The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Re: Front Wheel Spats For 2012 Boss with WC Splitter

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Looking good. I talked to the plastics place where I purchased my materials and they said gluing the pieces together should hold just fine. And thanks for the tip on heating and bending the ABS. When is the CorteX watts link going on?

Yep it's an acrylic glue made for plastic only not regular superglue found at a hardware store. That stuff is strong. It basically melt the plastic first then bond it together. Like welding.

Watts link going on this weekend. It's been a long and cold winter here in Indy and I don't have an heated garage. Hopefully the car should be ready for my first track of the year beginning of April

I've been thinking about making an abs splitter for my Boss and had a question regarding the end spats. I know its been discussed that a smaller splitter like the WC piece can be more effective than the larger LS piece if it is lower, but what about the size of the end spats. If you're making you're own, how much advantage, if any, would there be to widen the custom splitter at the ends and then make the spats wider to match the splitter. I don't know how much wider you can go, maybe an inch or more, before the spat has to angle in toward the car. It looks like with the standard WC splitter the spats angle away a bit, so with a wider splitter at the ends the spat would be more vertical.

I guess the spat would also act as another support, provided a solid connection, so the wider splitter won't flex as much. On a related note, how thick are the Ford Racing ABS splitter's? It's difficult to tell from the pictures alone but they appear to be thicker than the 1/4" DIY ABS splitter material others have used. A local place, Professional Plastics, has a general grade ABS 1/4" x 4' x 8' sheet for $137 and a 3/8" x 4' x 8' for $237. I don't know how much stiffer the 3/8" sheet would be for reduced flex to offset the weight and cost disadvantage. Is everyone that did a DIY 1/4" ABS splitter happy with it or would you have gone thicker?

We'll I guess I should probably use the 3/8" ABS sheet then. A 50% increase in thickness should reduce flex and add to durability.

I have seen plywood splitters before and they seem to work well. Obviously for the cost alone its a good way to go. I guess I just want to replicate the Ford racing offerings on the cheap and alter the design a bit while having it look like a factory part.

Great photos Rick. That make sense how high he went as I would guess he was running tires wider than 315s. Also interesting that one of them has them attached to the splitter and other does not.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
If someone is making these to the width of the WC splitter or even slightly wider, I am interested in purchasing a set. Need installed pics first. What's already in the thread from Swiss Boss looks pretty good. Clean install and near OEM-look.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel