The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DFW, TX
I guess I never introduced myself when I joined and Black Boss spurred me to share some pics of my previous racecar:

My new ride, -16 Shadow Black Track Pack taken at Hallet, though not an action shot:

20160614_203048.jpg

My old ride, 1965 2+2, raced with CVAR in Texas for 16 years, but it was time to do something different:

IMGP6409.jpg
DSC_1405.jpg
I'm in the middle of this, an "exhibition" race at Mid-America Ford Meet...
IMGP7975%20Custom.jpg
The last iteration of engines was a legit 289, R302 block, with a solid lifter cam made about 430HP at 7800rpm at flywheel:
289.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
bpracer said:
I guess I never introduced myself when I joined and Black Boss spurred me to share some pics of my previous racecar:

My new ride, -16 Shadow Black Track Pack taken at Hallet, though not an action shot:

20160614_203048.jpg

My old ride, 1965 2+2, raced with CVAR in Texas for 16 years, but it was time to do something different:

IMGP6409.jpg
DSC_1405.jpg
I'm in the middle of this, an "exhibition" race at Mid-America Ford Meet...
IMGP7975%20Custom.jpg
The last iteration of engines was a legit 289, R302 block, with a solid lifter cam made about 430HP at 7800rpm at flywheel:
289.jpg
Welcome!
Nice rides....Personally I wouldn't mind if you posted some more pics of those :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DFW, TX
Fabman said:
Welcome!
Nice rides....Personally I wouldn't mind if you posted some more pics of those :)
It was a very fun and entertaining car! Very simple, no driver aids, no vices, 2750 lbs w/o driver and a bit of fuel, massive 15x7 Fr and 15x8" Rr wheels!

Chasing a friend's Boss 302 Motorsports Ranch-Cresson:
IMGP6972__Medium_.jpg
A "pit stop" at one of my club's year end hour enduro at Texas World Speedway. That is me in the blue and a fellow driver in red (read the back of his suit!) helping me change two tires during the 5 minute mandatory stop. I had cords on the left front and right rear. It is a weird feeling going out on two cold tires on opposite corners of a car...
pit_stop.jpg
TWS:
TWS.jpg
Out for a Sunday drive in Wisconsin, two friends of mine out front of me, but I did manage to pass them that day:
road_america.jpg

FR500S-44

It's the challenge
Hmm, me? I grew up in the SF Bay Area when it was still a non-crowded place. Began my car career with a Model A truck because that's all my dad would let me have. Learned how to keep it running and how to make it home when the thing would stop abruptly. Ah, it's a FORD isn't it?! Went everywhere in that thing and always made it home.
Drafted into the Navy during Vietnam and was stationed near Long Beach, California. Bought desert racing Triumph motorcycle and began racing motorcycles in the dirt. Raced motorcycles off road for 26 years. Was AMA Northern California top rider for many years in a row. Have the number plates to prove it. Became active in the 'unfairness' of land-use. Spoke up enough that the Governor appointed me to be the Deputy Director of the California State Parks System. As such I ran the $50million OHV program for 6 years. My goal was to protect the off roader / jeeper and snowmobiler. I did. But it was like a rubber band. California politics and social culture is nuts.
Soon after that state job was over my wife got tired of me hanging around and sent me and my adult son, intermediate motorcrosser, to 4 days at Bondurant. School was over on a Thursday and on Sunday I took my 2009 Z06 Corvette to Thunderhill for it's first Track Day with Hooked On Driving. And.....I was hooked. Since then I've tracked the Z06 58 Track Days - Laguna Seca, Sonoma Raceway, Thunderhill, Buttonwillow, and AutoClub Speedway in Ontario. The original engine dropped #4 exhaust valve going under the start finish bridge at Laguna Seca at 115mph and 'we' dropped 12 quarts of oil from there all the way to the gravel at T-2. Chevy picked up the tab for everything - from the cats all the way back to the throttle body - there were pieces of piston in all those places! Chevy's price tag was over $23k.
The Z06 is an excellent Track Day platform. I've totally enjoyed driving, learning and improving with that car. The engine is stock - if ya can't drive 500hp wide open everywhere then why do ya need 600hp? The suspension is Penske C and R adjustable remote reservoir shocks, Pfadt adjustable sway bars F & R, Pfadt urethane bushings thruout the suspension, LG ZR-1 front splitter, side skirts with ZR-1 full length rear spoiler. Brakes are awesome! StopTech rotors and racing calipers running Raybestos ST-47 racing pads, SS lines thru out. A MGW billet shifter box and shifter keep the gears organized and a TracMate data acquisition system keep me honest. Carvaggio seats and SaBelt 6 point harness with aluminum adjusters kept me and passengers in the seats. CCW wheels and Toyo 888's finished the package. I drove it to and from the Track Days.

I parked all that when it became time for safety sake to either put a full cage in it or park it. David Ray from Hooked On Driving kept suggesting that I get a Mustang and race with SCCA's SMG class. I got to drive a couple SMG Mustangs for 6 - 10 laps at Laguna and Thunderhill. Then a friend called and said that he knew where a 'cherry' 2008 FR500S Mustang was for sale. I jumped on it.

So now I have a momentum car, 310hp at the wheels 3,500 pounds, and I'm learning to drive all over again! It IS a challenge. I took the FR to Darrell Anderson's American V8 SuperCars shop at Sonoma Raceway and told him to do whatever it takes to freshen it up and bring the suspension and brakes up to standard. I can't say enough about those guys. They are super knowledgeable, very professional and their work is excellent. The car was originally owned by SpeedWorks R&D. It was raced by Ed Lever and then Scott Pruitt. It has a total of 3,625 miles on it. The engine remains stock. I have the data binder, the maintenance book, the 2008 Shop Manual lots of spares. American V8 Supercars tweeked a few things. To the 'stock' FR500S spec's which are significant .......

Here's what they did: Watts link - Lower Control Arms - Torque Arm - Front Control Arms with Howe ball joints - bump steer kit - one piece aluminum drive shaft - trans cooling scoop - Moroso racing oil pan - JLT oil separator - MGW shifter! - Jongbloed wheels - Hoosiers - Tiger Racing hood - exhaust turn downs (to pass sound at Laguna 90db!I) - AV8 solid motor mounts - wink mirror - SVO mufflers - new lug nuts - AND a pile of little things that make it all work together. Oh a Smarty Cam works in unison with the AIM data acquisition system to give me videos with essential data overlaid.

I've only been out in it 3 times before the winter set in. Watch out this year. My goal is seat time and a professional coach. My other goal is to surpass my Z06 lap times. My impressions are: it's Fun to drive, goes where you point it, is not rear end happy (the SMG cars I drove wanted to be driven with the rear end) is neutral in the corners and it stops good. I like the full cage around me and the 'race car' feel. It's gona be a great year! Comments and suggestions are always considered. See ya on track Cg

Cliff, welcome to TMO. Cliff and I met a few years ago at a HOD event and being an ex motorcycle racer myself we instantly hit it off. He saved my business card and recently looked me up after buying his Mustang. After several TMO members and I attended GT350 Track Attack and did the race cars on the second day I was ready to buy a race car. Cliff and I also know another guy, Charles, who has a FR500S. I've been on track with Charles a few times and really like how well these cars are setup from the factory. And if the motor ever blows a swap to a 5.0 is very easy. ;D

Anyway I'm sure a few of you will see Cliff at the NorCal tracks so stop by and introduce yourselves.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
FR500S-44 said:
So now I have a momentum car, 310hp at the wheels 3,500 pounds, and I'm learning to drive all over again! It IS a challenge.

Welcome! ^That's why I want to build a similar car built around the 3.7L V6. Work more on the driver instead of practicing throttle management. Maybe this year...

Been lurking here since I bought my '16 GT350 tech pack a little over a year ago. Many know me as SVTDSM from the 6g site from when I did the trans cooler install write up on my tech pack. Well, I've since traded in that car for a '17 350R, and of course became hooked on tracking. So, figured I'd join the Mustang site dedicated to track enthusiast's.

Here is my baby!
Ronda

1FD13157-8C90-48F4-AA7E-B0B0FE4425B6.jpg

And here's one from last October at NCM Motorsports Park with Chin Track days!

72B00B42-B0BB-4A6D-9780-86C134EA0C85.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Serpent Stang said:
Been lurking here since I bought my '16 GT350 tech pack a little over a year ago. Many know me as SVTDSM from the 6g site from when I did the trans cooler install write up on my tech pack. Well, I've since traded in that car for a '17 350R, and of course became hooked on tracking. So, figured I'd join the Mustang site dedicated to track enthusiast's.

Here is my baby!
Ronda

1FD13157-8C90-48F4-AA7E-B0B0FE4425B6.jpg

And here's one from last October at NCM Motorsports Park with Chin Track days!

72B00B42-B0BB-4A6D-9780-86C134EA0C85.jpg
Welcome, I love your R.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Serpent Stang said:
That's a great looking R, your other two triplets are here with @Moto and @Black Boss you see above. Welcome to TMO!

Please introduce yourself and tell us about your other cars and interest.
Hi, everyone.
My name is David, I ordered a 2012 Boss 302 #2083 in comp orange from Anderson ford in st Joseph Missouri, so far I have put 8500 miles on her. I have owned several great mustangs in my life a 99 Cobra a 70 grande an 87 lx turbo 4 a 2006 GT 2012 GT and a few others but none of them compared with my Boss, I will never sell this car. I would like to put some bolt ons but I don't want to loose my red key program, maybe some tuner would come up with a like program for us guys who might want to go back to the red key sometime. This is a great forum. If there's anyone from southwest Missouri or somewhere close let me know, I have only seen one other Boss down here.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Ronda:

Welcome to TMO and congrats on the purchase of your new Shelby GT350R. Looks great on the track leading the pack.
302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi David:

Glad to see another 2012 Boss 302 joined us. Congrats on your purchase and welcome to TMO. Look forward to reading about your ownership experiences.

302 Hi Pro

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Welcome , David , and give me a call , as you have a couple of tracks relatively close , and one super event in June of this year where you can get out and run that Boss for 3-4 days . Check out www.racepmph.com and the Mustang Roundup and though I now have a GT 350 on order, would be glad to give you some tips on your Boss 302 ( have owned two ). Be great to see you on track in Iowa, Kansas or Nebraska.

Sincerely,
Bill Pemberton
[email protected]
402-677-5864

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Thanks for the email David and I know you will enjoy the camaraderie , horsing around ( heh, we do essentially own Pony cars ) , and helpful hints this Forum provides -- in my estimation much more than most do , regardless of the vehicle/make they are promoting.

Stay in touch

TMO Supporting Vendors