The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

P030X Random Misfire & Limp Mode Questionaire and Discussion Thread

What solution was administered to address your P0300/Limp Mode Issues

• Cam Sensor(s) replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Wiring Harness replaced

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
Re: P0300 & Limp Mode Questionaire

KBBOSS1086 said:
Pete - The service report from my last visit to the dealers in August (before I gave up trying to get it fixed) states that they inspected the coils and boots and did the misfire re-learn. I've suggested to a couple of the dealers that the problem could be in the wiring harness and/or CPS but they only ever do what the "hotline" tells them to do.

The misfires don't occur that often on the street...maybe 4 or 5 times in 13k miles. I'm going to keep my fingers corssed that this new program works and if not, take up my battle again in the spring.

Thanks for the suggestions and all the info. And congrats on the Pagid distributorship. I've been using Carbrotech xp12"s / 10's but will likely be contacting you in the spring to give the Pagids a try.

If they checked it then your harness is probably fine. The tests that they ran on my car supposedly pointed to to the harness as an issue and FRPP told them to swap it out. One thing that you can check is if you pull up the connectors to the camshaft sensors and look in with a light and a magnifying glass - look for little flakes of gold. If you see any then they have work to do on your harness. This check was told to me directly by a Ford Boss design team member. And this is why 2013's have different connectors....

On the pads, I'd love to have you try a set out. Carbo's are good pads - outside of Pagid they are the only other ones I'd use. I have used both (on my Audi TTS) and decided on Pagid long before I started selling them.

Thanks Pete - I will definitely have to check that out.

I came across the info below on the upgrades done to the wiring harness and connectors on the 302S. I'm wondering if the upgraded connectors would fit our cars?

Engine Wiring harness This harness is a production 5.0L Boss harness that is modified by Precision Race Services (PRS). The four camshaft
VCT phasers (cam covers, front of engine), 4 camshaft position sensors (cylinder head, rear of engine) and the
crankshaft position sensor (RH rear of engine) connection are modified by Precision Race Services.
Please contact PRS for spares or service parts:
Precision Race Services
16749 Dixie Highway Suite 9
Davisburg, MI 48350
(248) 634-4010 office
(248) 634-4014 fax

PeteInCT

Connecticut

KBBOSS1086 said:
Thanks Pete - I will definitely have to check that out.

I came across the info below on the upgrades done to the wiring harness and connectors on the 302S. I'm wondering if the upgraded connectors would fit our cars?

Engine Wiring harness This harness is a production 5.0L Boss harness that is modified by Precision Race Services (PRS). The four camshaft
VCT phasers (cam covers, front of engine), 4 camshaft position sensors (cylinder head, rear of engine) and the
crankshaft position sensor (RH rear of engine) connection are modified by Precision Race Services.
Please contact PRS for spares or service parts:
Precision Race Services
16749 Dixie Highway Suite 9
Davisburg, MI 48350
(248) 634-4010 office
(248) 634-4014 fax

Interesting that this reads specifically for the 302S. My understanding from the Ford Development team is that the connectors for the crank and camshaft sensors were redesigned for the 2013 Boss 302, my guess is this is probably the same design being used in the '13 302S/R also. Also, my understanding is that the two harness designs are NOT compatible. I believe this to be true because when Ford replaced my wiring harness I asked them to use a '13 version of the harness and they said they could not because the connecters were incompatible with each other and they would have to also replace all 5 sensors themselves also, which was not covered under warranty.

The info was taken from the link below. It seems to indicate that the info is specifically for the 2012 302S. I'm wondering if it's possible to get a modified harness from Percision Race Services along with the upgraded connectors and fit them to our 2012's. Everything seems to indicate that the motor is exactly the same so I imagine that it would work. If the new baseline program coming out does not correct the ontrack misfires then it's at least worth a call. It won't be covered by warranty and will likely cost a good penny and a lot of time to replace, but that might be what it takes to get a worry free, trackable standard 2012 302...

http://www.fordracingparts.com/Download/BOSS302SPDFs/Boss%20302S%20owners%20manual%20version%20AV4.pdf

No update but it should have been released for the 2013 by now.

PeteInCT

Connecticut
Re: CEL - "random misfire" (recurring)

This Just In from NFSBOSS: This TSB is for all 2013 5.0 engines including the Boss. The 2012's should be out any day.

TSB12-12-8_zps606c79a3.jpg

Gary - Pete posted the fix from Ford for the 2013 in the other thread on this topic if you didn't see it. Sounds like the fix for our cars will be out any day.

Question about your tune - you have TK, right? Will your new tune delete your TK program? If not, I'd like to know more about it. I thought all aftermarket tunes cancelled the TK program...I don't want to lose the lope at idle and the engine braking and haven't seen that anyone has come out with one the replicates (or improves on) them while improving performance. Thanks

PeteInCT

Connecticut

I should have posted it here also. This TSB is for all 2013 5.0 engines including the Boss. Rick found it on SVT. The 2012's should be out any day.

KBBOSS1085 - As for your question, all aftermarket tunes do cancel TK as far as I am aware, if they didn't it would mean someone was able to reverse engineer the entire TK tune and have the ability to adjust portions of it which I don't believe is feasible. Any existence of lopey idle or engine braking would have to be built into the new tune, and I'm not sure if I've personally seen reports of any aftermarket tuner being able to do that yet, although I know they are working on it.

TSB12-12-8_zps606c79a3.jpg

KBBOSS1086 said:
Gary - Pete posted the fix from Ford for the 2013 in the other thread on this topic if you didn't see it. Sounds like the fix for our cars will be out any day.

Question about your tune - you have TK, right? Will your new tune delete your TK program? If not, I'd like to know more about it. I thought all aftermarket tunes cancelled the TK program...I don't want to lose the lope at idle and the engine braking and haven't seen that anyone has come out with one the replicates (or improves on) them while improving performance. Thanks
I'll have the answer in a few weeks.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

OK I finally experienced a P30x yesterday at the track, I didn't realize the car was in limp mode, the way the power cut so abruptly I thought one of the cats collapsed. I read the code w/ my scanner and breathed a sigh of relief (somewhat) when I remembered this thread and that this was relatively common. This is the first misfire code I've seen ever in 15K miles on the street and track.

Car ran fine the rest of the day and I will be watching again today...

I checked with my dealer last week and it's still showing nothing available for our cars.

Drew, were you hitting the rev limiter by chance? I run out of 4th gear for just a few seconds at MPH but not worth going into 5th then back to 4th in Turn 3 so I just bang the limiter for a couple seconds. I noticed I was getting the code or limp mode the last time down there in the fall and tried some laps just holding 7500 and not hiting the limiter. It seemed to help.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA

Negative on the rev limiter, managed to stay off of it all weekend.

Car now has a CEL for P300 Random Misfire lit; car ran really hard all weekend however, definitely not pulling any power or timing.

Based on the experience of those in this thread, is there anything that will remedy this yet? Should I take it to the dealer or just clear the codes and move on?

PeteInCT

Connecticut

+1. Get it documented asap and get them of the mindset that the TSB is for your issue. if they're like most dealers they won't have a clue what you're talking about it first.

NFSBOSS said:
My understanding is the TSB will be for cars throwing codes and will not be an upgrade for all cars. So I'd take it to your dealer and get it documented so when the TSB is released you'll get the update.
Depends on your dealer. Mine knows I've been having the issue so when the TSB finally comes out they'll perform the TSB for me without any codes present. If your dealer is easy to work with you shouldn't need to take it in until the new calibration is available. If you don't have a working relationship with your dealer, what Rick said makes good sense.

TMO Supporting Vendors