The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Looking for advice on new engine for ‘12 BOSS 302S

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thanks guys!!! I found out today that the 5.2 Aluminator becomes a 5.2 because they take out the sleeves in the block. It is now just bare aluminum. I am NOT going that route. I'm either going with the RY engine or a custom 5.0 build with J&E forged pistons, ford block, ford crank and Oliver rods.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Thanks guys!!! I found out today that the 5.2 Aluminator becomes a 5.2 because they take out the sleeves in the block. It is now just bare aluminum. I am NOT going that route. I'm either going with the RY engine or a custom 5.0 build with J&E forged pistons, ford block, ford crank and Oliver rods.

TMS is correct. It's not bare aluminum, and Ford has been using the process on the 5.8L GT500s. Lookup 'PTWA' 'spray bore' 'Nikasil' if you're interested.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
Whatever you end up doing, I would still highly recommend either an Aluminator Short Block or Long Block/Crate Engine from Ford Performance, as opposed to any custom engine builder. Unless you are forking over the cash for the Roush-Yates.

Hella this. Plus, Ford will warrant the engine...

There is still a lot of throw back , lather, rinse,repeat, mindset out there when it comes to coyote engine builds. Ford Performance and Roush Yates builds engines that check all of the correct boxes; durability, power, and rear world experience.

So unless ive missed something, nobody has mentioned mmr's 5.0 and 5.2 engines...is there a reason for that? Also, why would the 5.2xs not be good for a street car?

The 5.2XS with the Ford 24/24,000 warranty is a great option for an engine replacement in a 2015 and newer mustang.

My comment concerning "not a good option for a street car" is in reference to the pre-2015 models. The 5.2XS uses Gen 2 engine management, which is not supported / compatible with the pre-2015 model PCMs.

If you have a pre-2015 track car, Boss 302S, or Boss 302R that is stripped of most of the factory electronics and does not depend on plugging in the OEM instrument cluster, then retrofitting the 2015 - 2017 Ford Controls Pack is feasible with a good tuner to calibrate the car.

The other option for pre-2015 vehicles it to retrofit Gen 1 parts and sensors to the 5.2XS. But, you will void the engines warranty doing so.

Finally, the Aluminator short blocks do not have a warranty. Just complete Ford crate engines.

im going to be straight, this electronics stuff has me lost on another planet. I was under the assumption the engine controls pack sold alongside the engine would be a plug and play fix to the different programming of the pre 15 models, thanks for the breakdown though.

It's the difference between the Gen1 and Gen 2 cams and phasers that cause the compatibility gap. An XS motor with gen 1 cams and phasers from Ford Performance would be the ticket.

At this point, we can stop fighting city hall and go with stock engine replacement from Ford Performance.You can swap over the oil pan and pickup( be sure to get everything cleaned. Do not forget to replace the o-ring on the pickup tube). Other than the 302S modified sensors, your good to go....

Mad Hatter

Gotta go Faster
Santiago, Chile
If and when its time to refresh the motor on my 2012 Boss, the XS aluminitor shortblock is a direct swap to my heads? or since they are Gen2 does that require a bit more careful matching up of gen1 and gen 2 parts.... ?

I think we went over this some where., Will look for it

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel