The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Ready to purchase my first 2012 BOSS 302 !

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Champale said:
I have never, ever heard of a 'factory stripe delete' for the Boss. GT500s yes, Bosses no.

Run away from this car. There is a reason it is so cheap - if it were a decent car, the asking price would be higher.

Sorry to burst your bubble but if it seems too good to be true, it generally is.

I'll take a snapshot of the window sticker and add it here....I'm not 100% convinced either way right now. Need to speak to some people at Ford actually looking at the car, and get some feedback.

I can't attach the image right now, perhaps someone else can do this...but I'm pretty sure this looks legit.

I stand corrected! Interesting - as someone who has owned two Bosses (a Kona Blue '12 and now a black '13 LS) I had never heard of such an option. Was this available in Canada only?

Champale said:
I stand corrected! Interesting - as someone who has owned two Bosses (a Kona Blue '12 and now a black '13 LS) I had never heard of such an option. Was this available in Canada only?
The ordering system showed option 46D "TAPE STRIPE DEL" on the 2012's but it wouldn't allow you to select it here in the US. I have it on my VOC. When I ordered mine the sales manager was showing me all the screen shots on his computer to make sure we had my order correct. This appears to be another "mistake" from the Canadian order system like the one off white stripes on the 2012 yellow blaze. I'm not sure how many were ordered this way but if this is a freak it just might have some collectors value. Maybe he should buy it if the car is mechanically sound. It won't matter if the engine has been replaced because you can't check that anymore.

BTW if that car is in our database, and I haven't looked, you'll be able to find the serial number and recreate the plate. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

NFSBOSS said:
The ordering system showed option 46D "TAPE STRIPE DEL" on the 2012's but it wouldn't allow you to select it here in the US. I have it on my VOC. When I ordered mine the sales manager was showing me all the screen shots on his computer to make sure we had my order correct. This appears to be another "mistake" from the Canadian order system like the one off white stripes on the 2012 yellow blaze. I'm not sure how many were ordered this way but if this is a freak it just might have some collectors value. Maybe he should buy it if the car is mechanically sound. It won't matter if the engine has been replaced because you can't check that anymore.

BTW if that car is in our database, and I haven't looked, you'll be able to find the serial number and recreate the plate. Sorry I didn't think of that earlier.

Thanks for all the valuable feedback guys. I will try to get some peace of mind by doing some more digging and confirming warranties etc from an official Ford service dept. as early as tomorrow. If its mechanically sound, which to me is the most important ( other than the sounds and performance of this beast), I'm pretty sure I'm going to push ahead with this purchase. I will keep you posted.

Love canada! Stripe delete not offered in US, so yeah, they made a mistake there or not. As far as I know, No crate engine for the Boss has a Vin tag on the manifold. It's like the owners package, a one time only. But I may be wrong

four-walling

Kerry, San Diego
grabbed this picture from The Mustang Source. Post #28 in this thread. This owner "de-striped" his white Boss.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/de-striped-white-12-a-509404/index2/

117118d1345073526t-de-striped-white-12-boss-302.jpg

four-walling said:
grabbed this picture from The Mustang Source. Post #28 in this thread. This owner "de-striped" his white Boss.

http://forums.themustangsource.com/f813/de-striped-white-12-a-509404/index2/

117118d1345073526t-de-striped-white-12-boss-302.jpg

Yup,

thats the one. I think personally it looks pretty sweet. Kindof a sleeper performance car. However, I do like the 2013 stripes over the hood and down to the back.

NFSBOSS said:

Just another small reason that BMO is SO valuable

NFSBOSS said:

Both of the window stickers for my two 2012 U.S. cars show "Tape Stripe Delete" under "Optional Equipment" but still came with the "Reverse C Side Stripes" and all other decals and I suggest that once the car in question was repainted the body shop decided to go the cheap way out and did not put the original stripe package (12 decals) back on as the complete stripe package for these cars is quite expensive.

As far as the value of the Boss cars going down in value once a new GT350 model comes out, don't hold your breath on that one.

If any car should have made an impact in the collector car world for Ford recently it should have been the 2000 Mustang Cobra R model and that car still today can be bought for approximately half of what they were selling for back then and collectors are still taking a beating on them today.

I almost bought one back then but the local dealer wanted $70,000 for a car that had a $59,995 MSRP and I walked away thinking that I did not want to spend that kind of money on a car that was powered by a 330 cubic inch cast iron mod motor, 3.55 gears and was no light weight at 3600 pounds. The performance of this car was okay for the day but certainly would not stay with the new generation Boss 302 cars.

As far as this car goes I suggest that this car came with the original stripe package but was never put back on after the body shop repaired the car.

Good luck with your decision.

BOSS X

Texas
To help verify if the engine is original, the last 8 characters of the VIN are stamped on the block, LH side, towards the rear just above the oil pan. I don't know if a replacement engine would be stamped.

uim9.jpg

7500RPM said:
Both of the window stickers for my two 2012 U.S. cars show "Tape Stripe Delete" under "Optional Equipment" but still came with the "Reverse C Side Stripes" and all other decals and I suggest that once the car in question was repainted the body shop decided to go the cheap way out and did not put the original stripe package (12 decals) back on as the complete stripe package for these cars is quite expensive.

As far as the value of the Boss cars going down in value once a new GT350 model comes out, don't hold your breath on that one.

If any car should have made an impact in the collector car world for Ford recently it should have been the 2000 Mustang Cobra R model and that car still today can be bought for approximately half of what they were selling for back then and collectors are still taking a beating on them today.

I almost bought one back then but the local dealer wanted $70,000 for a car that had a $59,995 MSRP and I walked away thinking that I did not want to spend that kind of money on a car that was powered by a 330 cubic inch cast iron mod motor, 3.55 gears and was no light weight at 3600 pounds. The performance of this car was okay for the day but certainly would not stay with the new generation Boss 302 cars.

As far as this car goes I suggest that this car came with the original stripe package but was never put back on after the body shop repaired the car.

Good luck with your decision.
If, and that's a big if, this car did come with stripe delete that would make it more collectible. My window sticker for a 2012 car does not state stripe delete but it's possible they did in Canada. Most likely the stripes were removed and not reinstalled. Are your cars production cars?

So think about it, if there are only 300 Cobra R's made and they aren't holding their value 15 years later what does that hold for the Boss when over 8,000 were made? I for one do not think these cars will be fetching what they cost until I'm long gone. I do think they will hold their value better than a comparable GT but anything above that is a crap shoot.

Xboxer said:
I just went over all the paperwork I was provided with yesterday. I have the extensive factory build sheets and VCIS information for this vehicle, including all the component tag numbers. This should be easy to tell if the engine was replaced....

In the Ford VCIS info, they have the Engine Tag ID: CG399AA.

Now, is this ID unique to this BOSS, or is this a 'parts no' for this block?

Any idea where this one might be found on the current block?

You may have done this already but if not I suggest that you order an "Oasis Report" for this car from a Ford dealer in Calgary as this report may be quite helpful to you?

If you are not aware of this report it will provide you with information such as the build date of the car, warranty repair history, extended coverages, warranty start date and general information on this car such as wheel size, paint code, axle code, axle ratio etc.

Good luck.

NFSBOSS said:
If, and that's a big if, this car did come with stripe delete that would make it more collectible. My window sticker for a 2012 car does not state stripe delete but it's possible they did in Canada. Most likely the stripes were removed and not reinstalled. Are your cars production cars?

So think about it, if there are only 300 Cobra R's made and they aren't holding their value 15 years later what does that hold for the Boss when over 8,000 were made? I for one do not think these cars will be fetching what they cost until I'm long gone. I do think they will hold their value better than a comparable GT but anything above that is a crap shoot.

My two 2012 cars are "Pilot Production" or "Pre Production" all depending who you are talking to at Ford. That may have a bearing as to why my window stickers show stripe delete? I think we both agree that the car in question had the decals removed and not put back on.

With respect to future values for the Cobra R and new generation Boss cars it will be difficult to speculate where values for these cars will go in the near future?

Certainly the low production numbers of the Cobra R should help with its value but the car just does not do much for a lot of people especially in only one color, cast iron mod motor etc. therefore they are not in big demand and with a lack of interest the car continues to not increase in value.

With respect to the 8000 or so Boss 302 cars that certainly is a large number of cars produced for a limited two year build but if we look at the production numbers of the 2 year production run of the Ford GT cars that was over 4000 cars and they have pretty much doubled in price for a nice unit.

It all comes down to whether the car is well received by all of us car enthusiasts and the Cobra R was mediocre at best and Ford knocked it out of the park with the 2012 and 2013 Boss cars with respect to paint colors, unique features (TracKey, quad exhaust, Boss owners kits etc.) and very good performance for the dollar.

I suggest that the value of a low mileage and pristine condition 500A spec Boss cars will still do well over the next 5 years or so and that a low mileage and a pristine 501A spec Boss cars will not only do very well but will well exceed the future values of any 2000 Cobra R.
[
/quote]

I personally think that the problem with the Cobra R, was not the power, but the body style. Next to the Mustang II, it's the next body style that I do not like

I called yesterday to my local Ford dealer (Crowfoot Ford in Calgary), and let them know of the potential purchase and potential service work I may need to get done with them down the line.

They were more than happy to go over the records for this vehicle, including warranty repairs, warranty history etc. Future warranty work.

I was told EVEN if the engine was replaced (which we don't know yet, they are taking it over to the other Ford dealer for inspection today/looking tomorrow or Thur), its still under the 5yr/100000km powertrain warranty which expires JULY 27, 2017 (started July 27, 2012). The vehicle had no warranty repairs under Fords records ( unfortunately being an idiot, and trying to drive this machine in a Canadian winter doesn't qualify as under warranty ;) ).

The 'Oasis Report' you talk of, I believe I have it. I have a 5-pg booklet that came with the window sticker package from the lot. Its got everything on it....colors, tag id's, axle ratio etc .

It even mentions, under 'Minor Features'..... Accent Stripe - EBONY ( possibly the BOSS stripes, and confirming it did indeed come with...?)

Either way, with the stripes, they don't help it go any faster..... ;)

Thanks again everyone for the input, and interest. Its easy to see the passion you guys have for these machines.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
After all that's been said and done in this thread, it's up to the buyer. Does the car drive ok? It is possible that it was repaired properly, and as it's still under warranty, the risk is no more than if you were buying a used GT. the late, great Carroll Shelby urged Mustang owners to 'drive the hell' out of these cars.

Let's face it, the 12/13 Boss Mustang is special. It's not an old Cobra, it's the new Boss. Factory stripe delete or not, it's a real Boss Mustang. The fact that it was damaged but still survived, does it matter if it happened on the street or the track? Sure the past damage would be reason for plenty of buyers to pass, but there will many other who would still be interested, just like the OP.

It's obvious that after the test drive, the OP wants to take a shot on this car. Half the fun of owning this is having the stripes, they are a signature of the racing heritage of this model. Driving around with just the black roof would look odd to me, the C stripes are cool.

If the 2nd dealer gives you the thumbs up, tell the dealer you will buy it if they can put the stripes back on for you, unless you buy into the whole sleeper thing or the stripe delete from the factory was a true story. If that's the case,the stripes could be a non issue. But I wouldn't walk out the door without the red key AND Trackey tune. If you think the Boss was fun to drive with the silver key, wait til you get a taste of Trackey experience.

TMSBOSS

Spending my pension on car parts and track fees.
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Illinois
OP should still be able to get a copy of the window sticker from Ford. That will confirm the truth behind the stripe delete.

Just checked it out, it works.

http://services.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/inventory/WindowSticker.pdf?vin="YOUR VIN HERE WITHOUT THE QUOTATION MARKS"

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel