The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Re: Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

yankeehick said:
Thanks Dave! I'm going to ask them what they know. The only thing is I've already told them to swap out the pulleys. It's good for thought in the future if I'm ever going to up the boost. If I do I might as well switch to e85. Which reminds me....I have to find out how many gas stations sell it here in the Atl.

my thought is close to the highways like I95, there may be some E85 stations. We don't seem to have many around Broward and Palm Bch FL that I know of.

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
Re: Operation BEAST MODE is in full effect - supercharger install with pics/vids.

KonaBlue302 said:
my thought is close to the highways like I95, there may be some E85 stations. We don't seem to have many around Broward and Palm Bch FL that I know of.
E85 on the east coast is hard to find. Whats even harder to find is a working up to date E85 station finder. Here in the mid west they are much easier to come by.

get that thing finished yet?

tlflow said:
get that thing finished yet?

Was supposed to pic her up today but the main dyno operator has been out sick all week. I was told by the shop without a doubt will be picking her up Monday to finish the data logging and tune with team Lund. Don't worry, I'll have plenty of pics and will get my hands on the new dyno video hopefully with the power / torque graphs. Trust me, I've been waiting patiently like a kid at Christmas.

On a side note if anyone can tell me what I'm about to experience in their own words feel free to let me know. I'm assuming it's going to be 2013 Shelby GT 500-esque.

I know of a few guys running the alky on turbos but wouldn't it be detrimental to blow that stuff through a supercharger? Seems alky is mighty corrosive.

blacksheep-1 said:
I know of a few guys running the alky on turbos but wouldn't it be detrimental to blow that stuff through a supercharger? Seems alky is mighty corrosive.
Its introduced thru the intake right before the throttle body. Some superchargers sit on top of the engine(like the cobra-roots type and BDS, Weiand or B&M) and some like Paxton or vortech(centrifugal) are in front of the engine just like the op(yankeehick) is getting. The alky is a mist and its evaporated as it enters the combustion chamber. I know its not an issue with the centrifugal superchargers since its introduced after the supercharger opposed to the roots type that it enters before the supercharger forces the air thru the engine. I cant imagine it being an issue with the roots type either but I could see where one might be concerned with the roots type though....possible corroding the inside and blades. Someone way more qualified than me I'm sure can answer that. But I still think it would be a viable solution for detonation that the higher boost pulley creates with the centrifugal type supercharger.

Dave

tlflow said:

Sorry guys....here's my latest update. More to come. I hope it's OK that I'm using this thread to vent a little.

I've learned a lot of lessons throughout this process and as a result, am over budget by apx $1500 [that's after spending $6k on the kit and $3100 for labor costs with the so called "professionals" at MTI Racing. The only feeling I can relate this to is opening up a brand new sealed bag of potato chips only to find air. It's just a little different for me bc I just spent $9100.

I thought this was going to be a fun and educational experience. One that I would be updated on, informed of and treated with respect along the way and not lied to. I don't even know where to start, but I'll say that my first mistake was taking my car to a Chevy racing shop to begin with. I thought they were competent enough to install a simple kit, gauges etc (as they told me they have tuned and intalled s/c on other mustangs) without any bumps along the way. Oh was I wrong. They had my car for three weeks! There were some minor setbacks due to the new pulley I had to order midway and a new SCT Tuner but if you combine those two issues that should only extend the project a maximum of three days.

I can't even put into words how frustrating it was working with MTI's staff and "tooner". Communication was a 1 out of 10. My car sat on the dyno for an entire week because their only certified tuner was "out sick." The shop's manager informed me it was back spasms. He told Jon Lund it was the flu. At this point I knew I was being toyed with and it all went south from there. Not to mention that I found out a week later after delivering my car that they have never used SCT software to tune a mustang which was not what I was told in the beginning. I was told they could easily handle it - which was also after they tried selling me a magnuson 10 times!

Team Lund was on the tune (who I feel horrible for and have been nothing but amazing to work with throughout this entire ordeal) and tried coordinating with the shop countless times waiting days for emails to come back on simple datalogging files that never showed. I full WOT dyno was never acheieved and I was promised on two occasions my car should be ready to pick up. Here's where it gets good.

