The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Trailer

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
I did exactly this and AC so Holly could watch football while at the track...47" Smart TV with a sound bar. Got to keep them happy...
What are you using for signal? Streaming service? Cellular data? WiFi?

Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Huntsville, AL
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Charlotte
So, a few more details, I bought some jacks to level the trailer and load the car when it was not hooked to the truck. I welded some old sockets on them so I could use a battery powered ( used to be air ratchet) ratchet to put them in place without much effort.
While I was at it, built some carry ropes for the ramps. I drilled the holes then epoxied the eyes in place.

20230913_131116.jpg

20230913_142047.jpg

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
Enlighten me, this uses a goofy plug adaptor that my RV neighbor told me about. Won't the circuit breaker on the generator take care of that?
The surge protector is not just a circuit breaker the good one protect what the generator is powering from voltage spikes or voltage drop. Surge protectors are really important if you aren't using a inverter/generator, the old style generators are notorious for fluctuating voltage. Also if you are running sensitive electrical devises, anything using a circuit board, battery chargers for tool batteries, TV, computer, etc the old style gen sets can fry those items. Same with inverters that use 12v power to supply 120 AC power. You want a pure sine wave inverter. I probably had 60+ vehicles in the fleet I supervised that were equipped with gen sets and inverters, use the good stuff. Also follow 12v wiring recommendations closely, big inverters need big cables.
Last advice on using generators, some generators have bonded grounds and some don't, you may need a bonding plug on your generator, its simply a typical 120v male plug, neutral and ground are connected and no wire on the hot post. Read up on it. Lastly any trailer that has 120 wiring should be watched or checked for "hot skin", the trailer can be "hot" and you provide the ground when your standing on the ground. The trailer is sitting on rubber tires. My dads camper had this, a screw rubbed thru the wiring and shorted the power to the chassis.
RV forums have lots of info on these issues.

The surge protector is not just a circuit breaker the good one protect what the generator is powering from voltage spikes or voltage drop. Surge protectors are really important if you aren't using a inverter/generator, the old style generators are notorious for fluctuating voltage. Also if you are running sensitive electrical devises, anything using a circuit board, battery chargers for tool batteries, TV, computer, etc the old style gen sets can fry those items. Same with inverters that use 12v power to supply 120 AC power. You want a pure sine wave inverter. I probably had 60+ vehicles in the fleet I supervised that were equipped with gen sets and inverters, use the good stuff. Also follow 12v wiring recommendations closely, big inverters need big cables.
Last advice on using generators, some generators have bonded grounds and some don't, you may need a bonding plug on your generator, its simply a typical 120v male plug, neutral and ground are connected and no wire on the hot post. Read up on it. Lastly any trailer that has 120 wiring should be watched or checked for "hot skin", the trailer can be "hot" and you provide the ground when your standing on the ground. The trailer is sitting on rubber tires. My dads camper had this, a screw rubbed thru the wiring and shorted the power to the chassis.
RV forums have lots of info on these issues.
Remarkably, as a firefighter I ran on a call to a mobile home that was" lit". The lady actually answered the door and was still inside, when she opened the door it arced, which pretty much clued us in..lol
FWIW all this stuff is grounded, but I always wondered if both the generator and the trailer have no grounding rod, how well is it really grounded.
I don't claim to be an electrician, I just sort of handled their oversights.

Enlighten me, this uses a goofy plug adaptor that my RV neighbor told me about. Won't the circuit breaker on the generator take care of that?

it saves anything connected to the generator if the voltage drops or gas runs out. I got mine for $250 from amazon.

i did it because i have a whole 50amp fuse panel and built in a/c unit

xr7

TMO Addict?
Exp. Type
Autocross
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Minnesota
So the fuel pump/ sending units got here from Alpha Centauri, Delphi is the best I could do, so I installed them. When you are trying to hold the new pumps in and start the retaining ring, it is a PITA.
So what I did was to polish/ bend the Tab down so it will ingage easier

View attachment 90283
I hated those retaining rings, half the time so much crud and rust damn hard to get out, parts dept never stocked replacements or the seal ring. The old seal rings would usually be a bit swollen to getting it back together without a leak was challenging. Clean it all up with a wire wheel a little silicone grease to hold the seal in place and start tapping the rat back in. Tapering the edges is a good idea.

TMO Supporting Vendors