The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Removing gt350 lower "air box"

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I've got the splitter and belly pan off.

The plastic box with the temp probe appears to be completely unattached however I can't seem to remove it.

Appears to be caught on something in the center on the front side. Looking at some photos it appears the front facia has some contours in it but pulling it forward doesn't seem to create enough room to get the box out.

All in an attempt to mount the zl1 tow hook without taking the entire facia off.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

30t05nd.jpg

Last edited:
Good timing as I’ll be installing mine later today. I’ve had the whole fascia off before and I was going to remove it again. My only advice is if you haven’t already done do is to remove the inner fender wells.

Good timing as I’ll be installing mine later today. I’ve had the whole fascia off before and I was going to remove it again. My only advice is if you haven’t already done do is to remove the inner fender wells.
Thanks for the reply.

Inner fender wells off and it won't come down to get out of the way?

Hope yours goes well!

That makes alot of sense based on what I was observing.

Thank you for sharing the free knowledge.

What makes good forums great!

From the zl1 installation instructions??????

Install instructions for 2015/17 (550) front tow hook receiver. The receiver can be installed by removing front fascia or by removing the lower belly pan. First after removing belly pan OR fascia, remove the plastic wire loon clip next to the right side crash sheald mounting brackit. Remove the outside air temp probe, rermove the extention from the probe and reinstall to the upper side of the lower ducting where the probe was mounted,with probe facing to the right.

Can someone explain the blue? Still looking for a way without facia removal.

Exp. Level
10-20 Years
Michigan
Although I haven't done this install, this may help:

On the RHS there is a rubber shield attached to the box with push pins:
IMG_4699.JPG

Removing the 3 forward push pins should allow you to fold back the shield to get access to the temperature sensor:

IMG_4700.JPG

It looks like the instructions require the sensor orientation to be reversed....

Note in the first photo, the rear shield location will be slightly forward, assuming you have an A/C condenser.

I did. It required taking the facia off.

The mount receiver ended up interfering with the temp probe more than i had hoped for. Had to loose the bracket and mount it direct to the bracket mount location given the location of the mount receiver. Probe in the same direction as default. Touches ever so slightly which was dissapointing.

Also had to take out one of the gray wiring harness fasteners since the mount covered the fastener mount location completely when correctly installed.

Seems a bit less than perfect but functional.

Thanks for the help!

TMO Supporting Vendors