The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Project Super Beater

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I like the direction this is heading! Agree about how hard it is to find modern minilites in 18 or 19 inch. Those Saleens were not bad looking but the widths and offsets weren't ideal. Ideally someone would make a 19x10.5 ET42 for the front and a 19x11 ET50-55 for the rear so you could fit some big meats on it like the old Boss 302 racecars ran.

ChrisM

Mostly harmless.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
South Carolina
You'll appreciate these. They've been the standard desktop pics on all of my computers for probably 10-15 years. If someone made Minilites like in the second pic in modern sizes and weights that I could run 315s on I would buy them right now. I challenge anyone to find a better looking rear end than these.Vintage 7.jpgVintage 2.jpg

Vintage 6.jpg

Pinstripes went on today, I was going to usev1/2 inch, but I think the 1/4inch provides enough contrast.
A couple of things if you've never done this,
1.I keep a heat gun handy so I can make the tape go around difficult corners
2. Superglue all the tape ends
3. Don't overstretch the tape, just pull it enough to take out any sag
4. When you pad the stripe down, don't run your finger down the tape, this can stretch the tape. Instead pad it down all along it's length, then go back and run your finger down the length of the tape.

20220427_101451.jpg

20220427_103231.jpg

carver

breaker of wrenches
ontario
Pinstripes went on today, I was going to usev1/2 inch, but I think the 1/4inch provides enough contrast.
4. When you pad the stripe down, don't run your finger down the tape, this can stretch the tape. Instead pad it down all along it's length, then go back and run your finger down the length of the tape.

View attachment 75275

View attachment 75276

View attachment 75275

View attachment 75276
Lookin good. Are you goin " The Full Monty " with the retro stripes and sticker's ?

Lookin good. Are you goin " The Full Monty " with the retro stripes and sticker's ?
Yep

Stickers came in today, I should be in bed since I have to get up at 3AM to catch a flight to Laguna Seca. Two days ago, after buffing this thing out, I could hardly get out of bed.. but I digress.
I couldn't wait to see how they looked so I did one side.

20220427_132027.jpg

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Yep

Stickers came in today, I should be in bed since I have to get up at 3AM to catch a flight to Laguna Seca. Two days ago, after buffing this thing out, I could hardly get out of bed.. but I digress.
I couldn't wait to see how they looked so I did one side.

View attachment 75282
I love it.

Some helpful tips, make sure you use a degreaser to clean all the wax off the car, then spray it down with a soap solution. This allows you to move the sticker around in case you miss.
You also need to decide what " straight" actually is, you can't measure from the floor because of the rake, the body belt line is also not straight. Since the white pinstripe is so dominate ( and fairly straight) I measured from there.

20220427_124949.jpg

20220427_125138.jpg

20220427_130901.jpg

20220427_125315.jpg

Last edited:

Fabman

Dances with Racecars
Exp. Type
W2W Racing
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Pleasanton: 1/2 way between Sonoma and Laguna Seca
Looks nice! Having the black top & bottom is a unique look!

Sorry if I missed in earlier posts, but it seems like you painted there at your shop. Did you do inside with just some plastic thrown up, or what? Just curious how that process went for future reference! :)

Looks nice! Having the black top & bottom is a unique look!

Sorry if I missed in earlier posts, but it seems like you painted there at your shop. Did you do inside with just some plastic thrown up, or what? Just curious how that process went for future reference! :)
No, I just covered up some stuff ( like my restored gas pump) and went for it. Since I was only doing the red it was no big deal.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Latest posts

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel