The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The GT350R

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The existence is nothing new to BMO members but other forums are speculating all sorts of stuff and over on C5 they think the regular GT350 is meant to compete with the Z/28. LOL We know the R will be the Z slayer. ;)

The R should have:

Carbon Ceramic Brakes or CCB's (hopefully this is an option)
Carbon Fiber wheels in 19x11 and 19x11.5 (hopefully this is an option)
Michelin Pilot Cup tires specially designed for the R (similar to the Trefeo R on the Z/28 and P1) 305 up front and 325 in the rear.
Different dampers and my guess is some form of Multimatic's DSSV technology that's adjustable
Other suspension tweaks
Rear seat delete with a new design X brace
Larger front splitter
Rear wing
Different mapping on the ABS etc.
Possible additional weight savings
The track pack parts as standard

My guess is the weight of the GT350 will be 50-100 lbs less and the GT350R will be 150-200 lbs less than the GT with the CCB's and CF wheels.

The difference between the GT350 and GT350R will be much greater than the BOSS 302 and BOSS 302 LS.

Is there anything else you'd like to see on the R?

I also expect Ford Racing to make a S and C version using the FR500 identifiers. Or they could use S and RS with the C or RS being the CTSCC endurance racer and the S being the World Challenge sprint racer.

http://www.roadandtrack.com/go/future-cars/future-car-news/there-will-be-no-shelby-gt350-mustang-convertible

YellowJacketBoss302 said:
I want a rear seat!
Do you know if the rear seat delete on the BOSS LS can be reversed? That is, can a rear seat be added to an LS that would meet all the OEM safety standards?
Yes it can and the R should be no different. On the S197 there are no sensors in the back seats. If you buy an R I'm sure someone with a non R will be happy to swap parts with you including me!

Also to be clear this will be street legal and include a VIN. Don't confuse this with the Boss 302R which is a race car.

Oh my! This could lead to me spending more money than I'd like. The other path would be to get a base 350 and option it up. Which of the R components do you think would be available as option or available via Ford Racing?

06mach1 said:
I was thinking they just might put a factory roll bar in with harness bar. Didn't the original GT350 have a roll bar?
Now we're talking. I am considering shipping mine through a race shop to have that done before delivery. Having it done in the factory would be awesome, but something tells me that's unlikely.

Nothing new in this article other than the probability of the R debut in Detroit. They obviously haven't read this thread. ;) They do bring up the possibility of thinner glass or even lexan and I haven't mentioned that before. It's certainly a possibility. Does anyone know if the 2000 Cobra R had lighter glass?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017057_2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-in-the-works

And I'm still seeing elsewhere people speculating that the R is the race version of the car and won't be street legal. ::) Ford Racing will have race cars but this street legal car isn't it.

If it's as big a difference as the Cobra and Cobra R then I am interested. My 2000 Cobra R was a monster--rear seat delete, no sound deadening, plenty of hp and torque, no radio, a/c or insulation. It was an awesome car and would blow most cars away in it's price range. One of the cars I would not mind getting again.

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
NFSBOSS said:
Nothing new in this article other than the probability of the R debut in Detroit. They obviously haven't read this thread. ;) They do bring up the possibility of thinner glass or even lexan and I haven't mentioned that before. It's certainly a possibility. Does anyone know if the 2000 Cobra R had lighter glass?

http://www.motorauthority.com/news/1017057_2016-ford-mustang-shelby-gt350r-in-the-works

And I'm still seeing elsewhere people speculating that the R is the race version of the car and won't be street legal. ::) Ford Racing will have race cars but this street legal car isn't it.

I'm guessing we'll see Multimatic's REAL R-version in January at the Roar Before the 24! :)

Grant 302

basic and well known psychic
cloud9 said:
Now we're talking. I am considering shipping mine through a race shop to have that done before delivery. Having it done in the factory would be awesome, but something tells me that's unlikely.

How about a stop at Watson Racing first? Would be close enough to factory for me!

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
cloud9 said:
Definitely an option.

Watson and/or Rehagen would be able to turn it into a true race car easily...for a price. Watson is already working on 2015 parts, including a couple different flavors of roll bar: http://shop.watsonracing.com/2015-S550-Mustang-s/1905.htm

1. CCB's yup.
2. DSSV dampers, I think so.
3. no back seat and way lighter yes.
4. stiffer springs yes, softer bars, yes.
5. I've heard its the best handling Mustang ever including the new GT350.... that is AFTER it got re-tuned based on the Nurburg testing.

Wish I knew more but its only rumors and hearsay.

twistedneck said:
1. CCB's yup.
2. DSSV dampers, I think so.
3. no back seat and way lighter yes.
4. stiffer springs yes, softer bars, yes.
5. I've heard its the best handling Mustang ever including the new GT350.... that is AFTER it got re-tuned based on the Nurburg testing.

Wish I knew more but its only rumors and hearsay.
Nice.

I've read elsewhere that the new Z/28 fighting GT350 is not going to be called the R model. Don't count on that. They speculate that the R is the racing version like the 302R. What they either don't know or forgot is the CTSCC FR500 version, or endurance racer, was labeled the C before the BOSS 302R. The R is well known in the GT350 world so expect the street legal GT350R to be announced in Detroit. My sources have been pretty spot on so far and I don't expect them to have this wrong either. ;)

Do you think the recent reduction and "fire sale" of the Z28s for 20% off will have any effect on pricing for the 350 and R? With GM having to reduce their vehicles (Buick, GMC, chevy) including their unsold Zs maybe that was expected by ford and is why they were saying we would be suprised about prices? I wonder when we will get more regular 350 info like specs or pricing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel