The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sound Tube delete

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

http://www.cooltechllc.com/Boss/Boss_SPD_Kit.shtml

Got my kit fast, thanks to Cool Tech (Kendall)

Took me 30 seconds to remove the old tube, two seconds to pop in the firewall plug and how fast you can tighten a clamp for the rest. For the guys that do not do their own work, don't worry you can do it your self with a 10 MM socket and screwdriver.

For the sound, not too much different. In a way I like it since you can hear the motor better for real not the way it sounds in a tube, if that makes sense. I can also hear the exhaust note a little better (7/8 discs). It is not a grand difference but the whole point is cleaning up the engine compartment anyway.

Old pipe and pipe out

CIMG2485.jpg
CIMG2486.png
CIMG2487.png
CIMG2488.png

Connection points bare and with Kendall's kit installed. The last is a newer clean look :D

CIMG2489.jpg
CIMG2490.png
CIMG2491.png
CIMG2492.jpg
CIMG2493.jpg

cloud9 said:
I had bought the Cooltech kit, but this just looked like something that might crack/tear at an inopportune time (like at the track) so I wanted to make sure I had a backup part.

This is what happened to mine:

SPD_zpse5afc86a.png

Yikes what happened? Did it do that on its own or did something make contact with it? I wonder if part of it ended up in the intake manifold. Did you replace it or just put your sound tube back on there?

VTBoss302 said:
It happened on its own. The cap is too soft and weak.

I replaced it with a sturdier cap I found at the local hardware store.
Thanks for posting. I was skeptical this might happen which is why I went a different route ultimately. I'm assuming these crutch tips will hold up since they're pretty thick, but I am going to snag a "Jimmy" special next time I'm at the hardware store to throw in the trailer just in case. The main thing is whatever we use I think it needs to seal to prevent additional airflow into the intake tube since it's downstream from the MAF.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
VTBoss302 said:

SPD_zpse5afc86a.png

i'd be willing to bet that happened bacause the end of the cap was drawn into the tube under vacuum repeatedly every time you start the car, let off the throttle, etc. thats exactly why i put a reinforcement into my kit (not trying to sell, just don't want my product lumped into the issue) . the $1.60 crutch foot is good too...but way more function than form for my taste.

steveespo said:
I am thinkik of epoxying a plastic disc over the tube and then reinstalling the rubber cap. should keep the vacuum from sucking the rubber in if it deteriorates. Wish Steeda just eliminated the port when they molded the elbow on my CAI.
Steve
Airaid eliminated the port on their intake.

pufferfish

Supporting Vendor
Maryland
LindsayEOD said:
Has anyone on here tried the Blowfish Racing one?
i have over 10k miles on mine without issue and i would bet it will continue to be trouble free for 50k more! i am biased though ;D

steveespo's idea is basically what i did. but instead of making the disk and intake tract an inseparable assembly, the disk is bonded to the cap, so as to not permenantly alter the intake tube. the key is to eliminate the repeated flexing of the end of the cap along the inside edge. the sharp casting slag and flaws in the end of the intake tube will act like a saw or sandpaper on the soft rubber cap. the constant flexing action itself also weakens the rubber at the edge, causing it to fail.

VTBoss302 said:

SPD_zpse5afc86a.png

Can we get a close up of that ? That looks more like rodent damage in the picture. Rats like the soft squishy parts of cars for some reason, I see it occasionally at my shop.

After seeing what happened to VT's cap I figured I would also do something to this setup (although it does look like something chewed at it). I when to Home Depot and found these, they are the same type I use to plug the brake ducts on the street:
CIMG3619.jpg

The fit was loose so I decided to get the caps that Gary bought. I could not find them in black so I picked up some white ones. While test fitting I saw it would leave little pieces behing (can't see with black?) and I was not happy about that so I put the Cooltech piece inside of the cap. This way it will not suck pieces into the intake, it worked but I was still not happy. I am thinking this will degrade further with the engine heat and FL weather. I had already cleaned the inside before I shot this pic:
CIMG3617.jpg

I went back to the store and bought the 1 1/2 inch cap. When you tighten it down it works just fine, a little smaller would be better but I feel this is better then the other options. I also left the Cooltech cap inside of this cap.
CIMG3621.jpg
CIMG3620.jpg

jneary

Performance Fords
Norcal
Warning will Robinson!!! The nipple on the intake tube appears to be vibration welded to the main tube and I snapped mine off removing the sound tube! Had to re glue it.

So the same company that makes those rubber feet make one that is 1.5" and it fits well when using the clamp. Yet another option for a cap. Looks stupid but...

Looking around for caps, everyone wants you to buy 1000 at a time...

One of the first things we did when we brought home the new hottie was yank the sound tube.

Like many here, went with the Cool Tech kit. I was un-impressed with the cap/clamp get-up so.....

I had an open CNC lathe at work and whipped this up quick. 6061-T6 aluminum with a .010 press fit. When I mean press, I mean press. Took everything I had to get it on, so I know it is there to stay.

DSC_0003-16_zps2e5802d5.jpg

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
mardis said:
One of the first things we did when we brought home the new hottie was yank the sound tube.

Like many here, went with the Cool Tech kit. I was un-impressed with the cap/clamp get-up so.....

I had an open CNC lathe at work and whipped this up quick. 6061-T6 aluminum with a .010 press fit. When I mean press, I mean press. Took everything I had to get it on, so I know it is there to stay.

DSC_0003-16_zps2e5802d5.jpg
very nice I bet some where will want you to make them one :)

Hi All,

I went with the hard plastic Lasco 1 1/2" end cap like Jimmy did. I also painted mine satin black, and it was a press on fit. However, likely due to varying tolerances, mine fit just a touch looser than I wanted. So, I wrapped the nipple on the intake tube with some good quality duct tape, and then pressed on the fitting. I think it looks and fits fine, pretty much exactly like Jimmy's photo.

However, just in case of a problem of some sort arising with it, I also purchased a harder rubber 1 1/2" plumbing end cap with a stainless steel hose clamp. I just carry this in my small tote box in the trunk, along with a 4-way screwdriver to tighten it on, just in case. The rubber piece I bought is by: American Valve, P/N RPC40 #23490, very similar, if not exactly the same as used by YellowBoss, from Lowes Home Improvement for <$3.00.

Take care,

JJ

TMO Supporting Vendors