The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Beater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The guy just contacted me, thanks. Watching the F1 practice with Madison, she's a big Verstappen fan.
Good luck on the tow, have you tried tapping on the starter with a wrench?

View attachment 75643
Yup wacked it a few different times. Tried the jiggle the shifter while in neutral. Tried jumping many different times last even. Even completely disconnected the battery and ran straight off my friends truck - just 1 click. Voltmeter reads 13.6 with cables on so running through batter ok. Tried using different key fob just in case something weird with the alarm. It's an 08 but only 72k miles. Took out batter and had tested 12.43 - the tester may be off but still should have jumped. Can't do a load test. Been messing with 4 2 evenings - just gonna tow to my shop.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Kazar the issue is tons of 18x10s available, but almost all state , " Rear only." You can get a set of Enkeis , but they will likely run you just under 1500 ( TireRack - Luke Pavlik , ext 4362 ).

Luke is the race guy, the real deal track rat, and in fact he is out of the office right now racing in " One Lap of America !"

Last edited:
Kazar the issue is tons of 18x10s, but almost all state , " Rear only." You can get a set of Enkeis , but they will likely run you just under 1500.
Bunch o questions . What's the difference with the "rear only"- offset? Front brake clearance? Is it just because oem specs does not call for 10" up front? Liability? I did see they sell staggered sets 9 or 9.5 up front and 10 for rear. Is that for one of the reasons above? Will a rear 10 with a small spacer up front work? Is it even needed? I'm not being smart. I don't know. We run wide square and make it work. That's why I ask.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
Good questions to ask, but a bunch of us ran Enkeis for years as they work fine and most of the guys I knew just ran a small spacer up front.

One other plus with TireRack is their huge selection ( wheels and tires ) means you can have the tires mounted and shipped with the wheels --- that adds up to another little savings.

Last edited:

Dave_W

Cones - not just for ice cream
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Connecticut
I think the "rear only" warning is usually due to offset and strut clearance on the front. Apex Wheels (site sponsor) has a good article on fitment options. Their 18x10 for the S197 is an ET40 offset, and they don't specify using a spacer on the front; their 18x11 is ET52 and they do say you need usually a 25mm spacer on front along with extended lug studs and open lug nuts.

I think the "rear only" warning is usually due to offset and strut clearance on the front. Apex Wheels (site sponsor) has a good article on fitment options. Their 18x10 for the S197 is an ET40 offset, and they don't specify using a spacer on the front; their 18x11 is ET52 and they do say you need usually a 25mm spacer on front along with extended lug studs and open lug nuts.
Apex has the best wheel fitment guides on the interwebs! I know I must have read through the S197 one at least 10 times before ordering my first set of track wheels - 19 x 11 w 25 mm spacer up front. And also chatted with Cory a few times - great customer service. Knowing about spacers was why I went with my line of questions with the "rear only" stuff with Bill a few posts up.

@blacksheep-1 is trying to be economical with his wheel selection and was wondering if a better priced " rear only" wheel would work up front with a small spacer and slightly aggressive camber. He has the longer studs.

There can be a wrench thrown in which wheels when working outside fitment guides and not using the guide's brand with the correct offset. I ran into a situation with my build and had to work outside or the box because did not want to purchase a second set of wheels for the street. Before I did the 6 piston big brake upgrade I had to research and make caliper templates to see if the 2015 Mustang OEM 20" wheels would fit the calipers- Nope definitely could not happen with a 42.5 ET and wheel design. After placing various materials for spacers thickness and test fitting the wheels I ended going with a hubcentric 15mm. After the full installation the brake clearance was 4.25mmish and everything works - Brembo states 3mm clearance. Sure, I could have run the 25 mm spacers but would have had to probably run track camber all if the time for tire/fender clearance. After the alignment the 15 mm allows an aggressive street camber of 1.3 with plenty of clearance. With the camber plates slammed and 25mm I am right at 3.0.

Probably, what is going to happen here, is my 07 Gt500 wheels with the new Goodyears will end up on the car, either that or they will end up back on the Shelby and those will end up on Superbeater with new rubber.

Although, the drifts do look pretty zoomy on the shelby. They are 18x10s

View attachment 75671

View attachment 75672
The 500 wheels will look classic and super nice on the build. You have new rubber on them. What the heck -run for a couple years and see what happens. Who knows what kind of deal will pop up. People are always wanting to go bigger. I bet someone out there bought apex or other racing wheels 18 x10 s in the past and are hungry for a new design or wanting / needing something wider and will need to free up some cash....

TMO Supporting Vendors