The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

My TracKey Experience

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jec246

BossJockey said:
jec246 said:
I thought it would sound more like this. :-\

I think it is an engine RPM thing. All the resent videos I've seen, the car is idling around 800 RPM on the tack. I think it needs to idle around 600 - 650 rpm to get the good lopey sound.

I read in another post (below) that their car is getting louder the more they use it with TracKey? Anyone else experiencing this?

lanore said:
I got my new Boss about 3 wks. ago. Now have 1300 miles. Installed Trac Key Nov. 2, 2011. At first didn't notice much difference with idle or perf. But next few days it seems to be self learning new software, and is really pulling harder and harder. The idle seems to be getting more and more loppy. I can even feel the car shaking at idle. It's a blast to drive, but I don't know how long these soft tires will last. Even more fun with traction control off. I've been putting in 93 octane, plus Lucas oil's 3x octane boost. I notice more power with the octane treatment. As per the instructions that came with the Trac Key, the loppy idle does't happen till the motor gets to 170 degrees (straight up on the temp. gauge). And it wo'nt let you idle it up over 2000 rpm until that temp. is reached. When that temp. is reached you hear a ding and there's a note on the screen that says loppy idle now on.

jec246

jec246 said:
BossJockey said:
jec246 said:

I think it is an engine RPM thing. All the resent videos I've seen, the car is idling around 800 RPM on the tack. I think it needs to idle around 600 - 650 rpm to get the good lopey sound.

I read in another post (below) that their car is getting louder the more they use it with TracKey? Anyone else experiencing this?

lanore said:
I got my new Boss about 3 wks. ago. Now have 1300 miles. Installed Trac Key Nov. 2, 2011. At first didn't notice much difference with idle or perf. But next few days it seems to be self learning new software, and is really pulling harder and harder. The idle seems to be getting more and more loppy. I can even feel the car shaking at idle. It's a blast to drive, but I don't know how long these soft tires will last. Even more fun with traction control off. I've been putting in 93 octane, plus Lucas oil's 3x octane boost. I notice more power with the octane treatment. As per the instructions that came with the Trac Key, the loppy idle does't happen till the motor gets to 170 degrees (straight up on the temp. gauge). And it wo'nt let you idle it up over 2000 rpm until that temp. is reached. When that temp. is reached you hear a ding and there's a note on the screen that says loppy idle now on.

Apparently this topic is being discussed here. :p

https://trackmustangsonline.com/boss-302-technical-forum/trackey-is-here!-those-that-are-installing-please-post!/60/

Came back in from an extended drive - it is so much fun to drive. If anyone is on the fence on whether or not to buy it, BUY IT !

Just got mine installed yesterday. I definitely can tell the difference. The Idle isn't as lopey as I hoped but it is still better than before. Also, the engine braking is much more noticeable.
Worth the wait!!!

With a stock undrilled grille, outside temp mid 60's, highest engine temp 202. Idle speed 750. The sound of the overrun is intoxicating. 8)

jec246 said:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K5p8WQj9apw[/youtube]
Had Trackey installed today
Mine runs like that for about 5 seconds when I turn my headlights on. than it smooths out almost to normal without the Trackey

I also talked about this in the Those that are installing ... Post

Just what I needed - another excuse to run the car ! 8)

Was it after you drove it for awhile, or just after the 170F / 130 sec time frame? Also with the door open?

Are your discs in or out?

yes to all. when I got home from the dealer left the car running so I could walk around it and check out the sound that's when I noticed it. My discs are removed as well.

I called the Ford racing tech line and explained the situation to him and he said that any bit of load will effect the idle ie the a/c radio rear defroster etc.

He also when on to say ,that he heard today that Ford had to tweak the program so it would get certification.

After three trips to the service dept. and persistence on the phone telling them I knew all the parameters that had to be met blablablabla, Was told today by ford performance parts engineer email that the programming in the video posted by Ford was a prototype car and our trackey programming is different and won't sound the same. Would have been nice to know ahead of time so people could have made their minds up whether worth the money and loss of warranty. Definately false advertising in my opinion to leave that video and sound bite up if its not accurate. I doubt mine will see a track, so the idle was the key for me literally. Really disappointed.

The car that Dave Pericak ( Mustang Chief Engineer ) started up for me at Woodward in August had the nice Lopey idle

He started it to demonstrate to me and others what it will sound like.

Boss1309 said:
The car that Dave Pericak ( Mustang Chief Engineer ) started up for me at Woodward in August had the nice Lopey idle

He started it to demonstrate to me and others what it will sound like.

After starting the car, (assuming it was already above 170F) did he have to wait 130secs for the idle to change? If not, then he definitely had a different TK tune.

He turned on Lopey idle through a laptop computer, he did wait awhile,revved it up and away she went.At that time Mid August I am sure that's the way it was to have been executed.

He seemed genuinely proud of that feature. He was the one to ask me if I wanted to hear what it sound like.

*moving this from another thread

I just went out running some errands (rebuilding a 90 year old toilet ) in the Boss enjoying these "bonus" days up here in the great white North. I'm sure 55 degrees and sunny doesn't sound that great to some of you, but for mid-November it's quite balmy I ran both keys alternately and no offense, but if you can't tell a difference between the two, I think you need your butt dyno recalibrated When driving TK I feel so much more connected to the car. The throttle response is much more linear, it almost feels like it's directly connected to your foot if that makes sense. Driving with the black key feels much more like driving any old street car. It's very smooth and comfortable, but almost feels like there's a slight lag between accelearator input and throttle response. I know I'm going to prefer TK on the track as you just get so much more direct feedback from the engine. I will be interested in more track reviews as you guys get more seat time with TK.

I just went out and drove with TK again, and after warming up, noticed sitting at a light that the car was just shaking...just like the TA cars at MMP. It's much more noticeable once the car is warmed up and the exhaust note is definitely deeper with TK. The more I drive it, the more I love TK. ;D

I'm just so frustrated that I won't get to use it on track for another 4 months!

Your car was shaking because it so cold out!

cloud9 said:
I just went out and drove with TK again, and after warming up, noticed sitting at a light that the car was just shaking...just like the TA cars at MMP. It's much more noticeable once the car is warmed up and the exhaust note is definitely deeper with TK. The more I drive it, the more I love TK. ;D

I'm just so frustrated that I won't get to use it on track for another 4 months!

Yep..........the car does not like the cold..............lololololololol

On a more somber note I may not get to use TK on the track either....long story, but I am pretty bummed. I have to sit here and listen to all these people biznitch about something they are using NOT for it's intended use......

TMO Supporting Vendors