The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

roadhouse racecar build

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drano38

Wayne
Wow, those wheels are bright! They're about like a deer hunting vest.
And those tires can be for the Monster Mustang class.
Is this really the car you brought to the Mustang Roundup in 2011? ;)
Nice mods.

roadhouse, what are your thoughts on the larger sidewall of the new tires? 315 width will help mechanical grip that's pretty simple but the side wall height has me confused. In my experience with a 275/40 tire vs. a 285/35 the taller sidewall tire works a lot better. I know the 285 is wider but the taller sidewall of the 275 seems to have more grip.

One negative I do notice the increased sidewall flex in steering feel.

Tulsa, OK
drano38 said:
Wow, those wheels are bright! They're about like a deer hunting vest.
And those tires can be for the Monster Mustang class.
Is this really the car you brought to the Mustang Roundup in 2011? ;)
Nice mods.

Thanks Wayne. Yes a few changes have been made since then! :)

Tulsa, OK
twistedneck said:
roadhouse, what are your thoughts on the larger sidewall of the new tires? 315 width will help mechanical grip that's pretty simple but the side wall height has me confused. In my experience with a 275/40 tire vs. a 285/35 the taller sidewall tire works a lot better. I know the 285 is wider but the taller sidewall of the 275 seems to have more grip.

One negative I do notice the increased sidewall flex in steering feel.

I'm really not sure how their going to work for me as I've really only ran one other slick tire size (305/645/18). I would probably agree with your pre-assessment, though. I'll report back whenever I get this mess of a car back to the track.

Tulsa, OK
Since I'm building the car to race W2W I decided I would feel safer with a halo seat so I swapped out my Sparco Evo II for an OMP RS PT 2. The new seat has much better lateral support than the Sparco and fits me very well. I took a drive around the block last night and my vision wasn't too impaired. Although a couple of my neighbors gave me some appalling looks lol.

4A0F7079-3B9D-47F6-801A-A2E15FD4898F_zpssg77quig.jpg

1F85572E-DAA2-429C-8032-4F0C9F73FE80_zpszzeuweuu.jpg

Here is another picture of the 315/680/18s. Looks less monster-truckish to me out of the garage. I did take a closer look at the front strut clearance and I will need to run a small spacer up front. Not a big deal, the poke will match the rear now ;D

0D7DE070-26EC-4AB1-B848-3CA7AD16E2CE_zpszpgy1wl4.jpg

What's next? Dropping the car off Monday to have the Torsen T2R, 3.55 FR gears, and FR finned diff cover installed. Inching my way closer to one day maybe racing this damn car....

Tulsa, OK
Logan20Bucks20Dyno20Sheet202.jpeg_zpsdulppotc.jpg

Here is my graph. Numbers are SAE on a DynaPack (hub dyno).

Red numbers (423/384) are with e85, boss intake, C&L CAI, O/R midpipe, AED perf tune.

Green numbers are Bama 91 tune and C&L CAI.

I'm now back to stock GT manifold and stock airbox and AED road course tune. HP may have dropped a little but I figure TQ has gone up. No dyno numbers but the car runs strong.

Tulsa, OK
Picked up my car yesterday after having a T2R and 3.55s installed. Can't wait to get back out on track test it out. The guy who installed the parts said everything else in the rear end looked good (axle seals, bearings, etc.) One carrier bearing broke during tear down but not a huge deal.

5511BFED-B15D-41FD-8E4B-0031FD59D164_zpsjkk1nk6x.jpg

Next round of mods will be in the aero department. I recently purchased a sheet of plywood and will begin making a new splitter soon. I have also been researching how to build my own wing and I think I'm up for the task. My goal is to keep the costs down (under $300) and end up with a decent looking, functional airfoil. Right now I am looking at ordering a foam core that will be cut to a specific NACA or other profile, I will then fiber glass the core, and fabricate some uprights. I'll document everything in here (good or bad) and we'll see how it turns out. Backyard aero FTW(L?) :) Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Here are a couple pics of some homemade wings

73+RSR+OlsenSep022b12857048641316050267.jpg

WingandDiveplanes003.jpg

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
You might want to take a look on Racingjunk to see if there are any used airfoils available for a reasonable price before you put in the fabrication effort. Then you would just have to come up with your own uprights, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Width you will be looking for is in the 67" (my size/WC size) to 72" (AJ Hartmann/Vorshlag size).

Tulsa, OK
ArizonaBOSS said:
You might want to take a look on Racingjunk to see if there are any used airfoils available for a reasonable price before you put in the fabrication effort. Then you would just have to come up with your own uprights, which shouldn't be too difficult.

Width you will be looking for is in the 67" (my size/WC size) to 72" (AJ Hartmann/Vorshlag size).

Not a bad idea to check racingjunk...

Do you happen to know the chord size of your APR wing? Or a G-stream wing? I know the AJ Hartman/Vorshlag wing is 14" but I can't find any data for the others.

Right now I'm looking at going with a 72" span and at least a 12" chord, may go up to 14".

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
roadhouse said:
Not a bad idea to check racingjunk...

Do you happen to know the chord size of your APR wing? Or a G-stream wing? I know the AJ Hartman/Vorshlag wing is 14" but I can't find any data for the others.

Right now I'm looking at going with a 72" span and at least a 12" chord, may go up to 14".

G-Stream is 12" Chord http://g-stream.com/C800.html

APR is 10" Chord http://aprperformance.com/racing-product/gt-250-adjustable-wing/

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel