The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

Suggestions: NT01, RS-4, MPS4s for Car Driven to and from HPDE Events

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
I'm getting the car ready for my first HPDE season! I pulled the MPC2's and swapped them for MPS4S. My initial plan was to put the cup2's on a square set of Apex wheels and track those till they are done then make a decision on tires. A top priority is that I can drive to and from the track. I'm rethinking the Cup 2's due to the drive time to some or the and I will not be trailering (VIR is 4 hours, and Dominion is 2 hours away). I didn't initially have concern for the road trip(s) on Cup2's but, if I run into weather or something especially with 2.8k street wear on them currently I'm not sure what I'll be driving back on, especially from VIR.

My thoughts now are to run the MPS4s on my OEM wheel for the VIR trip (SVT Fest) and use the Cup2's on the Apex wheels for Dominion or lastly possibly go a different route...Rs-4's or NT01 on the track wheels for everything (budget killer).

Any advice on NT01 vs RS-4 or anything your past experience would have you do in my situation would be greatly appreciated. I really wasn't considering R7's or another set of Cup 2's for now...I figure I'll be cutting my teeth in green group anyways. Thanks.

Bay Area
Well, at least you posted this at 444 because what got us here was the Boss 302. As for the tire selection. You didn’t mention your experience. But from my GT350 experience, cup 2s on the track are awesome. Driving to the track and home suck. The PS4 is a nice daily and it works well on the track. I like it because if it’s wet you can still have fun. If you’re on SC2s in the wet, well you might as well be on ball bearings.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Well, at least you posted this at 444 because what got us here was the Boss 302. As for the tire selection. You didn’t mention your experience. But from my GT350 experience, cup 2s on the track are awesome. Driving to the track and home suck. The PS4 is a nice daily and it works well on the track. I like it because if it’s wet you can still have fun. If you’re on SC2s in the wet, well you might as well be on ball bearings.

As far as on track experience very little. I’ve done quite a bit of autocrossing back in the 90’s with a time attack or two mixed in. I’ve been through GT350 Track Attack. Basically I’ve spirtitly driven mustangs over the past 27 years.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
My mustang is only driven in good weather. I run the NT-01s and they do a good job for me. I drive 70-30 track over local driving.

Thanks...I haven't put many miles on the car Just hit 3000 since I bought it back in Nov 17. It doesn't see any bad weather but, If I have an event a big concern is wet weather travel...I'm guessing it will see 2 maybe 3 track events a year. Have you driven on the NT01's in the rain at all?

If you're worried about bad weather and driving to the track I would not use NT01's or SC2's. Maybe the SC2's over NT01's in the wet. The 4S would be the tire I'd run if I was worried about wet weather. I used the RS-3 but not the 4. The 4 should be better on dry pavement but not sure in the wet. With your track experience maybe the 4S is a good choice and after those are used up revisit this question.

Bill Pemberton

0ld Ford Automotive Racing Terror
Exp. Type
Time Attack
Exp. Level
20+ Years
Blair, Nebraska
I think your idea is quite solid, but just take it to the next step. Switch the tires to new Apex rims, place a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on your R rims. Bingo, the next step is get some tire covers from Tire Rack, put three tires in the space behind your front seats, and one in the trunk. You will still have room for a jack, baggage , some tools, etc. with no problem. Good tires to drive the distance, race tires at the track. You don't need a trailer , many of us have done track events like this for years!

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
I think your idea is quite solid, but just take it to the next step. Switch the tires to new Apex rims, place a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tires on your R rims. Bingo, the next step is get some tire covers from Tire Rack, put three tires in the space behind your front seats, and one in the trunk. You will still have room for a jack, baggage , some tools, etc. with no problem. Good tires to drive the distance, race tires at the track. You don't need a trailer , many of us have done track events like this for years!
Yep, that is the way to do it. I'm an average of 4 hours from most tracks here in SoCal. That's not counting fighting LA. traffic which can tack on another hour easily. I found some thick mil 60 gallon trash bags on Amazon that I place each track wheel in and then secure with a zip tie. I get 3 tires in the back seat and 1 in the trunk.

I also pack a 1.5 ton aluminum jack, 2 jack stands, my tool kit, 2 bins that carry additional fluids plus cleaning products, an 8' pop up with 2 gravel weighted bags, 2 collapsible chairs, OE air pump, helmet, clothes bag (trips are overnight due to drive), small ice chest, and a few other misc. stuff. Oh, and the girlfriend too on most occasions.

The drag about it all is that I'm usually one of the last to leave the track since it takes a while to go through the process of changing tires and packing everything back up. I'm seriously looking at trailer options for my tires since I would like to make trips back to Laguna Seca as well as make a first trip to Sonoma and Thunder Hill. These are all 8+ hour drives anda long way to go with such a packed car.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Virginia
Yep, that is the way to do it. I'm an average of 4 hours from most tracks here in SoCal. That's not counting fighting LA. traffic which can tack on another hour easily. I found some thick mil 60 gallon trash bags on Amazon that I place each track wheel in and then secure with a zip tie. I get 3 tires in the back seat and 1 in the trunk.

I also pack a 1.5 ton aluminum jack, 2 jack stands, my tool kit, 2 bins that carry additional fluids plus cleaning products, an 8' pop up with 2 gravel weighted bags, 2 collapsible chairs, OE air pump, helmet, clothes bag (trips are overnight due to drive), small ice chest, and a few other misc. stuff. Oh, and the girlfriend too on most occasions.

The drag about it all is that I'm usually one of the last to leave the track since it takes a while to go through the process of changing tires and packing everything back up. I'm seriously looking at trailer options for my tires since I would like to make trips back to Laguna Seca as well as make a first trip to Sonoma and Thunder Hill. These are all 8+ hour drives anda long way to go with such a packed car.

Wow that’s a lot of stuff! Hopefully my son will be home from college 4th of July weekend. I’ll have him follow me with my 08 F150 and just load everything in that if he’s home.
Trailer rental is a thought in the future too but, I’m not sure how that 4.6 3 valve would tow, and clearance on rental uhaul trailers....that combined might be a bit of a pain for one person.

Bay Area
I think the F150 can handle it. I’ve seen folks using Uhaul trailers but I hear they are heavy. I’ve never loaded a car on a trailer so can’t give any advice there. I have heard there are other companies that rent out better trailers. I’m searching in my local area now for a trip in April

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
Under 3 Years
SoCal
Ha @Nvrfinished, that's been me too. Bought an F150 to carry it all and tow the car though...plus the wife, two dogs, and kids in the future. I guess you could say things are getting serious...

Good for you! Yes, I've been entertaining the thought of purchasing a used F150 and a trailer, but then I need to find the space for same. It would be so much easier to arrive at the track with everything ready except for an air pressure adjustment.

I do have my eyes on one of those Leroy Engineering tire trailers. Room for the tires, storage box and four 5-10 gallon jugs of your race fuel of choice, all in one convenient and small package. They are pricey though!

TymeSlayer

Tramps like us, Baby we were born to run...
Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
3-5 Years
Brighton, Colorado
Anyone know of tracks that would rent storage for things like this? I mean if you go to the same track often enough, it would make sense. Leave your track tires there and put them on and take them off while you're there.

This obviously won't help if you're a nomad like me but that's why I bought an enclosed trailer and a F-150 to haul all this crap around with me.

Exp. Type
HPDE
Exp. Level
5-10 Years
Philly Metro Area
I know this conversation has moved on but I adore the RS4s.

I haven't run them on the GT350, but my wife has them on her fiesta st. Talk about a tire that seemingly does everything. It's pretty quick, doesn't wear, rather inexpensive, communicates and somehow I couldn't overheat them. I caught her brakes on fire and the tires never gave a shiznit.

I have no experience with the NT01 but I have heard great things too. Probably much faster.

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel