The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Longer 14x1.5 ARP Wheels Studs for S550/GT350

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

From another thread: @captdistraction @blacksheep-1

captdistraction said:
Quick shoutout to @tim for getting me setup with the 1/2" ARP kits. Installed on the problem corner on my car first (and it saved me from having to use the hub I ordered from ford) and the directions were spot on. I can't believe all the hardware, speed of shipping/customer service, and great directions came at the cost this kit did.

Quick photo from the kit (the optimum performance stuff is zinc plated):

14484740_10154431575866217_8330039625127503037_n.jpg

blacksheep-1 said:
Absolutely true statement, closed lug nuts seem to cause a lot of problems, in most racing organizations they aren't allowed for several reasons, one is to observe how far the stud goes into the nut and, secondly, as stated by Tim, they bottom out and create a stress moment on the stud.

@blacksheep-1

Speaking with a S550 customer this morning with 3 broken rear studs on one wheel and one on the other rear wheel, he sent me pictures of the failure (I will not share- dont ask) and in speaking to him we may have found the cause.

Factory studs, no bottoming of the closed nut, torqued to spec.

The issue appears to stem from Wheels that may not have enough stud clearance combined with tolerance stack up of the bolt circle. My theory is the bolt circle may be the root cause of the failures. Many wheels being used from 197 Mustangs with 1/2 studs when installed on 14mm stud S550's will physically slide on but when the wheel is tightened the tolerance of the bolt circle dimension is side loading the stud. The conical seat pulls the stud to center in the wheel, if the bolt circle is slightly off and the wheel was clearanced for 1/2" studs the stud is being stretched and bent at the same time.

His car is at a Ford Dealer being repaired and then will be transported back to him (long distance trip far from home) Once he gets is back he is going to do some measuring. One thing I am going to have him do is a stud to stud centerline measurement before and after the wheel is installed to see if they are being sideloaded.

We removed them from our site. We cancelled all outstanding orders with ARP. They may actually produce the 100-7732 by the end of November. This is the 4th time they have pushed back the date. The only ones they ran a small batch of was the longer 100-7733 for Ford Performance. We did manage to have one car set of 100-7733 coming, but not for sale. We will be moving forward with our own studs.

We do have a Customer in Europe who had a batch of 14MM extended studs made for his Race Car. He has offered them for sale to me. For some reason he was able to do this in a matter of weeks in Europe in a small batch but ARP can't seem to produce a product for a model sold all over the world in record numbers.

I assume his are machined from blanks not forged (why the fast turn around). I will update all of you on the progress of our own studs. I apolgize for inconvience.

I can't figure out exactly why it is so difficult for ARP to get the ball rolling with 14mm S550 wheel studs. The economies of scale are there for them to take advantage of but they don't seem motivated. Sometimes you just have to take the bull by the horns and do it yourself!

VoodooBOSS said:

Sorry if this has already been stated, but can you confirm what the two lugnuts pictured are? Are you using the one on the right with stock wheels, and on the left on the N4SM wheels?

ON EDIT: This is in response to post 26 by VoodooBOSS.

tim said:
As of today, first batch of 3.435" ones are finally getting on the shelf at ARP, the ones we had ordered are in that batch. The shorter ones, 2.935” (which are bascially 'R' Model Length) I expecting an updated ETA on today.

Bumping this thread to see if ARP has released the shorter 2.935 studs yet?

@CSL Yes, they are in my Local Warehouse so I can have them to ship the next day. I have 4 packs available (5 studs per pack) I will put them back on the website if anyone is interested. Also we about 6 packs of the long version on the shelf.

Edit: Updated the site to reflect the new options. We offer two different lug nuts, the standard wide seat nut as well as the 611-257 that you guys have had success with. Direct Link: http://www.opmustang.com/store/p99/ARP_14MM_Extended_Length_Stud_5_Pack_2015__Mustang.html

DFW, TX
Has anybody used MSI wheels studs on an S550/GT350? I don't know which knurl diameter is possibly late model Mustang stuff.

http://www.msiracingproducts.com/wheel-studs-1#ford

UHL (does not including bullet part)

.577-580" knurl DIA
68.75 mm
55mm
31mm

.625" knurl DIA (edit -after a bit of photo comparison, I think this is the only one that might work, the other knurl diameter looks too small in comparison to the 14mm stud)
63mm
82mm

Last edited by a moderator:

TMO Supporting Vendors