I've read countless blogs, forums and had a number of conversations with Lund, and Terry "Beefcake" Reeves about this kit and what kind of boost and power it's supposed to make. I've had more convos with them the past two weeks than my own mother. One would expect somewhere around 8.5-10 psi with apx 600 rwhp using the pulley I have on a bone stock Boss engine. When I saw the power/torque graphs only showing 490 rwp and 6.5 psi I became concerned. Surely they would correct this issue and find something wrong with the install. Team Lund and Beefcake started putting their heads together thinking of the culprit. Maybe a loose tensioner, blow off valvue, pinched vacuum line or maybe - just maybe I didn't get the correct pulley. After two more days of MTI dragging their feet, I told them I was picking up my car regardless and was giving them an entire day to fix this issue. I am certainly not happy with only a 100 rwph increase after spending $9K. Who would even purchase a vortech kit knowing they would only acheive 100 hp???

MTI was steadfast in standing their ground in saying that the install was done correctly after they said they went through a checklist of possible culprits. Then they tell me they can fix it but need more time. I was not about to spend more money with these clowns. When I showed up to the shop to pick up my car (Last Friday) I had another great piece of news that was never mentioned to me - NOT EVER - my power steering was gone. They said they have no idea why and blamed it on Jon Lund's tune. Seriously??? Are you for real??? Any chance this shop had they pointed the finger at Lund several times. I couldn't believe it. In sum, I tried to talk to them about getting a discount on the install or the dyno pulls. Nothing. I couldn't fight it and they even wanted to charge me an additional $2000 in dyno time the car was sitting there while their "tooner" was "sick."

I went directly to Injected Engineering (which is where I should have gone to begin with but was quoted higher on the labor which turned me off) In reality they quoted me wrong and it would have cost me about the same. Biggest mistake on my part. My car is getting looked over as we speak to see why the hp and psi is not being made. Injected Engineering has handled this situation properly and I can't say enough about their customer service and communication is spot on. I'm looking forward to getting my ride back either today or tomorrow the latest. They are supposed to be taking a video of the final WOT pull so hopefully all goes well and I can at leat post that here. I'll take a few pics of the install as well. What a month it has been. I just want my car back.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Yikes what a disaster.

Regarding your power steering, a tune will not affect that at all.
I'll bet one of the install monkeys at MTI killed the 100amp mega-breaker that's attached to the battery positive terminal. I did the same thing when changing my spark plugs and felt too lazy to undo the negative battery cable. Shorted a socket to the positive terminal and blew the breaker. Car would start and run but power steering was gone. Replaced the breaker block and all was right again.

Lift up the red cover on the positive terminal of the battery and look down the side--there will be a plastic assembly bolted to it with two big fuses. Check to see if one of them is toast.

Replacement part is about $13 from Ford; here is a pic and PN:
Dc44QHb.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!

Man that is horrible. I went through headaches like that with my cobra and know how much it sucks. I hope the new shop does you right

ArizonaGT said:
Yikes what a disaster.

Regarding your power steering, a tune will not affect that at all.
I'll bet one of the install monkeys at MTI killed the 100amp mega-breaker that's attached to the battery positive terminal. I did the same thing when changing my spark plugs and felt too lazy to undo the negative battery cable. Shorted a socket to the positive terminal and blew the breaker. Car would start and run but power steering was gone. Replaced the breaker block and all was right again.

Lift up the red cover on the positive terminal of the battery and look down the side--there will be a plastic assembly bolted to it with two big fuses. Check to see if one of them is toast.

Replacement part is about $13 from Ford; here is a pic and PN:

DING, DING, DING!! You are correct sir. I was just notified that it was that exact fuse that blew. Oh and are you ready to hear about why they think I'm short 3psi and 100hp?? One of the fastener clamps that's supposed to tighten at the end of the tube was not at the end. It was pushed back a few inches so there was no seal allowing all the air pressure to leak out. WTF??? MTI was just too lazy to take things apart. And they claimed to go over everything. CLOWNS!!! Btw....I forgot to mention this but they said it actually took them 20 hours to install the kit. I was charged for 14 of them when the vortech manufacturer says 10-12.

