The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound Tube delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

Got my kit fast, thanks to Cool Tech (Kendall)

Took me 30 seconds to remove the old tube, two seconds to pop in the firewall plug and how fast you can tighten a clamp for the rest. For the guys that do not do their own work, don't worry you can do it your self with a 10 MM socket and screwdriver.

For the sound, not too much different. In a way I like it since you can hear the motor better for real not the way it sounds in a tube, if that makes sense. I can also hear the exhaust note a little better (7/8 discs). It is not a grand difference but the whole point is cleaning up the engine compartment anyway.

Old pipe and pipe out

CIMG2485.jpg
CIMG2486.png
CIMG2487.png
CIMG2488.png

Connection points bare and with Kendall's kit installed. The last is a newer clean look :D

CIMG2489.jpg
CIMG2490.png
CIMG2491.png
CIMG2492.jpg
CIMG2493.jpg

Looks good Scott. I wonder if the cap below might work better. It's made out of delrin and snaps into place so you don't need a hose clamp to hold it on. Of course it's not available at the moment. I'll be removing my sound tube in the very near future. ;)

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/JHR-INTAKE-SOUND-TUBE-ASSY-DELETE-FOR-2010-%252d-2011-MUSTANG-GT.html

Alright guys I never read up on this sound tube give me some cluse to why it is there? I did use it to sneak in my laser jammer wires and even thought well if it is there for no reason why not use it to also sneak in some stere amp wires. So why is it there what does it do?

jec246

jeepinocala said:
Alright guys I never read up on this sound tube give me some cluse to why it is there? I did use it to sneak in my laser jammer wires and even thought well if it is there for no reason why not use it to also sneak in some stere amp wires. So why is it there what does it do?

I had the same question. Found some other posts on it in other forums. Apparently When they designed the new Mustang people complained that it was too quite with the windows up. So Ford added this "Sound Tube" to alleviate that complaint. At least that's what someone else posted on another forum. Please correct me if I'm wrong. So I see no real need for it unless you like the sound in the cabin with the windows up.

jeepinocala said:

Like Jec said, it is just to add some more sound into the passenger cabin. Does not hurt or help removing it, most people are taking it out just to clean up the engine compartment. Ford really put a lot of thought and work into this but is a little too big and that is why I took it out.

5 DOT 0 said:
Looks good Scott. I wonder if the cap below might work better. It's made out of delrin and snaps into place so you don't need a hose clamp to hold it on. Of course it's not available at the moment. I'll be removing my sound tube in the very near future. ;)

http://www.hecticparts.com/products/JHR-INTAKE-SOUND-TUBE-ASSY-DELETE-FOR-2010-%252d-2011-MUSTANG-GT.html
Rick I was thinking about that cap link you posted. While a clamp is not the most ascetically pleasing design I do not think the other cap would be best if tracking the car. I would worry that it could work loose and come off out there, not sure on that but feel better about the setup I have now.

Whoever complained their BOSS was too Quiet with the windows up never took their side discs out! My BOSS is plenty loud enough with the discs out. Ordered my sound pipe delete kit today. Will make checking my oil a little easier.

jec246

302BOB said:
Whoever complained their BOSS was too Quiet with the windows up never took their side discs out! My BOSS is plenty loud enough with the discs out. Ordered my sound pipe delete kit today. Will make checking my oil a little easier.

They were complaining that the Base GT was too quite. It just happened to stay with the BOSS since it begins life as a GT then made awesome. ;D

I'm glad I did this mod for several reasons.

One being that it really makes the engine compartment look a lot nicer. Another being that the hole in the firewall is absolutely perfect for running wires, like the one I've already run through from my "outboard" radar detector/laser jammer. Also, once you remove the exhaust plates a slightly quieter engine compartment is a good thing - though I havent' really noticed much difference.

You can't go wrong for 12 bucks. It only took a few short minutes and the pipe can go back on as easily as it came off if need be.

As an aside, instead of using the hoseclamp that came with the kit to secure the cap to the intake, I used the OEM clip that secured the soundpipe to the intake. Works perfect and looks cleaner.

The sound tube comes out with the AirAid CAI install too. They supply a cap for the firewall.
I still love rolling down the windows on those rare cool days (yes - I am rubbing it in. I am in S. Florida and it was close to 80 today ;D)
and listening to that beast roar, no side exhaust caps, Flowmaster axle backs, AirAid CAI.

hey cowboy did have to get a tune when you instaled airaid cai id like to i ordered the same thing should be getting it this week takes longer to ship to canada.

mustang920 said:
hey cowboy did have to get a tune when you instaled airaid cai id like to i ordered the same thing should be getting it this week takes longer to ship to canada.

No tune required. It is a fairly easy install, just be careful pushing the aluminum fitting for the cranckase vent hose in. I had to lube it a little because it is a very tight fit.

I re-used the factory clip and it looks much better than the hose clamp. Be careful. It was a little dark in my garage when I did mine a few nights ago and I thought the clip was plastic. It's not, it's steel, and it's got some serious tension on it. I wasn't paying close enough attention and it about broke my thumb. Removing the tube sure cleaned up the engine bay.

ace72ace

Zaino, I put that $hit on everything
Has anyone done their own sound tube delete? If you know you will use a grommet to route wiring through the firewall and also reuse the factory clamp, it seems lazy not to just find a cap for the intake at your favorite big box store or plumbing supply? Sure I can appreciate someone that doesn't have the stores nearby, so it's great there's a simple kit available for purchase. But I have all the stores I could want around here, and and wondered if anyone found a cheap and easy cap?

TMO Supporting Vendors