The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

  • Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

LCA Relocation Brackets

Hey guys. I have been searching on here for a while and I can't seem to get a solid answer on this: Do you have to weld in your relocation brackets if you plan on tracking your Boss? I have seen that a lot do, but others don't. Is there an actual correct answer to this? Also, for those of you that didn't weld yours, have you had any issues? Thanks for your help fellas.
Nate
 
LindsayEOD said:
Hey guys. I have been searching on here for a while and I can't seem to get a solid answer on this: Do you have to weld in your relocation brackets if you plan on tracking your Boss? I have seen that a lot do, but others don't. Is there an actual correct answer to this? Also, for those of you that didn't weld yours, have you had any issues? Thanks for your help fellas.
Nate
If you're road racing the car, you can just bolt them in place and don't need to weld them. If you're going to drag race the car with MTs at 15psi and dump your clutch at 5k RPM then you better weld them or you could rip one out.
 
LindsayEOD said:
Hey guys. I have been searching on here for a while and I can't seem to get a solid answer on this: Do you have to weld in your relocation brackets if you plan on tracking your Boss? I have seen that a lot do, but others don't. Is there an actual correct answer to this? Also, for those of you that didn't weld yours, have you had any issues? Thanks for your help fellas.
Nate
You don't have to and the correct answer is it depends. ;D You'll want to weld them in if you're going to the strip and using drag radials otherwise you're fine bolting them on. The Boss 302S race car somes stock with them bolted on.
 
I am not a drag racer, only a few HPDE's. That makes me feel a little better since I really don't want to weld them. I was talking with Steeda and the rep said that I need to weld them in and once I started reading the other posts on here, I was a little confused. Now I just have to decide which ones to buy. Thanks guys.
 
LindsayEOD said:
I am not a drag racer, only a few HPDE's. That makes me feel a little better since I really don't want to weld them. I was talking with Steeda and the rep said that I need to weld them in and once I started reading the other posts on here, I was a little confused. Now I just have to decide which ones to buy. Thanks guys.
I have these and installed in the upper hole. They're very well made.

FRPP Rear LCA relo brackets M-5650-A



Uploaded with ImageShack.us
 
I have them bolted in now for just over a month with no problems. I have read if you run slicks weld them in. You can run the car as hard as you want they are not comming out of there. Just make sure you buy the heavy duty ones I have seen some I would not even put in if welding.
 
I've been looking at the FRPP ones Cloud9 and these BMR ones:
http://www.bmrsuspension.com/?page=products&productid=170
I wanted to do the FRPP LCA's as well but they are expensive. There seem to be a lot of alternatives with the same quality for a lot less.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
The Steeda brackets are weld-in only. Get the FRPP ones; they are high quality and much beefier than most of the ones I've seen online.

As for the LCAs, the FRPP ones are only expensive if you're getting the double-rod-end ones. If you want Poly Bushings you can get them for $190-210; PN M-5649-R1, those are the same used on the FR500C and BOSS302R.
 

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Moderator
8,545
2,376
Arizona, USA
The LCAs or the Brackets? I've never really been a fan of BMR products; they cater to the drag-racing crowd, my personal opinion is that their products are not designed with the needs of road-racers in-mind. I've seen pictures on the internet of their LCA brackets bent after dragstrip use as well.
 

Sesshomurai

Interesting. With regards to LCA's though, I would think the tolerances (forces) of the drag crowd far exceed those of us road racers though. you think?
So If they are spec'd to drag tolerances that should be ok. But I will investigate further there.
 
Ok so a couple of drinks can sometimes bring out the truth ;D The stock lower control arms are good as an anchor or better yet some kinda swing mechanism becaue the rubber band bushings will make it softer ;D I went with steeda billet lower steeda adjustable upper arm, steeda heavy duty upper control arm brack and the umi relocation bracket cause they are pretty heavy duty found a few people whom use them as bolt in with slicks so I figure if I dont do slicks I am super fine ;D Anyway I will put this car up against any stock mustang including a gt500 and wax your ass in take off the thing hooks even in this cold weather. I put the control arms in the lowest hole for leverage to the extreem when first had all of this finished I had my shocks in a pretty stiff position in the rear it still took off like a bat out of hell. before I would just spin the tires now it goes. And not to mention the handling is much better. Good luck.
 
Ok. So it looks like I'm going with the FRPP relocation brackets but am torn between the M-5649-R1 LCA's and the Steeda 555-4422 http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-chrome-moly-lower-control-arms.html
What are your thoughts on these? I like the idea of sticking with Ford Racing but if the Steeda's are superior, I'm good to go that route. I do appreciate all the help guys.
 
LindsayEOD said:
Ok. So it looks like I'm going with the FRPP relocation brackets but am torn between the M-5649-R1 LCA's and the Steeda 555-4422 http://www.steeda.com/store/steeda-mustang-chrome-moly-lower-control-arms.html
What are your thoughts on these? I like the idea of sticking with Ford Racing but if the Steeda's are superior, I'm good to go that route. I do appreciate all the help guys.
I can't comment on the Steeda LCAs since I don't have them but the FRPP LCAs were engineered and tested with their LCA relocation brackets and proven on the race cars.
 
I have the Kenny Brown LCA's and Relocation brackets, they are a bolt on application. So far so good. Really nice quality also. Just another option to look at.
 
5 DOT 0 said:
cloud9 said:
I can't comment on the Steeda LCAs since I don't have them but the FRPP LCAs were engineered and tested with their LCA relocation brackets and proven on the race cars.
And that was good enough for me. ;)


for me too. I'm a sucker for huge R&D departments ;-)
I've also tried to sway toward ford stuff for as many of the mods as I can...so that's part of it too.

while my car will never see a drag strip and has yet to see a track, I opted to have the relo brackets welded in for extra peace of mind. I don't see the harm, though I agree with folks' assessments that it's not necessary for anything other than extreme drag racing.
 
fuhrius said:
for me too. I'm a sucker for huge R&D departments ;-)
I've also tried to sway toward ford stuff for as many of the mods as I can...so that's part of it too.
Gary likes to remind me that it's doubtful any of the aftermarket companies have the resources or access to Ford like Ford Racing does. Buying parts used on the factory race cars is a strategy I like and will continue to use when possible. The Kenny Brown stuff, like many others, is also top notch. I met KB this past August and besides being a nice guy is very passionate and knowledgable about all things Mustang.

fuhrius said:
while my car will never see a drag strip and has yet to see a track, I opted to have the relo brackets welded in for extra peace of mind. I don't see the harm, though I agree with folks' assessments that it's not necessary for anything other than extreme drag racing.
Nothing wrong with welding in those brackets. I've never drag raced any car but hope to check that one off my list next Summer with my son at Sacramento Raceway.
 

TMO Supporting Vendors

Top