The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The new Z/28 vs. BOSS 302 On Track

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveespo said:
Derek let the Z/28 by because he thought he would spin after passing him.......guess only Rick makes that happen. ;D
;D

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
steveespo said:
New vettes are awesome, if they don't blow up. See Car and Driver Lightning Lap issue this month.

Absolutely outstanding times put down by the Stingray and Z/28.

mikebxb

2012 BOSS 302 0782 no mods yet
Texas
NFSBOSS said:
Please post comments and like this video on youtube. Please keep the comments civil. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dtb-bGxHdZk

Nice video.
boss driver sand bagging? giver a little more throttle post turn apex (curve exit) please. the boss can take it & likes higher revs.

Me sandbagging? LOL hardly. That was only my second day ever on R comps so I was/am still learning their limits. The Z driver is vastly more experienced than me but that was only his second track day in the car and it was blistering hot that day. That video was shot in one of the late morning sessions and it was well into the 90's already. It topped out later that day at 108! As I stated before I think he would have pulled away from me but I was surprised how even the cars were in a straight line. Other than having higher corner speed than me we were dead even and as you can see I was out breaking him. One other point on me sandbagging is if you were to see the earlier part of the video that I edited out I waited several seconds for him to catch up and pass me. ;)

mikebxb

Texas
thnx for fast reply . before I finish reading it , please lemme clarify - I wasn't slamming you. rather a little friendly critique

mikebxb

Texas
NFSBOSS first I personally think its great you share your track experiences with us on here. I enjoyed the video.
My previous critique was focused on the way you approach and exit the curves. (not the Z/28 or any race and btw it WAS pretty even)
I've yet to track my Boss but I've driven sports cars since my 2nd car in 1972. Fortunately I was trained early how brake ahead/approach & power thru a curve. My home in KY provided lots of winding, hilly two lane roads with with to practice. I've seen guys buy a car that handles well and improperly take a curve too hot relying on the cars steering and tire grip (not throttle) to offset the lateral force.
Once you learn how to set up and break your rear end loose and steer with throttle it opens up a whole new world.
rock on brutha

mikebxb

Texas
Ha NO I wish!
but see how he mostly stays in the power band, slows ahead of the curve (preserving brakes) turns in & aggressively throttle steers out on the exit..
Just a good example
Of course his gearing is vastly different. I feel as close as ours are spaced with the 3:73 rear gear we'd be shifting a lot more.

Drove mine yesterday and just on the boulevard reg traffic its almost 3Krpm at 40 mph in fourth.. way different than previous corvettes owned. I think the boss with its torq reduction is happiest above 3K rpm, with my open side exhausts it sounds like I'm racing all the time. heh heh

Tulsa, OK
mikebxb said:
NFSBOSS first I personally think its great you share your track experiences with us on here. I enjoyed the video.
My previous critique was focused on the way you approach and exit the curves. (not the Z/28 or any race and btw it WAS pretty even)
I've yet to track my Boss but I've driven sports cars since my 2nd car in 1972. Fortunately I was trained early how brake ahead/approach & power thru a curve. My home in KY provided lots of winding, hilly two lane roads with with to practice. I've seen guys buy a car that handles well and improperly take a curve too hot relying on the cars steering and tire grip (not throttle) to offset the lateral force.
Once you learn how to set up and break your rear end loose and steer with throttle it opens up a whole new world.
rock on brutha

Not doggin on your skills at all, as I'm sure you're an excellent driver, but have you done any track driving? It's hard to compare driving aggressively on the street to driving on track.

And while hanging the rear out is fun and all, it's certainly not the fastest way around a corner. ;)

mikebxb

Texas
roadhouse said:
And while hanging the rear out is fun and all, it's certainly not the fastest way around a corner. ;)
Excellent point
a drift ...be it two or 4 wheel reduces forward progress.
But as demonstrated in the video I posted. Proper setup or entry with suspension, steering, grip AND throttle combined should improve times.i
Admittedly I've not tracked and having to deal with others in front and back to avoid damage adds a dimension I have no experience with. My point of properly executing a curve after first testing & learning the limits of ones ride, is valid.
a buddy years ago bought himself an MG Midget ( he had spent no previous time learning the former) takes me riding and to show how great his little car holds the road he comes too hot into a curve and just turns the wheel thinking the car was "on rails" . Scared hell outa me, a wonder we didn't flip it or at least do a ground loop. Imagine if it had been a more powerful vehicle

ArizonaBOSS

Because racecar.
Arizona, USA
4-wheel drift might net you a couple MPH in corner entry speed but it's gonna eat your tires over time if you're doing that consistently. There's always a trade-off :(

mikebxb

Texas
my next mod is to get the darn thing down to one color. Kona Blue.. and that includes top, hood and spoiler. Who decided on the tri colored paint scheme...Liberace?
Love my forged internals, hand made engine, factory suspension, short throw close ratio shifting, trackey but just the boss 302 striping is enough flash for me.

mikebxb

Texas
1) so it really is a decal?
2) will it leave residue? spots?
thnx
3) the roof is painted ..right?
4) the spoiler (tire matching black i guess can be removed and dropped off at the paint shop

TMO Supporting Vendors

Buy TMO Apparel

Buy TMO Apparel