The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Sticking clutch with 7200rpm shift from 3rd to 4th

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Has anyone tried a lighter flywheel? I wonder if it would mess with the electronics. I think it would really wake up the car, assuming it isn't just the cams faking a heavy flywheel.

HackBoss302 said:
2012YellowBoss you had the same problem and a new clutch/pressure plate has fixed your problem to date correct? I will be pushing for new clutch/pressure plate as daily driveability sucks now. My clutch is just really soft and engagement is on the floor. Anyone have the correct Ford Customer Service number?

Contact Daysha at TMS http://forums.themustangsource.com/private.php?do=newpm&u=111098

I have not had the problem return but only time will tell. I did add a high flow fluid line, MGW and driveshaft at the same time so some or all of those mods may have helped.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
I have had 3rd and 4th gear lockout over and over at RPMs over 6500, I installed a MGW shifter with a friend last weekend and I am not bullshitting you, I have not had a single locked out gear since, in one week I have put over 200 miles on it and many spirited runs over 6500 rpm,
The true test will be in April when our tracks open, I was unable to get even 1 full 1/4 pass in my car last summer due to not being ale to engage.
I havent noticed the pedal stuck to the floor, and the Boss has a better clutch then the GTs,already...if you look through the list of Boss Vs Gt differences its listed.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
unrealford said:
I have had 3rd and 4th gear lockout over and over at RPMs over 6500, I installed a MGW shifter with a friend last weekend and I am not bullshitting you, I have not had a single locked out gear since, in one week I have put over 200 miles on it and many spirited runs over 6500 rpm,
The true test will be in April when our tracks open, I was unable to get even 1 full 1/4 pass in my car last summer due to not being ale to engage.
I havent noticed the pedal stuck to the floor, and the Boss has a better clutch then the GTs,already...if you look through the list of Boss Vs Gt differences its listed.

It's posts like these that makes Gary crazy. Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? ;D LOL

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
I am going to wait and see if putting a MGW shifter on my car cures its funky clutch disorder or FCD for short. Soon as I get some money going to swap out the fluid in the trans for some Redline. probably do that the same time I do the shifter install.

PeteInCT said:
unrealford said:

It's posts like these that makes Gary crazy. Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? Did it ship yet ? ;D LOL
I've been so focused on the garage project that I forgot all about it ::)

unrealford said:

This is not meant to put your driving skills down so don't take it wrong. Since you mentioned just 3 and 4, not 5 and above 6500 not closer to the 7500 limit, I do not think you have the typical lockout problem. It sounds more like you got caught up in the shifter not being as precise as it could be. Plus the MGW did not fix the 5th gear lock out for me but has helped with smoother shifts in three and downshifting into 4Th. It has made the 5Th gear shift better, much better but not fixed.

In any case, I would find it hard to go back out on the track and enjoy myself if I had to reinstall the stock shifter.

unrealford

Mustang owner since 84
2012YellowBoss said:
unrealford said:

This is not meant to put your driving skills so don't take it wrong. Since you mentioned just 3 and 4, not 5 and above 6500 not closer to the 7500 limit, I do not think you have the typical lockout problem. It sounds more like you got caught up in the shifter not being as precise as it could be. Plus the MGW did not fix the 5th gear lock out for me but has helped with smoother shifts in three and downshifting into 4Th. It has made the 5Th gear shift better, much better but not fixed.

In any case, I would find it hard to go back out on the track and enjoy myself if I had to reinstall the stock shifter.

I agree, I am sure I still need more practice shifting with this car,,, I am excited about getting to the track ( drag strip).... Hoping for 11.8s to 12.3s....!!!!!

PeteInCT said:
unrealford said:

Damn that sounds like me ;D did it ship yet still waiting on my mgw ;D but as for the miss shifts and other problems people are having I think it is random maybe something to do with build number?

enough complaints do you think we can make a deal with ford they pay for labor we bring our own paid for clutch to be installed?

Justin

Save the dawn for your dishes!!!
jeepinocala said:
enough complaints do you think we can make a deal with ford they pay for labor we bring our own paid for clutch to be installed?
lol that would be a tough sale. what clutch would you run? I am liking the Centerforce twin disc. Comes with a nice flywheel.

PeteInCT

#LS-378 - So many Porsche's, so little time....
Connecticut
cloud9 said:
PeteInCT said:
unrealford said:

I've been so focused on the garage project that I forgot all about it ::)

I just saw this post. ;D
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WSkv_29Rncg[/youtube]

boss2511 said:
jeepinocala said:
lol that would be a tough sale. what clutch would you run? I am liking the Centerforce twin disc. Comes with a nice flywheel.

Same here.

TMO Supporting Vendors