The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My R build Thread

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got numerous threads here on ordering / waiting for / getting / initial impressions, etc.
This thread will chronicle building my '16 R into the Shelby I've always dreamed of owning.

I've got about 900 miles on the car and my first mod was the welcomed addition of the SRP (Sullivan Racing Products) pedals. I've got oil separators and hood struts on order, and am waiting to make a camber plate decision until I see what Vorshlag or Cortex come out with (otherwise, I'll use MM as I have in the past).

I'll track the car as close to stock as possible to develop a 'baseline'..but one thing I will not compromise on is safety equipment. I was up in Napa last week so I stopped in at Wine Country Motorsports to get a new helmet and HANS - partly to keep up with current regs and partly so I can hand down my old helmet / HANS to my son who'll be joining us at the Track Attack in early April.

I picked up a Stilo ST5 which feels great on my noggin and has all kinds of great features.

Here's a pic of my best driver-oriented mod...the SRP pedals:

UgdD296.jpg

And here's the beginning of my safety mods...a custom cage being built by TC Designs in Campbell, CA. Tony Colicchio is not only a racer / engineer / artist...he's a really good guy.

This is a shot of the cage before it went to the powder-coater. I'll post more pics when it's finished. I think it looks pretty darn bitchin' as-is.

KSeuOgZ.jpg

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
You're right he is an artist!

What color will go with for the power coating for the roll cage?

302 Hi Pro

302 Hi Pro said:
You're right he is an artist!

What color will go with for the power coating for the roll cage?

302 Hi Pro

I'm doing a matt black 'crinkle' finish. low-key and utilitarian looking, easy to keep looking nice.

krt22 said:
Very nice, I figured that was your car on their FB page.

Is it welded in?

I'm on Facebook?! sweet! ;-)

the feet are welded in to allow them to be placed where we wanted them (both where they attach and the resultant angles of the bars) and then the cage is bolted to them the feet to allow for eventual removal / reuse / resale of the cage itself.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
50Deep said:
That's what I'm talking about. I think I speak for the majority when I say you can pic whore your car all you want!

Agreed.

crummy pics...apologies...but I ran (literally, I ran there...about 4 miles to pick up the car...I'm not a big runner...I usually only run 'from' stuff) and then jetted home, quick shower, and then the the office for an conf call I had to be on (and I'm still on as I pen this post ;-)

Before I get to the new mods, I gotta say what a huge frickin' thrill it is to drive the R again. I took the Boss on a nice drive yesterday late afternoon over hwy 17 to Santa Cruz to do a mtn bike ride. I pull the wheels on my full susp 29er and get everything in the trunk of the Boss, frame passes through with the rear seats down and wheels go in on top with a wheel bag...which you've got to love...I usually get a lot looks / comments in parking lots full of mtb bikers when pull up in the Boss and start unloading the bike.

Since I just got to the office, the pics I got where in the underground parking lot so the lighting sucks. I'll get some more pics, in better light, later.

But here's the bottom line, Tony (at TC Design) finished 1 1/2 days early, a couple hundred dollars under his estimate, and built something that looks incredibly good. At this point, I couldn't recommend the guy any more highly. He and his brother also took the time to make sure my harness was set up properly (4 point Schroth ASM) and we went over the initial look at the alignment. The car, from the factory, had pretty bad toe front and rear, as it turns out. The front was toed out to much and the rear toed in too much. Even a short street drive after picking it up reveals modest, but noticeable, improvement in the car's feel. The rollbar also seems to have added significant rigidity to the rear of the car. So much so that with the dampers in 'normal' you almost feel a pronounced difference between the front and rear of the car.

I'm going to look at having a local upholstery shop do a re-install of the block-out panel...though I'm not sure I need it reinstalled, at this point.

pics:

u7bJ1WM.jpg
VfTErq3.jpg
oRUIlYb.jpg
S7fJYj7.jpg
7OomzVK.jpg
lcfDVSk.jpg
2fBPeQE.jpg
7PrRSj3.jpg

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Interesting screw location comparison on the SRP. I went the way I did because of existing holes already drilled from my old Roush Race Pedals.

Mine:
2012%20Boss%20302%20Mustang%201087_zpso9lv3gmy.jpg
fuhrius:
UgdD296.jpg

TymeSlayer said:
Interesting screw location comparison on the SRP. I went the way I did because of existing holes already drilled from my old Roush Race Pedals.

Mine:
fuhrius:
UgdD296.jpg

I would have liked to get a bolt in the top row on the brake pedal but I couldn't get a good angle to drill...the clutch was easier because I pushed it to the floor with one had and drilled my hole with the other...couldn't get the brake pedal to travel enough to get clearance.

TymeSlayer said:

Mine:
fuhrius:
UgdD296.jpg

I removed the pedal box and put them in my Bridgeport mill and drilled and tapped the pedals. I didn't like the bolt and nut set up. I also re-arched them to fit the arch of the factory pedals better. I only installed one screw in the middle to hold the SRP pedal in place. Since the pedals are arched the one center screw holds it in place tight and without the pedal rotating. I also drilled and tapped the gas pedal. I wish I could figure out how to post pictures on photobucket and post them on here. Also funny, we all have the same SRP pedals in black and texture.
Scott

pics with better lighting. What's amazing is how tightly it fits.

i1Seoic.jpg
QcRWqBE.jpg
G2Iu0fp.jpg

a couple sweet 'overview' shots:

0dUHBu9.jpg
IAutO7T.jpg
wkb8XQZ.jpg

I got this one at an angle where you can't the 'X' behind the 'X'

C2b3nKZ.jpg

connection points:

tSOPwz8.jpg
OF9aC1g.jpg