

Best lap was a 1:40.36, but looking at the video, I realized I was still trying to figure out how much speed could be carried into turn 8 [a lot] so I'm betting the car is capable of mid 1:30's even with my old tires, and my limited skills.

Here are a couple of 3 lap video's. In the second video, I pointed a 911 turbo S past me on the front straight. Interesting to see how he disappears down the back straight. I think that's the first time I've run across a car with such a power advantage over the Boss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E0dSAhuI0fM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jdv2ZqJJFcU

ArizonaBOSS said:
New personal best at MRLS: 1:37.8

Boss race car, suspension, 315mm A7s

There is at least another two seconds out there...

Thats a really good lap for club racing and not a lot of seat time at MRLS!!

The pro level guys (read Phoenix AJ) were throwing down 1:33.8's in qualifying at the runoffs last year, and a handful of other mustangs ran mid 1:34's

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
ilesjohn said:
Thats a really good lap for club racing and not a lot of seat time at MRLS!!

The pro level guys (read Phoenix AJ) were throwing down 1:33.8's in qualifying at the runoffs last year, and a handful of other mustangs ran mid 1:34's

Thanks dude, and thanks again for the advice--it was great to meet you in-person finally :) There is plenty more time out there for sure.

33.8's would have been at least able to keep Brinkop in-view for most of the race :eek:

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
New Hampshire Motors Speedway (NHMS) - 1.20.6
2014 GT track pack, springs/shocks, BFG R1's, Raybestos ST47/ST43 fr/rr pads

Video to come later, again once I can get some time online...

Fun track - bumpy, but fun. I might post up the video following and passing the GT3, although my commentary to my friend may need a bit of editing. Like when she says "oh, he is going to pout now cause you passed?" haha all in good fun obviously

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
Not sure the quality is good but here is the video from Palmer for ya Matt!

Edit: think the upload worked...

https://youtu.be/3zMuPY7HWV0

Thanks for posting the video. That was a lot of fun. Interesting to see the different lines. I would love to tighten up some of the corners but the boss just won't turn. Have to do big smooth round turns to carry any speed.

Matt

TMO Supporting Vendors