The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

new clutch help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just installed a Mcleod clutch,how do I bleed all the air out? I topped off the reservoir with some dot 3 then pumped it about 100 times,pedal was so light I pulled out the assist spring,do I need to pump more with the cap off,is there a bleeder valve somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.....Ron

That twin disc clutch is a lot lighter than stock. Is the clutch not disengaging?

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
chefron50 said:
Just installed a Mcleod clutch,how do I bleed all the air out? I topped off the reservoir with some dot 3 then pumped it about 100 times,pedal was so light I pulled out the assist spring,do I need to pump more with the cap off,is there a bleeder valve somewhere? Any help would be appreciated.....Ron

Ron

If the pedal feels good and the clutch is working properly, you are done.

No bleeder valve in clutch system.

You can apply vacuum to the reservoir if you are having issues with removing air from the system, but no bleeders.

How does the clutch feel?

The clutch feels so light I had to remove the assist spring,pumped about 100 times,pedal comes fully up now,getting alittle chatter but I understand break in for 500 miles,just making sure all air is out. The only problem we had was putting the tranny back on,what a fight it was lining up the dowel pins,but we won.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
A mighty vac pump from autozone. I hold it on vacuum for about 30 mins. Makes it smooth as butter. And I took out the spring. Makes the pedal feel smoother

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
F.D. Sako said:
Please excuse my ignorance, but where do you guys connect the vacuum pump, since there is no in-line bleeder valve on our clutch lines.

To the top of the fluid reservoir. Several threads addressing store bought and home made solutions.

I bought an adapted from Motive.

Be cautious when applying vacuum to the master cylinder reservoir. Pump the brakes after to ensure the caliper pistons are against the pads. The vacuum may also retract the brakes. That could be bad if it surprised you. Don't ask me how I know. LOL. No damage.. nothing near the car.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel