The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Probably selling my Boss

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

So I recently bought an old Miata to putt around in and save mileage on the Boss and it has reminded me how much fun lightweight cars are in general, not just on track. The one complaint I have had about my car is weight. As fun as it is, it just feels too heavy. So I am pretty sure I'm ditching the car for something lighter and more fun.

I'm curious if others have sold the Boss and moved into something more nimble. What did you buy? I'm looking toward a Porsche Cayman myself, but curious about what others have done or have similar feelings.

The Cayman is a much more refined car than the Boss but at 25k more expensive it should be. I have both and like them both for different reasons but there is clearly a difference between the two.

I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I got to drive a 2003 WRX on a very twisty road. It was set up for street/AutoX duty and it reminded me how much I miss my old Mitsubishi Evos. They weren't much, if any lighter, than the Boss but they felt like they weighed half as much and you could fling them down curvy roads at speeds that would have a Boss tying itself in knots and/or crashing.

Now in saying that, I could not bring myself to part with my Boss. It is the most fun car I have ever driven and has only gotten better with all of the stuff I have done to the suspension (KWs, UCAs, LCAs, relos, etc etc etc).

I've driven a lot of Porsches over the years, including a 997 Turbo, and they are wonderful cars but they just don't light my fire so to speak. A little too refined and perfect. I am a bit of a loon, though.

Champale said:
I had a similar experience a couple of weeks ago when I got to drive a 2003 WRX on a very twisty road. It was set up for street/AutoX duty and it reminded me how much I miss my old Mitsubishi Evos. They weren't much, if any lighter, than the Boss but they felt like they weighed half as much and you could fling them down curvy roads at speeds that would have a Boss tying itself in knots and/or crashing.

Now in saying that, I could not bring myself to part with my Boss. It is the most fun car I have ever driven and has only gotten better with all of the stuff I have done to the suspension (KWs, UCAs, LCAs, relos, etc etc etc).

I've driven a lot of Porsches over the years, including a 997 Turbo, and they are wonderful cars but they just don't light my fire so to speak. A little too refined and perfect. I am a bit of a loon, though.

I'm also coming from a WRX. A 2002 with the 2.0 liter 227 HP motor. It was a blast but had serious weaknesses in the top end. It was toss able, but had inferior brakes. The BOSS does a lot of things right. However, whe it comes time to replace my newly bought winter beater (2002 accord) a new to slightly used WRX is on the top of my list.

I'm a big Porsche fan and love the looks of the new Cayman 981. The previous generation not so much. I haven't driven one but I'm sure it's a highly refined awesome sports car and it's on my radar. With that said the Boss still brings a BIG smile to my face every time I fire it up so no need to replace it yet. The value proposition of the Boss is hard to beat and it's even better passing Porsche's on track. 8)

I haven't considered selling the Boss, but I am strongly considering getting the ecoboost 4 mustang to add to the stable. I would think with the IRS and the lighter weight it would be fun to drive, plus I'm sure there is going to be a ton of aftermarket options available for the car.

I have considered selling my Boss due to the rapid rate of going through consumable items when used for the HPDE and this is entirely due to her heavy weight, but every time I hit the track and see myself absolutely harassing and passing Porsches, M3s, Miatas and BRZs on the corners I tell myself " self, so what if she is a little chubby, she is an overachiever with tons of mechanical grip!!"
And honestly in a twisted kind of way I also love driving the Mustang, because it makes me feel good about the fact I am learning how to tame and master a heavy powerful unrefined raw car that dives, pitches and rolls, but yet fast in corners. There is something manly about it ;D
Why do people like Miatas, BRZs, Caymans, S2000 and other lightweight cars? Because they are easier to drive, more tossable and flickable and hence they make you feel as a "better" driver. We gravitate towards things and people that make us feel good.
The mustangs on the other hand, they scare you, steal your confidence until you start developing balls of steel!! And only then you start viewing the Boss 302 as a lightweight and tossable car, at least mentally.
Hey, don't take it very seriously as I was trying to be funny, however this is the way I view the Boss 302 vs others. ;)

13Boss#3328 said:
...The mustangs on the other hand, they scare you, steal your confidence and eventually castrate you until you start developing balls of steel!! And only then you start viewing the Boss 302 as a lightweight and tossable car, at least mentally.
Hey, don't take it very seriously as I was trying to be funny, however this is the way I view the Boss 302 vs others. ;)

This has got to be the most accurate quote ever!
So far I've been past the scary phase and it cost me an axle housing... among other things! Hopefully, there aren't multiple stages to this scary phase ;D

But I'd consider the BRZ/FRS before a Cayman. I've ran with a super charged BRZ at summit with slicks... and it was running circles around me! The supercharger made him quick on the straights and the slicks gave him amazing speed through the corners.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
Not selling my Boss, but I'm considering a '12 V6 Mustang to turn into my primary/dedicated track car. The new Ecoboost 4 is on the list too, but I couldn't gut a brand new car. :-\

13Boss#3328 said:
I thought it was funny! 8)

I saved along time to purchase a Porsche 911. Awesome car and very refined. A blast to drive on these TN back roads . When the boss 302 came out, it was no contest. I had to have it. I missed the great muscle car sound and the V8. Made in America muscle car. I don't regret it either. Then, again I've always been a mustang guy. The 911 had a better top end but how often can you go 200mph on these roads. Stock vs stock, I'd still take the boss everytime, of course I'm talking daily driver. Besides I didn't fit in with the Porsche groups.

I have a Black 1996 Miata (never seen winter)that used to be my wife's (R.I.P.) sun tanning machine , what a blast , its has Tokico Illuminas , Flyin Miata swaybars , Fatcat bump stops , slotted and cross drilled rotors and minilite replica wheels , as much fun as that car is to drive it still doesn't put the smile on your face that the Boss does !

Grant 302 said:
...I'm considering a '12 V6 Mustang to turn into my primary/dedicated track car. The new Ecoboost 4 is on the list too, but I couldn't gut a brand new car. :-\

If time would go back again I would've highly considered V6 Mustang. I think it is the best performance for the money. You would drive the snot out of it and don't care about putting it in the wall ...well you know what I mean..kind of.
You could get it for sub $20K if you had some Ford plan. Lighter weight with better weight distribution.
The Boss is an icon, it just disturbs me, the fact I am taking it to the track especially when I see other people ( I call them smarter people) bringing a gutted POS junk and beating on them and never care about leaving them in the track dumpster lol.
So...since I already have the Boss 302, might as well keep her and then transition into a dedicated track car that I can leave in the dumpster with a smile in my face ;D

13Boss#3328 said:
If time would go back again I would've highly considered V6 Mustang. I think it is the best performance for the money. You would drive the snot out of it and don't care about putting it in the wall ...well you know what I mean..kind of.
You could get it for sub $20K if you had some Ford plan. Lighter weight with better weight distribution.
The Boss is an icon, it just disturbs me, the fact I am taking it to the track especially when I see other people ( I call them smarter people) bringing a gutted POS junk and beating on them and never care about leaving them in the track dumpster lol.
So...since I already have the Boss 302, might as well keep her and then transition into a dedicated track car that I can leave in the dumpster with a smile in my face ;D

This is my dilema as well. But I don't really have the space to store a Miata even. And time to maintain both. I keep coming across prepped Miatae here and there and it's just too tempting...

If you're not happy with the car OP I would look for something else, I have debated this many times, money is the issue in my case and the fun/happy factor keeps me with it. Are you looking for lightness and refinement or just lightness? If just lightness I would look into an LS swapped something, like the E36 LS swaps or an LS Miata/FRS/BRZ swap.

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
13Boss#3328 said:

You've pretty much summed up my reasons for considering adding the V6. I like the creature comforts I ordered on the GT and still need a daily driver that isn't 'full race'. The V6 will take any suspension and brake performance take off parts from the GT, giving an economical upgrade path for the GT too. Track rubber and wheels could be shared. Which is also why a newer STi is also on the list because 18x10 wheels will cross-bolt.

WinterSucks said:
This is my dilema as well. But I don't really have the space to store a Miata even. And time to maintain both. I keep coming across prepped Miatae here and there and it's just too tempting...

Miatae. Never heard that before. :D 8)

TMO Supporting Vendors