The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Michigan
Take a look at the Hankook Vantra trailer tire. After experiencing issues with the Goodyears I went looking for another premium alternative. About that same time Hankook was launching an attempt to break into the market recognizing the frustrations with the current alternatives. The Vantra in 225/75/15 is a load range E 10-ply with an 87 mph speed rating. I have always upsized the load rating in an attempt to stave off issue. I also prefer to tow at flow of traffic speeds on the freeway so the speed rating and 10-ply made them worth a try. I have since sold that trailer but will be adding the Hankooks to the new trailer soon.

https://www.motortrend.com/reviews/hankook-vantra-trailer-tire-long-term-review/

Sorry to OP, didn’t want to turn you build thread into a tire discussion but feel strongly these are worth considering in the recent discussion.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
So Goodyear is the tire for the job? I usually tow at around 75mph, but the crappy chinese tires always have me worrried. I inspect them all the time, and keep 2 extra spares. I just don't trust them
This is the result of the china bomb that came on the ATC. Interstate speeds near 75 mph, then kapow, good thing it was on the right side so we didn’t have to deal with the traffic so close to the fog line. Trailer tire only had 4,200 miles on them. Always carry a spare !!

IMG_0118.jpeg

IMG_0120.jpeg

IMG_0125.jpeg

IMG_0121.jpeg

62007366093__C742942C-9537-4614-8E63-027BC98ACB79.jpeg

Ok, so these are " Ranier ST" 225 75x15. 8PR Load range D, steel belted.
Max load dual 2200 pounds @ 45psi
I can't seem to find a country of origin..
Looks like I won't be towing over 65mph.

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Wisconsin
Ok, so these are " Ranier ST" 225 75x15. 8PR Load range D, steel belted.
Max load dual 2200 pounds @ 45psi
I can't seem to find a country of origin..
Looks like I won't be twing over 65mph.

For now.. burn them up and get some good ones after

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Wisconsin
A good Tire Pressure Monitoring System is another item to have and metal valve stems if you use valve stem mounted pressure sensors.
Yes, I agree a trailer TPMS for the haulers but the F350 has it built into the tow package and needs a $800 control module plus the $160 sensors in the wheels. It would be nice but the china bomb I posted photos of went from running fine to kapow in a heartbeat. I check psi before we leave the paddock and before we head out. TPMS is nice but I‘m not sure that in my case it would have had me pull over ? Yes, we could have picked up debris somewhere along our trip home but that tire literally exploded, heard it, looked in my side mirrors, saw the big plume of black dust, saw and felt the trailer list (even though the other tire supported the trailer weight, we have a dual axle ) & then pulled over.

Last edited:
Yes, I agree a trailer TPMS for the haulers but the F350 has it built into the tow package and needs a $800 control module plus the $160 sensors in the wheels. It would be nice but the china bomb I posted photos of went from running fine to kapow in a heartbeat. I check psi before we leave the paddock and before we head out. TPMS is nice but I‘m not sure that in my case it would have had me pull over ? Yes, we could have picked up debris somewhere along our trip home but that tire literally exploded, heard it, looked in my side mirrors, saw the big plume of black dust, saw and felt the trailer list (even though the other tire supported the trailer weight, we have a dual axle ) & then pulled over.
I have the kit but need to install it along with the ford trailer rear camera

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
I have a TST 507 Tire Pressure Monitoring system on my trailer, less then $400 on Amazon. It will not save you from an instant blowout but it will catch leaks that can end up as blowouts. The only thing I would change is the sensors. I'd get the sensors that you don't have to remove to add or bleed air. It's a minor biznitch but I usually travel from near zero temps to much warmer temps and then the reverse. I may even go to internal sensors when I put on a new set of tires. The other benefit is you know your tire pressures without having to check each one individually and you can watch them as you roll down the road. I had a very slow sporadic leaker on my trailer. Took awhile to find it, The seal on the metal valve stem was the problem.

So.. the supertrailer finale.. of sorts.

From the passenger side rear. Belt storage, the old discs are now weights for the 12x12 easy up

20231203_132513.jpg

Table and chair storage. Also the fold down tire rack.

20231203_132519.jpg

Air compressor, scissor jack storage and spare tire, and fire extinguishers, all within reach of the door.

20231203_132530.jpg

Jack and impact wrench, wood blocks, wheel chocks and things needed for a tire change within reach of the door

20231203_132544.jpg

Last edited:
Front of the trailer showing winch, table, storage, refrigerator storage for EZ up

20231203_132557.jpg

Driver's side storage, 4x8 storage box.20231203_132650.jpg

This shows the car loading process. Sort of like a carrier landing.
1. Mirror so I can see the yellow line on the floor that starts on the ramp.
2. Large red sticker on floor that tells you where the front wheel should be.
3. Door reference, so you can pop the door open against a marked pad that tells you that you are where you need to be.

20231203_132720.jpg

20231203_132736.jpg

20231203_132729.jpg

Last edited:
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Johnson Creek, WI
Front of the trailer showing winch, table, storage, refrigerator storage for EZ up

View attachment 91572

Driver's side storage, 4x8 storage box.View attachment 91573

This shows the car loading process. Sort of like a carrier landing.
1. Mirror so I can see the yellow line on the floor that starts on the ramp.
2. Large red sticker on floor that tells you where the front wheel should be.
3. Door reference, so you can pop the doir open against a marked pad that tells you that you are where you need to be.

View attachment 91574

View attachment 91575

View attachment 91576
I think the best part is the grab rail to pull yourself up and out of the car. That would've been so nice to get in and out of our Super Late Model.

I think the best part is the grab rail to pull yourself up and out of the car. That would've been so nice to get in and out of our Super Late Model.
I love that thing!
It's kind of a tie between that, the winch ( which is already used) and the polyurethane floor are my favorites.

TMO Supporting Vendors