I want to take this opportunity to shout out to Team Lund. Jon Lund Jr and Jon Lund Sr, Ken Bjonnes and Terry "Beefcake" Reeves for the most outstanding customer service I've experienced in a long time. They took my late night calls/ texts answered every question, cried and laughed with me throughout this process only to see the light at the end of the tunnel.

To MTI Racing: You did a piss poor job, didn't take responsibily for your sub-par installation and made me pay through the nose for it. I have no idea how you're in business. I will make sure to tell every single person I come in contact with at all the Atlanta car shows, races, meet-ups etc...how you ripped me off - and I go to a lot of those events. To the Mustang, Chevy, GM owner who wants quality work done in Atlanta, go see the guys at Injected Engineering in Kennesaw, GA. Quality guys and quality work. They are the gurus, the GODS and the ones I will say worked on my ride.

Special thanks to Aric, Steve, Ryan at Injected Engineering!

I finally get my car back tomorrow and will update everyone soon.

Fomoco302

Life is short. Live well!

Hopefully you have everything documented - e mails, phone calls, any paper trail. As much as I hate lawyers this may be your best recourse to get these idiots attention. Some sort of monetary compensation for this ordeal seems possible. If I spent $9000+ to be treated this way I would probably need a lawyer to get me out of jail. Keep after these bozo's until you get some satisfaction !

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

yankeehick said:
DING, DING, DING!! You are correct sir. I was just notified that it was that exact fuse that blew.
tumblr_mpcrsy3KnT1swb8m1o1_500.gif

yankeehick said:
Oh and are you ready to hear about why they think I'm short 3psi and 100hp?? One of the fastener clamps that's supposed to tighten at the end of the tube was not at the end. It was pushed back a few inches so there was no seal allowing all the air pressure to leak out.
What a bunch of idiots. It's not like you wouldn't hear that boost leak either.

Fomoco302 said:
Hopefully you have everything documented - e mails, phone calls, any paper trail. As much as I hate lawyers this may be your best recourse to get these idiots attention. Some sort of monetary compensation for this ordeal seems possible. If I spent $9000+ to be treated this way I would probably need a lawyer to get me out of jail. Keep after these bozo's until you get some satisfaction !

Already a step ahead of you. I'm having Injected Engineering document everything and will certainly be calling a lawyer soon after I get everything back.

The last update was that the hot side tube blew off. They are going back at it in the morning and are probably going to have to take some more components apart to assure things are assembled correctly.

Oh, the reason I never saw that last WOT dyno pull from MTI was because they couldn't dyno if they wanted to. Injected told me that the car wouldn't go above 13 mph on the dyno with the power steering fuse blown. Popped in the new one and all was good. Another lie that MTI told me. No wonder they didn't want to give my car back to me when I showed up and held that information from me until I arrived.

Well your experience wasn't a fun one, but in the end, I bet you learned a ton of information and also educated a lot of us by sharing your experiences. Thanks for biting the bullet for us. Good news is we appreciate you sharing and you'll have a sweet ride back in a day or so. It will be worth it in the end. The lawyers should recoup some of your lost money and some for the aggravation too! Good luck to you. Can't wait to see the final results too.

Chris

Noellenchris said:
Well your experience wasn't a fun one, but in the end, I bet you learned a ton of information and also educated a lot of us by sharing your experiences. Thanks for biting the bullet for us. Good news is we appreciate you sharing and you'll have a sweet ride back in a day or so. It will be worth it in the end. The lawyers should recoup some of your lost money and some for the aggravation too! Good luck to you. Can't wait to see the final results too.

Chris

^^^^ X2^^^^^

May want to make sure that your heads have not been swapped out for coyote heads, shops like that are full of thieves.

sorry to hear about this, sure that you will get it squared up.

good luck

I just read this thread for the first time, and I can't believe how many disrespectful people are out there... that are running a business. Its frustrating that people like that can sometimes get away with it in the car business. I'm glad to hear that you're not giving up on your fight against them.

I really hope everything works out for you, and this all becomes another story and learning experience.

I appreciate all of the support guys.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel