The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Member Introductions - Introduce Yourself

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hi, Name is Burt, I have been a long time drag racer but for a few years now I have been wanting to try turning corners lol. End of last year I picked up my current Mustang 2014 Hertz Penske Gt number 21 of 150. Love this car and the way it handle. I'll be 35 this year and never been on a road course but looking forward to it this summer. Car has Ford handling pack with P springs, I put bmr lca, MM panhard bar, hotkis uca, 8.8 diff cover, welded axle tubes, F14 wheels 19x9.5 and 19x11 with MMSS 275/40-19 and 305/35-19 tires. For right now I also daily drive the car since I sold my truck a few months back and havent picked up another yet. So engine mods have only been Boss intake, araid mit, off road h pipe and magnaflow competition quads with Steeda tunes. I also just happen to work for Penske as a diesel tech. Really looking forward to learning a few things on here before my first track day. Especially since I have no idea even where to start this adventure but like I have told this young kid at work that has been working for me the past year who wants to drag race but he is nervous cause he has never been that we all at some point had to do something for the first time. I'm horrible at taking pics fyi lol The only real concern as far as car goes is heat on the trans. Heat is a killer of transmissions and while an auto is not idle its what what i got until I cant covert the car to a manual.2014 penskegt.jpgpenskegtengine.jpg2014penskegt1.jpg

Hi Burt, welcome to TMO. You've got a great looking Mustang and you have most of the basic mods covered. Add some DOT 4 brake fluid and then go get your first track day under your belt. Lots of experts around here that are more than willing to help so ask any questions you may have.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Welcome Burt! Sweet looking Mustang you got there.
I recently made the transition from Automatic Drag car to 6 speed road course car as well and it's been a blast.
Glad you found us and I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress. :)

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Gee , Burt , you've decided you want to go tackle a road course and you might have to begin the journey at Barber Motorsports Park !? In case you are not aware, one of the premier tracks in the entire country is right there in your State and is on most avid Track Rats bucket list. Get you butt out there hammering the asphalt , as I may need a place to crash when I finally get my heinie down to Bama to run Beaver , and I need you serious, so we can pass all those overpriced squashed VWs together!!

Congrats and welcome.

Gee , Burt , you've decided you want to go tackle a road course and you might have to begin the journey at Barber Motorsports Park !? In case you are not aware, one of the premier tracks in the entire country is right there in your State and is on most avid Track Rats bucket list. Get you butt out there hammering the asphalt , as I may need a place to crash when I finally get my heinie down to Bama to run Beaver , and I need you serious, so we can pass all those overpriced squashed VWs together!!

Congrats and welcome.

Thanks fellas, Yea me and a coworker was talking about Barber just the other day. To be honest I didn't realize it was so popular lol I am moving to Florida this summer so I will definitely have to check it out before I move. Their website is hard to navigate. So I was planning on calling and seeing what all I needed to do before showing up for my first open track day.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Hi Burt and welcome to TMO. You're now on the right forum to learn about road racing and track set up for your Mustang.

Along with keeping your AT cooled, same goes for your brakes. Take a look at some of the brake threads here to learn more, duct kits, pads, fluids, etc.

Have fun and keep us posted on your progress.
302 Hi Pro

Izzy Bonilla

Jacksonville Boss 302
Hello all my name is Izzy Im a proud owner of a white 302 and I live in Milwaukee. Since retiring from the USAF Ive had the pleasure of owning a Roush Stage 3 Mustang, a 440A Mustang and a Cobra. This is by far the best Mustang Ive owned and it may be my last!! Ive bought all the suggested performance suspension upgrades and now I need to find a good shop in or near Milwaukee that knows how to install them correctly. I can't wait to track the 302 and go out and Autocross on Sundays. This is a great source of info site and I look forward in meeting some of you.

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Welcome Izzy...Photos please!

Izzy Bonilla

Jacksonville Boss 302
Ok I think I got it right with the pictures. So I traded my 71 454 Chevelle for my 59 Cessna 172. Then I traded my 12 SHO for my Boss. I raced in the past when I had my 72 Alfa Romeo GT in historic races down in Daytona and Sebring. Also raced in Italy and at Monza. I want to get back to some light auto cross and some track days. In the future and when the budget is better I'll step up to some racing. However I learn a long time ago "If you're not ready to loose your car in a crash then don't race it" I've seen to many guys with new cars just cry when their $50 thousand BMW hits the wall!!

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Hi Izzy:

Nice find on your 2012 PW Boss 302, she looks great. Also welcome to the TMO Forum, you'll find this to be a great resource for all things Boss!

Please keep us updated on your mods and your Boss 302 ownership experience.
302 Hi Pro

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Hi everyone

New to the forum, as I am new to Mustang ownership :)
My username's Yotah1 (Youtube name also, makes it easier to find me :) ) but my real name's Anthony. I work for Ford, as a car designer. Got here in November 2015, and not planning to leave anytime soon! I was living in Europe before as I was born in France, grew up there, then lived and worked in Portugal, UK, Italy (Ducati), Germany (Opel/GM), Japan (Toyota) and just before moving here, France (PSA Citroen).

New to Mustang ownership but not new to fun stuff on wheels. I've been on racetracks for a few years now, mostly in Europe though.
I still have my track toy in Europe, dedicated to Nurburgring driving (I've lived close to it for a few years so I caught the "Green Hell" bug so to say...).

European track car : Renault Twingo RS (fwd, 950kg, 205hp with a Clio 3 RS engine and gearbox, macrolon windows, cage, buckets, harnesses, etc etc)

img_2110.jpg

I also took my motorbike on the Nurburgring for a few laps. I'll bring it stateside to track it occasionnally next year.

10153210.jpg

I had a BMW E30 as daily driver in France, which I'm also bringing here next year as it's past the 25 year rule for EPA approval :)

11357010.jpg

Since I arrived here, I'm restoring from top to bottom a 68 Plymouth Barracuda. I have at leats another year of work on this one to finish it, but here's how it looked when i got it last year.

12615610.jpg

And finally, my Mustang ownership : 2017 Shelby GT350 in Grabber Blue.

shelby16.jpg

Hi everyone

New to the forum, as I am new to Mustang ownership :)
My username's Yotah1 (Youtube name also, makes it easier to find me :) ) but my real name's Anthony. I work for Ford, as a car designer. Got here in November 2015, and not planning to leave anytime soon! I was living in Europe before as I was born in France, grew up there, then lived and worked in Portugal, UK, Italy (Ducati), Germany (Opel/GM), Japan (Toyota) and just before moving here, France (PSA Citroen).

New to Mustang ownership but not new to fun stuff on wheels. I've been on racetracks for a few years now, mostly in Europe though.
I still have my track toy in Europe, dedicated to Nurburgring driving (I've lived close to it for a few years so I caught the "Green Hell" bug so to say...).

European track car : Renault Twingo RS (fwd, 950kg, 205hp with a Clio 3 RS engine and gearbox, macrolon windows, cage, buckets, harnesses, etc etc)

img_2110.jpg

I also took my motorbike on the Nurburgring for a few laps. I'll bring it stateside to track it occasionnally next year.

10153210.jpg

I had a BMW E30 as daily driver in France, which I'm also bringing here next year as it's past the 25 year rule for EPA approval :)

11357010.jpg

Since I arrived here, I'm restoring from top to bottom a 68 Plymouth Barracuda. I have at leats another year of work on this one to finish it, but here's how it looked when i got it last year.

12615610.jpg

And finally, my Mustang ownership : 2017 Shelby GT350 in Grabber Blue.

shelby16.jpg

@yotah1 Welcome to TMO. There are a few of your coworkers here too. :) I like what's going on above and it looks like you've been out having fun. Can you tell us what you're working on at Ford?

I like the design of the shirt below, is it your design?

rsr-73-men-s-t-shirt.webp

302 Hi Pro

Southeast
Hi Anthony:

I like the way you roll! You'll find TMO is a great Forum for all things Shelby GT350. Welcome and look forward to reading more about your automotive adventures.

All the Best,
302 Hi Pro

yotah1

Ford Employee
Detroit
Yes @VoodooBoss I do a few designs for tshirts, just for fun. I actually also do artworks (paintings) but a lot of my friends started asking for a way to "wear" them, so the tshirts shop kicked off like this :)
The latest I've done is with my 68 Cuda project. The next one will be about the Shelby :)

Regarding work, I'm in the Lincoln Design Studio in PDC in Dearborn, doing exterior design.

I have a trackday scheduled in early April with the Shelby, and then 5-6 others during the season. I have to register for the Shelby Track Attack also, probably around September to go to the Reno Air Races on the same trip.

14079714_10210286428376778_637741933155934857_n.jpg Hello!

My name is Anthony and I'm from the south suburbs of Chicago, IL. I stumbled upon this forum the other day and am already a huge fan!

A little about myself. I'll be 32 in a week but I can't really tell you when I started loving cars. Probably born with it. I've had everything from some old Camaros when I was young (91 RS, 95 Z/28), to an early 80's RX7, a '77 LTD, I've had a Subaru... Pretty much everything. When Ford dropped the coyote engine into the game in 2011, I new I had to have one, but I couldn't afford it then. One day, as we all say. From that time until now, I've had a 2012 Mini Cooper S, a 2013 Focus ST, and when Ford dropped the S550, I knew it was time to start looking for an S197. In June of last year I picked up my 2014 GT Brembo package.

I had spent a lot of time looking for a Mustang. I knew what I wanted and knew what I was going to do with it, carve corners of course! I bought this car with less than 8,500 miles on the clock, one owner, with absolutely zero options other than being a Brembo car. This car doesn't even have bluetooth. Perfect.

What it does have, though, is what I feel to be some pretty poorly thought out modifications from it's first owner. It currently has a Koni STR.T spring/damper kit. It also seems to have every piece of BMR rear suspension kit available. Non adjustable LCAs, relocation brackets, adjustable UCA, adjustable panhard bar... All that poly... makes me want to puke. The thing rides really sharp in the rear, harsh. It's just not great. There's what I suspect to be a lot of suspension bind going on back there and it transmits an absolute ton of rear end noise to the cabin. So much so that I completely rebuilt the rear end with new bearings and seals and new gears earlier this year, thinking something certainly had to be bad back there. I say "I", but really I had my cousin do it, as he does drivelines for a living. After having the new rear gearset and bearings installed, the thing still makes identical noises. We've both checked and rechecked it and monitored it over a few thousand miles since then and it seems to be wearing perfectly normal, we have to chalk it up to horrible NVH transmissions from these crazy stiff parts back there.

But I digress! All I've done so far is have the car tuned by VMP, not so much because I wanted more power, but because I felt the throttle was really really touchy and I needed to get rid of that real quick. The only other parts I've installed are the Ford Performance air/oil separator, and a take-off engine oil cooler setup from a Boss. Current plans for the car are pretty extensive. I've got my eye on a Cortex Watts link/Torque Arm/LCA combination, as well as some Apex wheels in 18x10". I understand that these wheels will work perfectly for me in this cars dual duty of daily driver and weekend autoX warrior. I plan to run it 285 square, hopefully I won't have to modify much to get it all to fit. And most recently, thanks to you all, I've got this crazy idea of using S550 6 piston calipers with GT500 rotors.... Thanks guys... hahah

I also have my sights set on some power modifications, somewhere along the line. Realistically the thing makes plenty of power to get in trouble with and so as long as it's the daily driver it really doesn't need much more than it has.

Here she is parked next to my good friend's 1998 Cobra, which itself has pretty much the full Maximum Motorsports catalog installed on it.

Last edited:

TMO Supporting Vendors