The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Lap Time Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
mustangmatt said:
Thanks for posting the video. That was a lot of fun. Interesting to see the different lines. I would love to tighten up some of the corners but the boss just won't turn. Have to do big smooth round turns to carry any speed.

Matt

Not sure of your wheel/tire setup but in the stock config there is just not enough tire up front. Going square would help that condition quite a bit, along with a slightly softer rear bar once the additional front grip is there.

Like Tucson302 said, not a lot of room for error on that track! I'll bet the elevation changes are tons of fun, and I'll bet they are a lot more extreme than the video shows!

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
ArizonaBOSS said:
Not sure of your wheel/tire setup but in the stock config there is just not enough tire up front. Going square would help that condition quite a bit, along with a slightly softer rear bar once the additional front grip is there.

Like Tucson302 said, not a lot of room for error on that track! I'll bet the elevation changes are tons of fun, and I'll bet they are a lot more extreme than the video shows!

I believe we were both on square 275/35/18's that day

No room for error but it doesn't feel bad driving. The elevation is incredible! No videos do justice.

Yes square on Conti takeoffs. I think all it needs is camber plates and a good frontend alignment. I am doing more track days than I planned to do with the car. Car is stock except shifter and wheels. Even brake pads as you can tell where Derek makes up a bunch of time on me. It was fun tooling around with someone. I always thought it makes both drivers quicker. Track is awesome. Elevations add a lot to it.

Matt

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
mustangmatt said:
Yes square on Conti takeoffs. I think all it needs is camber plates and a good frontend alignment. I am doing more track days than I planned to do with the car. Car is stock except shifter and wheels. Even brake pads as you can tell where Derek makes up a bunch of time on me. It was fun tooling around with someone. I always thought it makes both drivers quicker. Track is awesome. Elevations add a lot to it.

Matt

But a set of the raybestos st47's I've been running all season. Cheap and awesome. Then you can go beat up on me better ;)

Yes agree following leads to improved driving a lot of the time. And it makes track days far more fun as well. Get the boss out again soon!

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
DMichaels:

I found that fascinating to watch and I liked your line, in particular through the turn setting up for the long straight. Nice drive, very nice drive.

Good luck this season,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
302 Hi Pro said:
DMichaels:

I found that fascinating to watch and I liked your line, in particular through the turn setting up for the long straight. Nice drive, very nice drive.

Good luck this season,
Dave
302 Hi Pro

Thanks! The track has great flow, it's just taken some time to sort out the line that plays well with me and my car. Next time out will be on the "good" tires so I am expecting quicker laps :)

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
OK a couple laps at NHMS...

Chasing and getting slightly frustrated at GT3... friend riding along (for her first track day experience) had more than a few giggles, which made me happy

https://youtu.be/oPXs2zKslWc

And then my quick lap of the day. Only did 3 sessions as to save my tires for Palmer where Pete will be out in full force with the Boss "race car" ;)

http://youtu.be/M7ppFxU3GrM

This was my second time on Sonoma raceway. My best was 1:58.13 on the 3rd lap below and was 1:58-1:59 without traffic. It's a 2012 LS with a CJ Intake, SCJ throttle body, AED tune, NT01's on 9.5" BBS wheels. No suspension upgrades on this video but I did add Coretex's wattslink and lower controls arms, and T-springs this week after mini-nats. The last lap that's a Hillbank GT and a Vette, I left the boss in 3rd on the carousel (turn 6) and split them at the bottom, that was fun:)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wy3xmbl7x3Q

This is Thunderhill 5 Mile with the Bypass (Cyclone Hill/Turn included). I had a little traffic with the R8 and the GT500 and go locked out of 4th coming down the straight. I ran a 3:48.42. I am guessing I could have been 3:45-3:46 clean. 2012 Laguna Seca, Hankook VS3's, CJ Intake, SCJ Throttle Body, no suspension upgrades:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okkZum2BAhg

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Ok where is that little "Like" button to click on?

I like these latest race vids!

Thanks so much for posting.

Dave
302 Hi Pro

PS: Looks like Thunder Hill is a great Track, I would be comfortable racing there as the track is nice and open without walls everywhere as I've seen on some tracks that DMichicles runs. I'm not that good yet!

Good luck with your season
DDS

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
DMichaels said:
Sept 14-15 with neq
Can't make that one, will be travelling to Nebraska to go to the Mustang Roundup V.

At Lime Rock I improved my PB to a blistering 1:02.77. took a whole tenth off. I need to go to the Ford Racing School and try and improve the nut behind the wheel!
Steve

dmichaels

Papa Smurf
CT
steveespo said:
Can't make that one, will be travelling to Nebraska to go to the Mustang Roundup V.

At Lime Rock I improved my PB to a blistering 1:02.77. took a whole tenth off. I need to go to the Ford Racing School and try and improve the nut behind the wheel!
Steve

Steve , you should grab some passenger time with me at LRP. Not that I'm a pro, but maybe could give a few ideas on where to gain time there.

What tires did you run your PB with?

I might head to LRP in late Sept... Would like one more day there this season

I was at Summit Point again this past weekend and my fastest lap was 1:24.25. Last time I was out was 1:26.48.

My virtual best lap is in high 1:23's, so next up 1:23's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_YnEAzRG8

steveespo

Lord knows I'm a Voodoo Child
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Cookeville TN
F.D. Sako said:
I was at Summit Point again this past weekend and my fastest lap was 1:24.25. Last time I was out was 1:26.48.

My virtual best lap is in high 1:23's, so next up 1:23's!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ui_YnEAzRG8
Great Job Sako! wish I could've have made it down. If Steve ever gets his car fixed we will get out there again.
Steve

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Steve:

We have some fast Drivers on BMO, but you are a very fast Driver. Nice vid, and being able to hear your shift points is most helpful to me, but you need a better camera mount.

Good luck with your season,

Dave
302 Hi Pro

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel