The Mustang Forum for Track & Racing Enthusiasts

Taking your Mustang to an open track/HPDE event for the first time? Do you race competitively? This forum is for you! Log in to remove most ads.

• Welcome to the Ford Mustang forum built for owners of the Mustang GT350, BOSS 302, GT500, and all other S550, S197, SN95, Fox Body and older Mustangs set up for open track days, road racing, and/or autocross. Join our forum, interact with others, share your build, and help us strengthen this community!

The R is on the move

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuhrius said:

So much for the sticker on the driver's door window for the loading of GT350s on the auto hauler!!!

051.jpg

A few pics (assuming I've linked them correctly).

Some include my Boss, and some include the car that started it all for me. I grew up in a 'Ford Family' (a family that drove mostly Fords) but my dad also had a fondness for English cars...we had a Jensen interceptor convertible - with the Chrysler 440cid 'slant,' for instance. We, then, moved to England and my dad owned some epic cars: E-Type V12 2+2 with a Webosato roof; Triumph Stag with the small-black chevy V8; and a Volvo 850 wagon that we constantly toured Europe in. I loved that Volvo...a sparkly gold color with a black vinyl roof and a huge pull-back moonroof (much like the Webasto). Good times.

When we came back to the US, we came back to the '69 Galaxie 500 XL convertible (red with a white top, 429cid) that my dad had bought in 1970 - a year old - that I drove through high school and into college and that my friends still refer to as the BRTD - Big Red Thirsty Devil...the Jensen (probably the most beautiful car I've ever seen) and he'd bought a huge blue / grey Econoline 250 stretch van - aka 'the Van of Doom.' When I met my wife in high school at age 16, she was driving the Emberglo '66 GT seen pictured at my parents-in-law's house...a car my father-in -law has owned for 45+ years...a 289cid 4-speed stick, no power steering or brakes...a beast to drive. I was in love - with the car and the women who'd eventually be my wife. That was 30+ years ago for me.

But in my mind's eye, I'd always envisioned myself coming out of T4 at Laguna Seca, hauling ass down that back-straight in a white / blue stripes 65 GT350. Always. I wanted to be a race car driver. And I'd always wanted to race a Shelby.

A few years after I left home for college, my dad ended up buying a Shelby...a 1970 GT350 convertible in Jade Green (a '1 of 1' car). I got to drive it...and loved it...but it was an auto trans and a convertible...so I never felt like I had experienced a 'real' Shelby. I worked at Ford for years and had all the good Fords when I was there. But that was a long time ago...and I've owned a lot a different great cars, from different brands, in the interim.

When the Boss came around, I felt as if it was the closest thing to Carroll's legacy that Ford had built in a long time...though I never had a strong feeling for the old Boss's / Mach's / etc. I wasn't a 'Shelby' GT500 fan, and the standard 'stang didn't measure up. So I bought a Boss and I've loved it...absolutely loved it..but I've never felt that 'Shelby' love...

And, now, with this GT350R, I feel as if I've been able to stitch together a lifetime of love / appreciation for great cars, a strong affinity for Ford (a brand that stands for things I believe in), the sense for what a racer like Carroll wanted in a car, and the joy / validation that comes from having a bunch of rich SOB's standing around my garage this afternoon, pouring over this marvel of affordable engineering...guys that own, basically, any car you can think of.

If there's ever been an exclamation point on a person's car journey, this is it...for me, anyway.

v8eKmb4.jpg
CZ4Rmcx.jpg
VAsyMzE.jpg
pgN25JF.jpg
PujgytG.jpg
JrwiQkH.jpg
6tz3K9S.jpg
lsVuZoZ.jpg
78YantJ.jpg
sCfR4pw.jpg
lmuL0I3.jpg
1CyjrWI.jpg
1xaeq9i.jpg
BRGHmrd.jpg
xFjn8bk.jpg
GI6SMqn.jpg

VoodooBOSS said:
Great story and great looking 350R. How does it drive? ;)

The car really is remarkable. I'll write more tomorrow (or later today, technically, since it's late here), but it's an absolute joy and a total show-stopper. wow, it's good.

302 Hi Pro

Boss 302 - Racing Legend to Modern Muscle Car
Southeast
Very happy to see you received her last week. I was rooting for you from the East Coast!

All the best with your new "R".

Now, what are some of the names on your short list?

Enjoy,
302 Hi Pro

Austin
Nice! I'm a little jealous of how perfectly your hood is aligned. I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw or if they give the R's a little extra attention.

Austin
VoodooBOSS said:
I saw some photos of another car that was delivered this week and the hood alignment did not look good. Hopefully they fixed that during the Christmas break at the plant.

Yeah, I've definitely seen worse. I'll try adjusting it when I get a chance. Too busy enjoying the break-in for now. :)

Fuhrious, that was an extremely elegant and well organized story you told in the initial post. You framed it in a way such that everything points to the R you finally had delivered. Good for you, man.

VoodooBOSS said:
I saw some photos of another car that was delivered this week and the hood alignment did not look good.

I have this strange sense that you're talking about mine... :D

TMO Supporting Vendors